Job opening: Recreation Assistant (Community Rec)
Salary: $15 - 17 per hour
Published at: Feb 12 2024
Employment Type: Shift work
Performs a variety of duties in support of the Morale, Welfare, and Recreation (MWR) Community Recreation program that may include special events, recreation information/resources, command events, visiting ships or fleet support, community events, trips, tours, outings, party and picnic rental equipment, resale tickets, recreational green space management, bowling, Library, Liberty, grab-n-go, movies, and outdoor recreation.
- Provides customer service, information and support of Community Recreation programs and activities. Service to MWR customers includes, but is not limited to: checking patron eligibility to ensure authorized use of recreation facilities, resources and equipment, providing information about activities and program offerings, opening and closing facilities, ordering and restocking supplies, and preparing snack bar menu items or prepackaged retail items.
- Collects fees from customers associated with sales of tickets, retail and rental items, as well as from classes, trips, and various other Community Recreation programs using Point of Sales (POS) and computer programs.
- Is accountable for the accuracy of daily sales transactions and completes a Daily Activity Report (DAR) at the end of every shift.
- Assists in processing customer Internet registrations (i.e. Net Near You), initial log-ins and event registrations.
- Checks Community Recreation equipment and resources in and out, collects any applicable rental fees, inventories items and completes inspections upon return.
- Notifies supervisor or program lead if damage or loss has occurred.
- Ensures all rental or check-out forms are properly completed and reservation and checkout procedures are followed.
- Conducts inventory, maintains inventory controls and maintains equipment for proper accountability of program equipment and resources.
- Assists in administering traditional and non-traditional workshops, clinics and events in a variety of leisure and recreation skills subject areas, in tune with offerings popular in the local area, including but not limited to camping, cycling, sailing, backpacking, canoeing, snow skiing, hiking and water sports.
- Provides recreation experiences related to leisure skill sets in the form of day and weekend trips.
- Assists in day-to-day administration of multiple programs to which assigned. Tasks include submission of event after-action reports, patronage data collection and entering program data.
- Performs inventory of various types of equipment, retail goods, supplies and items deemed to have cash value.
- Performs administrative duties, all of which are accomplished through a variety of means, including computer software programs which track resource inventories, patron usage/comments, and program standards metrics.
- Assists with recruitment, training and scheduling of Community Recreation staff.
- Actively supports the command statement on adherence to EEO principles and policies.
- Assists in the planning, coordinating, publicizing, marketing and execution of MWR programs and special events.
- Performs entertainment and promotion scheduling.
- Assists in updating of electronic and multi-media support tools, as needed.
- Seeks ways to promote MWR facilities and events through outreach opportunities on base.
- Promotes use of recreational E-reading resources available through online MWR Library Program resources.
- Develops working partnerships with both on base and off base organizations (park districts, forest preserve, clubs, special interest groups, etc.) to support and benefit MWR programs.
- Performs community outreach to assist in the development of contacts.
- Assists in the creation of professional proposals, execution of agreements and follow-up.
- Researches and provides information and referral for a variety of recreational opportunities for individuals/families on and off the base.
- Adheres to NAVMED P-5010 sanitation requirements.
- Initiates and follows up on maintenance trouble calls to get equipment/facility issues resolved.
- Provides support for Community Recreation event set up and break down.
- Performs other duties as assigned as they pertains to the duties of this position.
- Must meet Federal Employment suitability requirements and successful completion of background investigation. Background investigations are conducted using fingerprint identification and completion of background inquiry forms.
- Must successfully pass the E-verify employment verification check. Any discrepancies must be resolved as a condition of employment.
- You must go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9.
- May be required to pass pre-employment examinations.
- A valid State driver's license is required to operate motor vehicles.
- Must have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
- Must reside in the local commuting area.
In order to qualify for this position, your resume must provide sufficient experience and/or education, knowledge, skills, and abilities, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are being considered. Your resume is the key means we have for evaluating your skills, knowledge, and abilities, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your experience. All non-government positions identified on your resume must include complete address and to and from dates. Government positions must include pay plan, series, grade, to and from dates and address of the agency/organization.
One year of specialized experience directly related to the duties described above. Qualifying experience must have been equivalent to the next lower level in the normal line of progression.
Specialized experience must demonstrate the following:
- Combination of experience related to customer service and or recreation activity based functions.
- Ability to organize, plan, administer special events and entertainment activities.
- Must be able to work independently, make sound decisions and have the ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of the goals, principles, techniques and procedures used in organizing, planning and conducting leisure time activities.
- Knowledge of the Navy MWR mission and the entire scope of Community Recreation activities and their suitability for individuals, groups, ages and interests.
- Knowledge of the functions, procedures, and operations of recreation activities.
- Must have strong customer service skills.
- Ability to maintain records, compile and organize data for reports, and perform research on recreation topics for dissemination to customers.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Knowledge of computers, office procedures and print production.
You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment.
As part of the application process, you must complete and submit an occupational questionnaire and your RESUME MUST SUPPORT AND VALIDATE YOUR ANSWERS or you may be removed from consideration.
ONLY THE MOST HIGHLY QUALIFIED CANDIDATES WILL BE REFERRED. IF MANAGEMENT DOES NOT WISH TO SELECT A HIGHLY QUALIFIED CANDIDATE, THEY MAY REQUEST A REFERRAL LIST INCLUDING WELL OR QUALIFIED APPLICANTS.
Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating and/or appointment eligibility.
PLEASE READ THIS VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT IN ITS ENTIRETY TO ENSURE ALL REQUIREMENTS ARE ADDRESSED IN YOUR APPLICATION PACKAGE.
NO Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) is authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government interest
KEY REQUIREMENTS/CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
You must be a US Citizen.
Males must be registered or exempt from Selective Service. https://www.sss.gov/register/
Selectee must be determined suitable for federal employment.
Selectee may be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
Selectee is required to participate in the direct deposit pay program.
Social Security Card is required.
Satisfactorily complete an employment verification (E-VERIFY) check.
A favorable background is a requirement of this position. Failure to obtain and maintain a favorable background may result in the withdrawal of the position offer or removal.
NOTE: Applicants have the ability to perform an E-Verify Self Check to confirm employment eligibility at http://www.uscis.gov/mye-verify/self-check. Although a Self-Check is not mandatory, it can be a useful tool for applicants to find out if there is a problem with their employment eligibility records and resolve any issues before taking a job.
This position does not have a positive education requirement.
- Address NAS Pensacola
450 Radford Blvd Bldg 4143
Pensacola, FL 32508
- Name: Kimberly Hicks
- Email: [email protected]