Job opening: ENGINEERING TECHNICIAN
Salary: $69 961 - 90 946 per year
Published at: Aug 14 2023
Employment Type: Full-time
You will serve as a Engineering Technician in the in the Technical Support Branch, Code 135.1, of the Nondestructive Test
Division, Code 135, of the Quality Assurance Office of NORFOLK NAVAL SHIPYARD.
You will support with planning and procurement of all supplies and equipment, scheduling of major nonrecurring maintenance, facilities maintenance, manpower and financial projections and reporting and tracking of the budget and finances.
You will serve as a Senior NDT Engineering Technician responsible for one of the NOT methodologies (i.e. radiography, ultrasonics, eddy current, magnetic particle, liquid penetrant, or visual).
You will be responsible for ensuring that all personnel conducting non-destructive tests are thoroughly trained and cognizant of the required procedures and standards.
You will serve as a Shipyard expert responsible for the correct interpretation, procedure
development and approval of nuclear and non-nuclear non-destructive test procedures and
training required by NAVSEA directives,
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Must be determined suitable for federal employment.
- Must participate in the direct deposit pay program.
- New employees to the Department of the Navy will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit e-verify.gov
- Generally, current federal employees applying for GS jobs must serve at least one year at the next lower grade level. This requirement is called time-in-grade. Time-in-grade requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
- Within the Department of Defense (DoD), the appointment of retired military members within 180 days immediately following retirement date to a civilian position is subject to the provisions of 5 United States Code 3326.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service.
- You will be required to obtain and maintain an interim and/or final security clearance prior to entrance on duty. Failure to obtain and maintain the required level of clearance may result in the withdrawal of a job offer or removal.
Your resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-10 grade level or pay band in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private or public sector. Specialized experience must demonstrate the following:
Experience with all phases of inspection techniques used in non-destructive testing.
Experience with non?destructive testing and general knowledge of allied manufacturing processes, e.g., welding, forging, casting, etc.
Experience with ultrasonic and/or radiographic testing and/or eddy current inspection (tube technique) and in one or more of the following: magnetic particle, liquid penetrant, eddy current (welds, dealloy) or visual.
Experience with nuclear submarine design and with overhaul and maintenance procedures to ensure adequacy and efficiency of NDT processes.
Your resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-11 grade level or pay band in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private or public sector. Specialized experience must demonstrate the following: .
Experience ensuring standards compliance through inspection, oversight, calibration, laboratory and engineering services.
Experience conducting Radiographic Testing (RT), Ultrasonic Testing (UT), Eddy Current Testing (ET), Magnetic Particle Testing (MT), Penetrant Testing (PT) and Visual Testing (VT) inspections.
Experience planning and procurement of all supplies and equipment, scheduling of major non-recurring maintenance, facilities maintenance, manpower and financial projections and reporting and tracking of the budget and finances.
Experience interpreting NAVSEA technical specifications, qualifying/implementing and training of local procedures, providing technical direction, and assuring the Shipyard's Non-Destructive testing technology and capability remains current with the industry's state-of-the-art.
Additional qualification information can be found from the following Office of Personnel Management website:
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment.
- Address NORFOLK NAVAL SHIPYARD
Portsmouth, VA 23709
- Name: Department of Navy EIC
- Email: [email protected]