Job opening: Human Resources Specialist (Class/R&P) (Title 5) (Temporary Promotion Not to Exceed One Year)
Salary: $75 715 - 98 426 per year
Published at: Jan 23 2024
Employment Type: Full-time
THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 5 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION.
This National Guard position is for a Human Resources Specialist (Class/R&P) (Title 5) (Temporary Promotion Not to Exceed One Year), Position Description Number T5027000 and is part of the VA HR, National Guard.
As a Human Resources Specialist (Classifications/Recruitment & Placement) (Title 5), you will perform the following duties:
1. Incumbent performs a combination of functions and serves as an advisor to management and employees by providing comprehensive human resources (HR) services on classification, position management strategies, recruitment, internal placement, and pay flexibilities associated with the activities services by the HRO. Work involves duties such as position and organization structuring, establishing competitive levels for reduction and force purposes, merit placement, etc.
2. Classification: Designs and accomplishes organizational position management surveys. Advises on supervisory ratios, appropriate use of assistant and lead positions, position and manpower design concepts, fragmented organizational structures, grade controlling factors, etc. Conducts continuing review of position classification and workforce management programs. Develops local classification guidance to facilitate understanding of classification principles and processes. Incumbent is responsible for developing and maintaining a state Environmental Differential Pay (EDP)/Hazardous Duty Pay (HDP) plan, and providing assistance/guidance to managers and supervisors regarding EDP and HDP issues. Provides advice and assistance on classification appeal procedures; ensures that appeal packages comply with Department of Defense (DoD)/Office of Personnel Management (OPM) requirements. Reviews proposed organizational structures based on management needs, local realignments, force structure changes, appropriate position classifications and agreement with the basis for the manpower requirements of the organization. Monitors fill rates of manpower requirements for agreement with National Guard Bureau and State Adjutant General's guidance and makes recommendations for potential organizational fills based on force structure changes, funds availability, and mission requirements. Reviews requests for personnel and position actions to determine impact on position classification and workforce management matters. Develops Statements of Difference for purposes of restructuring grades for recruitment, upward mobility, etc. Prepares for or participates in the Federal Wage System (FWS) wage survey process. May participate as the classification functional specialist in the collective bargaining agreement process.
3. Recruitment and Placement: Explains merit principles and the various staffing methods, with emphasis on special interest programs such as Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act, employment of the physically handicapped, etc. Seeks candidates from a variety of sources, conducts interviews and evaluates qualifications and eligibility for positions being filled. Ensures selecting official has a reasonable number of well-qualified candidates from which to choose. Researches and prepares replies to Congressional inquires relating to employment. Researches and develops solutions and strategies to recruitment and retention problems that integrate a variety of flexibilities. Provides technical assistance to managers in developing justifications for requesting the use of special salary rates, recruitment bonuses, retention allowances or other authorities. Responsible for the development and implementation of plans to accomplish a statewide technician placement and recruitment program, ensuring merit principles, NGB, DoD, OPM guidelines, policies, regulations, labor agreements, and statutory requirements are complied with.
4. Counsels and registers employees in the DoD Priority Placement Program and/or OPM Interagency Placement Assistance Program and/or Displaced Employee Program as appropriate. Defends recruitment and placement actions taken in accordance with policies, regulations, and procedures in the event of recruitment or placement grievances. Manages technician permanent change of station moves by initiating transportation agreements, completing travel orders authorizing various entitlements, and obtaining necessary funds from NGB or state ARNG/ANG Comptroller as appropriate. 5. Compensation: Develops, recommends, maintains, and applies State's highest previous rate and other compensation programs such as use of recruitment and retention tools. Sets rates of pay for General Schedule (GS) and FWS for appointments, transfers, promotions, changes to lower grade, and changes between GS and FWS pay systems. Responds to inquiries on recruitment, placement and related matters from the serviced workforce and coordinates with NGB-HR as required. May provide assistance to the National Guard Bureau, Human Resources Office and other state HR specialists on staffing issues and classification issues by participating in or providing input into national classification studies, staffing studies, and/or assisting with other classification/workforce management issues.
6. Performs other duties as assigned.
- Federal employment suitability as determined by a background investigation.
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
- Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
- This position is not located at a bargaining unit.
NOTE:Qualifications are based on breadth/level of experience. In addition to describing duties performed, applicants must provide the exact dates of each period of employment (from MM/DD/YY to MM/DD/YY) and the number of hours worked per week if part time. As qualification determinations cannot be made when resumes do not include the required information, failure to provide this information may result in disqualification. Applicants are encouraged to use the USAJOBS Resume Builder to develop their federal resume.
TEMPORARY PROMOTION: Position opened to current employees in the Virginia Army National Guard Military Technician Program. Selected applicant will receive a temporary promotion Not to Exceed One Year. Should the need for temporary time limitations placed on this position no longer exist, the Temporary Promotion could be converted to a permanent action without further competition. Additionally, applicant selected can be returned to the position held prior to the Temporary Promotion when the temporary action is no longer needed.
WHO CAN APPLY:
GROUP A1 - All on Board Federal National Guard Employees within VANG employed with HRO.
GENERAL EXPERIENCE: Applicant must have experience serving as the state Human Resources Specialist for administering the recruitment, placement, compensation, and classification programs. Accomplishes work through the use of a variety of automated personnel systems and programs
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Applicant must have at least 12 months of specialized experience, education, or training equivalent to at least the GS-09 level, or equivalent pay band in other pay systems in the Federal government? This experience may also have been obtained in the private sector but must demonstrate that it is comparable to the GS grade indicated. This experience must include activities such as:
Experience performing a combination of functions and serves as an advisor to management and employees by providing comprehensive human resources (HR) services on classification, position management strategies, recruitment, internal placement, and pay flexibilities associated with the activities services by the HRO.
Experience monitoring fill rates of manpower requirements for agreement with National Guard Bureau and State Adjutant General's guidance and makes recommendations for potential organizational fills based on force structure changes, funds availability, and mission requirements. Reviews requests for personnel and position actions to determine impact on position classification and workforce management matters.
Experience researching and developing solutions and strategies to recruitment and retention problems that integrate a variety of flexibilities.
Experience defending recruitment and placement actions taken in accordance with policies, regulations, and procedures in the event of recruitment or placement grievances.
- Address VA HR
8000 JEFFERSON DAVIS HWY
Richmond, VA 23297
- Name: VaARNG Tech Jobs HRO
- Phone: 000000000
- Email: [email protected]