Job opening: Student Trainee (IT Cybersecurity Specialist INFOSEC) ICD Fellowship GS-2210-03/04
Salary: $34 135 - 49 812 per year
Published at: Sep 01 2023
Employment Type: Full-time
This position is located in the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Coast Guard (USCG), Deputy Commandant for Mission Support (DCMS), CG-6, C5I Service Center (C5ISC), Information Assurance Branch in Kearneysville, West Virginia.
Start your Information Technology career here with us at the C5I Service Center (C5ISC), Information Assurance Branch. We are among the best places to work in the Coast Guard and U.S. Government.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
- Unofficial transcripts are required at the time of application.
The Intelligence and Cybersecurity Diversity Fellowship (ICDF) Program is a Congressionally-mandated program designed to help DHS recruit, retain, and reward the best and brightest. The program provides qualified students opportunities to work alongside highly skilled intelligence and cybersecurity professionals at DHS, gain hands-on technical experience, interact with experts and peers at professional development events, and expand their professional network. This program is funded by the DHS Office of the Chief Human Capital Officer.
In order to be eligible as an intern under the Intelligence and Cybersecurity Diversity Fellowship Program (ICDF), you must be considered a socially disadvantaged student, currently enrolled as a sophomore, junior, or senior at a Historically Black College or University (HBCU) or Minority Serving Institution (MSI). A qualifying educational institution is defined as a college and/or university and educational institutions or curricula accredited by the U.S. Department of Education. Candidates also:
• Must remain in good academic standing as defined by the school, with a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.2 on a 4.0 scale;• Must have declared a major in a Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM), Information Technology (IT), cybersecurity, or intelligence-related field;• Must maintain enrollment on a full-time basis and remain in good academic standing throughout the duration of the fellowship program, if selected;• Meet the DHS developed qualifications standards prior to appointment and any physical, suitability, security requirements and if applicable medical clearance; and• If selected, must commit to twelve (12) consecutive weeks of full-time summer employment from the date of onboarding.
To qualify for the GS-3 level:
Applicants must possess 6 months of general experience OR 1 year of successfully completed education above high school.
To qualify for the GS-4 level:
Applicants must possess 1 year of general experience OR 2 full years of successfully completed education above the high school level in any field for which high school graduation or the equivalent is the normal prerequisite.
National Service Experience (i.e., volunteer experience): Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
The Office of Personnel management (OPM) must authorize employment offers made to current or former political appointees. If you are currently, or have been within the last 5 years, a political Schedule A, Schedule, C, Non-career SES or Presidential Appointee employee in the Executive Branch, you must disclose this information to the Human Resources Office.
Program Completion and Placement Process:
Those who successfully complete the program, and who are eligible, may enter the placement process for employment within DHS in an excepted service or competitive service position. Permanent placement is not guaranteed, but the expectation is that projected growth within DHS in intelligence and cybersecurity will provide a variety of employment opportunities.
To be eligible for the placement process, participants must have completed the following:• Obtained a bachelor’s degree in a STEM, IT, cybersecurity, or intelligence field;• GPA of at least a 3.2 on a 4.0 scale;• Completed 480 hours of work at the Department;• Participated in designated technical and core training;• Collaborated with subject matter expert mentors in intelligence and cybersecurity; and• Completed a challenge project (as designated by the agency).
Veterans' preference does not apply to selection for positions in the ICDF Program per Pub. Law No. 116-260.
• First-hand, practical experience in intelligence or cybersecurity disciplines;• Individual Development Plans (IDP) providing a roadmap for professional development;• Participation in high priority challenging projects;• Formal and informal training in core and technical competencies;• Access to mentors who will provide advice and support; and• May be eligible for tuition assistance.
This position does have a positive education requirement. If you are including education on your resume, report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. See Required Documents section for detail.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet Federal qualification requirements if you can show that your foreign education is comparable to education received in accredited educational institutions in the United States. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence with your application. See Recognition of Foreign Qualifications click here
- Address United States Coast Guard
USCG Applicant Support
2703 Martin Luther King Jr. Ave SE
Washington, District of Columbia 20593
- Name: USCG Applicant Support
- Phone: 866-656-6830
- Email: [email protected]