Job opening: IT CYBERSECURITY SPECIALIST (INFOSEC) (T5)
Salary: $83 477 - 108 521 per year
Published at: Aug 31 2023
Employment Type: Full-time
THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 5 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION.
This National Guard position is for a IT CYBERSECURITY SPECIALIST (INFOSEC) (T5), Position Description Number T5895000 and is part of the AL 117TH Air Refueling Wing, National Guard.
ORGANIZATION: 117th ARW, BIRMINGHAM, AL
SELECTING OFFICIAL: Lt Col M. BURNS
**THIS POSITION IS ELIGIBLE FOR A RECRUITMENT INCENTIVE OF UP TO 25%**
1. Serves as a technical expert and focal point for Information Technology (IT) security and information assurance policies, planning, programs, initiatives, certification and accreditation. Provides advice and assistance regarding security aspects of processing, storage, retrieval, transmission, and access of classified and unclassified information. Administers and monitors installation compliance with all applicable DoD, USAF, National Guard Bureau (NGB) and Air National Guard (ANG) Information Assurance regulations and policies. Administers and maintains the organization certification & accreditation process for assigned SCIF(s) using the Risk Management Framework (RMF), and coordinates, compiles and maintains all certification & accreditation documentation for appropriate accreditation authorities. Reviews and implements local policies regarding system access, network rights, and physical access to systems and equipment. Conducts risk and vulnerability assessments of DoD classified information systems to identify associated vulnerabilities, risks and protection needs. Leads or serves as a member of the configuration control board for applicable installation facilities/networks (35%)
2. Evaluates and assesses vulnerabilities of classified network and application server hardware, operating system software, and peripheral network equipment such as routers, bridges, switches, attached cabling system, network interface cards, modems, multiplexers, and concentrators. Updates hardware and software architecture databases to reflect installations, turn-ins, and changes in reportable software. Provides input to the ANG Continuity of Operation Plan (COOP) procedures for system disaster recovery. COOP recovery includes reestablishment of systems at multiple sites and locations. Conducts evaluations to ensure compliance with applicable standards. Ensures system backups are performed to ensure expedient restoration of respective network equipment. (25%)
3. Reviews national, DOD and other policies, program proposals, operational and strategic plans, and identifies issues requiring tier two actions or inputs. Based on these reviews, provides technical recommendations for changes to the security posture to the Wing Information System Security Manager (ISSM). Prepares and presents applicable briefings and reports to high-level managers. Advises the Wing ISSM and Group/Squadron Commander on the impact of tier two level Information Assurance (IA) and Computer Network Defense (CND) policy on squadron group/squadron activities. Implements audit measures to ensure activity compliance with regulatory requirements. Participates in inspections and surveys of computer system. Incumbent makes recommendations to the Wing ISSM on the approval of various computer operations based on security guidelines. When feasible, provides alternatives to the Wing ISSM and Group/Squadron Commanderto meet security requirements based on the unique needs of the organization and mission requirements. Develops guidance papers on security issues affecting classified systems, enclaves, and applications. (15%)
4. Analyzes equipment and software reliability and suitability for vulnerability assessment utilization. Conducts analyses of classified network usage, hardware and software capabilities, ineffective practices or procedures, equipment shortcomings, and other relevant factors. Recommends methods and procedures and coordinates corrective action to optimize utilization of present equipment. Uses benchmarks, performance measurement, and evaluation data, in conjunction with vulnerability assessment techniques. Develops recommendations or proposals involving a variety of specialized systems to improve operational efficiency. (15%)
5. Determines, develops, and ensures cooperation and coordination with related IA/CND program efforts. Incumbent must analyze the vulnerabilities and weaknesses of existing computer security programs that could benefit from group training and translate those needs into training and education media for the ISSM. Designs and delivers to the Group/Squadron Commander tailored programs of instruction to reduce risks, increase the level of computer security awareness, and improve the security posture for the automated systems and activities. (10%)
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Federal employment suitability as determined by a background investigation.
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
- Must possess a TOP SECRET clearance with SCI prior to appointment.
- This is an Information Security Workforce position. Selectee must meet position requirements for certification at Level II in Information Assurance Technician (IAT-II) within 6 months or less of appointment to this position.
- Certification requirements may be found in DoD 8570.01-M Information Security Workforce Improvement Program.
- The employee will be required to have, or obtain, and maintain a valid driver?s license.
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: Each applicant must fully substantiate (in his/her own words) that he/she meets the requirements of the Specialized Experience listed below: Otherwise, the applicant will be considered unqualified for this position. DO NOT COPY THE VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT OR THE POSITION DESCRIPTION.DOING SO MAY RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION FOR THE POSITION.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: 1-year specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade experience that demonstrated accomplishment of computer project assignments that required a wide range of knowledge of computer requirements and techniques pertinent to the position to be filled. This knowledge is generally demonstrated by assignments where the applicant analyzed a number of alternative approaches in the process of advising management concerning major aspects of ADP system design, such as what system interrelationships must be considered, or what operating mode, system software, and/or equipment configuration is most appropriate for a given project.
- Address AL 117TH Air Refueling Wing
5401 East lake blvd
Birmingham, AL 35217-3595
- Name: Matthew Burns
- Phone: 205-714-2460
- Email: [email protected]