Job opening: ENGINEERING TECHNICIAN
Salary: $78 307 - 101 796 per year
Published at: Dec 07 2023
Employment Type: Full-time
You will serve as an ENGINEERING TECHNICIAN in the Public Works Directorate (Utilities Management, Metering Operations) of NAVFAC SOUTHWEST.
You will discuss and coordinate daily work assignments and operational priorities with others to accomplish work-related activities.
You will perform complete engineering studies, analyses, and calculations to determine required utility metering designs for facilities, utility systems, and utility distribution systems.
You will prepare designs and specifications, analyze and resolve design problems with consultants for metering and utility control systems (UCS) installation on electrical, gas, water, steam, compressed air, and sewage systems.
You will perform final evaluation and certify acceptable completion of newly installed or modified metering equipment and UCS equipment for conformance to performance to ensure projects stays within budget and meets project goals.
You will conduct field surveys and investigations to determine the condition of utility system metering and UCS equipment, and perform analysis and troubleshooting to diagnose and correct issues.
You will program and configure electronic, digital, and mechanical meters, and utilize various computer programs to define meter parameters and update firmware and configure them for network connectivity.
You will install, modify, load, test and repair precision measuring devices, instruments, and wiring to monitor utility parameter.
Using various test equipment, field devices will be calibrated and defined to reflect accurate utility consumption and demand data.
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Must be determined suitable for federal employment.
- Must participate in the direct deposit pay program.
- New employees to the Department of the Navy will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit e-verify.gov
- Generally, current federal employees applying for GS jobs must serve at least one year at the next lower grade level. This requirement is called time-in-grade. Time-in-grade requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
- Within the Department of Defense (DoD), the appointment of retired military members within 180 days immediately following retirement date to a civilian position is subject to the provisions of 5 United States Code 3326.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service.
- You will be required to obtain and maintain a current valid United States driver’s license.
- You will be required to obtain and maintain an interim and/or final secret security clearance prior to entrance on duty. Failure to obtain and maintain the required level of clearance may result in the withdrawal of a job offer or removal.
- You will be required to successfully complete a pre-appointment physical examination.
- You will be required to wear personal protective equipment such as helmets, gloves, coveralls, glasses, goggles, respirators and safety shoes continuously for the duration of the work shift.
- Work is performed in areas where potentially harmful physical and chemical agents are present (e.g. fumes, dust, heat, ionizing and non-ionizing radiation and chemicals). You will be required to participate in medical surveillance programs.
- This position may require travel from normal duty station to CONUS and OCONUS and may include remote or isolated sites. You must be able to travel on military and commercial aircraft for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to successfully complete the following training courses within prescribed timeframe: All FY Mandatory and IDP Training as required.
Your resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-10 grade level or pay band in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private or public sector. Specialized experience must demonstrate the following: 1. Utilizing engineering concepts, principles and practices applicable to utility systems, utility metering, and utility controls systems (UCS) to operate and maintain the utility distribution network, 2. Prepare designs and specifications, analyzes and resolves design problems for metering and UCS installations on electrical, gas, water, steam, compressed air, and sewage systems, 3. Performs evaluation and certifies the acceptable completion and installation of utility metering and UCS equipment for conformance to performance requirements, 4. Conducts field surveys and investigations to determine the condition of utility metering and UCS equipment and study operational problems, 5. Performs analysis and troubleshooting to diagnose and resolve problems, and makes timely corrections and recommendations for process improvement. Utilizes various computer software to configure field devices and update firmware, 6. Installs, modifies, loads, tests, and repairs digital, electronic, and precision measuring devices, and calibrates and configures metering and UCS equipment to register accurate consumption and demand profiles, 7. Maintain meter sheets and update meter single line diagrams for accurate field installation representation. Plans, develops, and implements maintenance program, and retains accurate inventory of utility system metering equipment. NOTE: This information must be supported in your resume to be considered for the position.). NOTE: This information must be supported in your resume to be considered for the position. .
Additional qualification information can be found from the following Office of Personnel Management website:
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment.
- Address NAVFAC SOUTHWEST
750 Pacific Hwy
San Diego, CA 92132
- Name: Department of Navy EIC
- Email: [email protected]