Job opening: Exercise Planner
Salary: $90 744 - 117 963 per year
Published at: Feb 12 2024
Employment Type: Full-time
About the Position: Serves as an Exercise Planner for the Joint Activities Command at Fort Liberty, NC.
This position is a Term Appointment Not To Exceed 30 September 2025 and cannot be converted to permanent.
Support planning of Command’s Readiness Exercises, Four-Star directed Readiness Exercises, shorter duration Table-Top Exercises and Command Post Exercises.
Assist in the design exercise scenarios based on likely or possible operational Contingency Plans that address particularly hard problem sets, involving the application of emerging technologies and tactics.
Provide exercise inputs to Geographic Commandant Commanders for preparation of the Significant Military Exercise Brief.
Apply technical expertise in crafting and molding special operation mission exercises that balance realism, unit training objectives and the constraints of simulation in the intelligence arena.
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- Incumbent must be able to obtain and maintain a Top-Secret clearance with access to Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI).
- This is a drug testing designated position and requires the incumbent to complete a drug test examination prior to appointment and periodically thereafter.
- This position may require Temporary Duty (TDY) 30 days or less travel to various locations approximately 25% of the time.
- May be required to work uncommon tour of duty hours, working either fixed or rotating shift which may include evenings, weekends and/or holidays.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain Passport Agent Certification through Department of State.
- This position is Deployable and is expected to travel OCONUS on a regular, rotating basis and/or on short notice. Immunizations are required for the deployed location.
- A physical is REQUIRED as a condition of employment prior to appointment and as needed, thereafter.
- Appointment to this position is subject to a one-year trial period unless previously completed.
Who May Apply: Only applicants who meet one of the employment authority categories below are eligible to apply for this job. You will be asked to identify which category or categories you meet, and to provide documents which prove you meet the category or categories you selected. See Proof of Eligibility for an extensive list of document requirements for all employment authorities.
30 Percent or More Disabled VeteransCurrent Department of Army Civilian EmployeesCurrent Department of Defense (DOD) Civilian Employee (non-Army)Interagency Career Transition Assistance PlanMilitary Spouses, under Executive Order (E.O.) 13473Non-Department of Defense (DoD) TransferPeople with Disabilities, Schedule APriority Placement Program, DoD Military Spouse Preference (MSP) Eligible
In order to qualify, you must meet the experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Specialized Experience: One year of specialized experience which includes assisting in planning and conducting joint field training exercises and operations; preparing a wide range of correspondence such as policies, procedures and instruction in support of the joint exercise program; and communicating clearly and effectively with senior leaders and high-ranking officials. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-11).
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone, no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:
Information ManagementPlanning and EvaluatingTechnical Competence
Time in Grade Requirement: Applicants who have held a General Schedule (GS) position within the last 52 weeks must have 52 weeks of Federal service at the next lower grade or equivalent (GS-11).