Job opening: ACCOUNTANT
Salary: $83 591 - 108 669 per year
Published at: Aug 13 2023
Employment Type: Full-time
Who may apply: Current Permanent DFAS employees, eligible PPP Military Spouses.
Provides professional accounting advice and assistance to supported organizations and lower graded accountants and/or accounting technicians in the resolution of diverse, complex, or controversial accounting problems.
Interprets, develops, adapts, modifies, or integrates accounting and financial policies and procedures.
Proposes new procedures and methods or modifies existing procedures and methods to resolve current problems and enhance the validity, accuracy, and integrity of accounting processes.
Identifies problem areas and determines actions required to improve operating program effectiveness, ensure the propriety of accounting transaction processing, and maintain the integrity of accounting records and financial information
Provides technical advice and training to technicians and program managers regarding the processing of accounting transactions or reconciliation of accounting/financial reports.
Examines internal controls systems and analyzes/evaluates effectiveness, adequacy, and interrelationships within/among segments of the system and other segments within the organization.
Reviews, analyzes, and evaluates the status of performance measurement and financial management information indicators for assessing the health and effectiveness of accounting operations.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National
- Registered for Selective Service (males born after 12-31-1959)
- Suitable for Federal employment
- Time after Competitive Appointment: Candidates must have served 3 months after latest competitive appointment in the Federal service.
- This national security position, which may require access to classified information, requires a favorable suitability review and security clearance as a condition of employment. Failure to maintain security eligibility may result in termination.
- Time in Grade Requirement - see the Qualifications field below for more details.
- Obtain/Maintain Financial Management Certification
This position has a positive education requirement. To qualify for this position you must meet one of the basic requirements described below:
(1) Completion of all requirements for a bachelor's degree in accounting from an accredited college or university; or a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law. OR
(2) Candidates may also qualify through a combination of education and experience: at least 4 years of accounting experience or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge AND 24 semester hours in accounting/auditing courses, which may include up to 6 hours of business law, OR a certificate as a Certified Public Accountant or Certified Internal Auditor.
You may need to send proof of education or of certification to be considered for this position. Click here for more information on who must submit documentation at the time of application and what documentation is acceptable: Transcripts and Certifications.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement, qualified applicants must possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade (GS-11) in the Federal service, which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position. Specialized experience is described as providing professional accounting services that ensure the overall effectiveness and efficiency of the accounting operations in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP); independently applying analytical and evaluative methods and techniques to evaluate and interpret accounting data, financial statements and reports, processes, accounting/ financial systems, or effectiveness of internal controls; AND providing technical accounting expertise to assist in the design, implementation and assessment of operating systems, procedures, or internal control processes.
Time-in-Grade: Current or former federal employees who have held a GS position in the preceding 52 weeks, must meet the time in grade requirement. Applicant must have served 52 weeks as a GS-11 or higher grade in Federal Service.
You may qualify for consideration if meeting time-in grade, specialized experience, education requirement, 90 days after competitive appointment requirement, and all other qualification requirements within 30 calendar days after the closing date of the announcement, unless otherwise indicated on the announcement.
Education is not substitutable for specialized experience at this grade level.
- Address DFAS - ACCTS MAINT AND CONTR DEFENSE AGENCIES
8899 E. 56th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46249
- Name: HR Customer Care Center
- Phone: (317) 212-0454
- Email: [email protected]