Job opening: SHEET METAL MECHANIC LEADER
Salary: $33 - 38 per hour
Published at: Sep 01 2023
Employment Type: Full-time
You will serve as a SHEET METAL MECHANIC LEADER in the Structural Shop (Code 920), Production Resources Department Manager (Code 901), Production Resources Department (Code 900) of NORFOLK NAVAL SHIPYARD.
You will utilize information from blueprints, sketches and work documents, to plan and execute the sequence of work tasks.
You will maintain close observation of all work operations.
You will discuss with other trade leaders and attempt to resolve work problems at the lowest level possible.
You will operate power shears, rollers, saws, brakes, bending machines, and other metal working machines.
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Must be determined suitable for federal employment.
- Must participate in the direct deposit pay program.
- New employees to the Department of the Navy will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit e-verify.gov
- Within the Department of Defense (DoD), the appointment of retired military members within 180 days immediately following retirement date to a civilian position is subject to the provisions of 5 United States Code 3326.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service.
- This is a bargaining unit position.
- You will be required to obtain and maintain an interim and/or final security clearance prior to entrance on duty. Failure to obtain and maintain the required level of clearance may result in the withdrawal of a job offer or removal.
- You will be required to wear personal protective equipment such as helmets, gloves, coveralls, glasses, goggles, respirators and safety shoes continuously for the duration of the work shift.
- Work is performed in areas where potentially harmful physical and chemical agents are present (e.g. fumes, dust, heat, ionizing and non-ionizing radiation and chemicals). You will be required to participate in medical surveillance programs
Although a specific length of time and experience is not required for most trade and labor occupations, you must show through experience and training that you possess the quality level of knowledge and skill necessary to perform the duties of the position at the level for which you are applying. Qualification requirements emphasis is on quality of experience, not necessarily the length of time.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the job elements and screen out listed below.
This job has a screen-out element which will be used to determine minimum eligibility for this job. Applicants who do not receive a minimum of two points on the screen-out element(s) will be found ineligible. The Screen-out Element for this position is: ABILITY TO LEAD OR SUPERVISE
A. Facilitating production by determining work time, preparing and implementing procedures, detecting bottlenecks, making and interpreting reports, keeping records, interpreting technical data, and making computations. Developing and transferring sheet-metal shapes, outlines, and forms from drawings, sketches, blueprints, and work orders to metal or nonmetallic surfaces, showing work to be done. Demonstrating precision and coordination in metalwork requiring unusual precision such as where exacting tolerances are involved.
B. Operating power shears, rollers, saws, brakes, bending machines and other metal working machines.
C. Ensuring safe working practices and good housekeeping.
Applicants must meet the requirements of the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Job Qualification Handbook for Trades and Labor Occupations. Additional qualification information can be found at: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/federal-wage-system-qualifications/#url=List-of-Approved-Job-Elements
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
- Address NORFOLK NAVAL SHIPYARD
Portsmouth, VA 23709
- Name: Department of Navy EIC
- Email: [email protected]