Job opening: Information Technology Specialist (Operating Systems/System Administration)
Salary: $84 686 - 110 092 per year
Published at: Aug 12 2023
Employment Type: Full-time
About the Position: This position is a DOD Cyber Excepted Service (CES) personnel system position in the Excepted Service under 10 USC 1599f. Employees occupying CES positions are in the Excepted Service and must adhere to U.S. Code, Title 10, as well as Department of Defense Instruction 1400.25. This position is located at Fort Carson, Colorado.
Perform services as a senior systems administrator responsible for planning, coordinating, and installing applications software and hardware and installing, operating, maintaining and updating operating assigned systems on NIPRNet and/or SIPRNet.
Develop, review, and modify changes to schedule of operations for successful day-to-day operations.
Oversee the installation and configuration of applications software and the establishment of user environments.
Provide technical guidance and instruction to users and other IT specialists.
Serve as a senior technical advisor to management.
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- Three year trial/probationary period may be required.
- This position requires the incumbent be able to obtain and maintain a determination of eligibility for a Top Secret security clearance or access for the duration of employment.
- Drug test required
- This position requires the employee to travel (TDY) approximately 10% of the time from normal duty station.
- The incumbent may be required to work overtime.
- The incumbent may be required to work other than normal duty hours, which may include evenings, weekends, holidays and or shiftwork.
- This position requires the incumbent to obtain and maintain the appropriate Information Assurance certification in accordance with DoD 8570.01-M, Information Assurance Workforce Improvement Program, within 6 months of entry onto duty.
Who May Apply:
Only applicants who meet one of the employment authority categories below are eligible to apply for this job. You will be asked to identify which category or categories you meet, and to provide documents which prove you meet the category or categories you selected. See Proof of Eligibility for an extensive list of document requirements for all employment authorities.
Current Army Cyber Excepted Service (CES) EmployeeCurrent Army Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS) EmployeeCurrent Department of Army Civilian EmployeesCurrent DoD Cyber Excepted Service (CES) Employee (non-Army)Current Permanent DoD Civilian Employee (non-Army) Applying to Cyber Excepted Service PositionsNon-Department of Defense (DoD) Transfer Applying to Cyber Excepted Service Positions
Army CES positions apply Veteran's Preference to preference eligible candidates, as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 U.S.C., in accordance with the procedures provided in DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 3005, "CES Employment and Placement". If you are a veteran claiming veterans' preference, as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 U.S.C., you must submit documents verifying your eligibility with your application package.
This position is in the Professional Work Category at the Full Performance Work Level within the CES Occupational Structure.
In order to qualify, you must meet the experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
To qualify based on your experience, your resume must describe one year of specialized experience that demonstrates the possession of knowledge, skills, abilities, and competencies necessary for immediate success in the position. Such experience is typically in or directly related to the work of the position to be filled. Specialized experience would be demonstrated by performing System Administrator functions across server operating systems; managing multiple servers or computers using centrally managed tools; install, configure, and maintain operating systems components. Knowledge of risk management processes (e.g., methods for assessing and mitigating risk), national and international laws, regulations, policies, and ethics as they relate to cybersecurity. Knowledge of database access application programming interfaces (APIs) (e.g., Java Database Connectivity [JDBC]). Performs configuration management, problem management, capacity management, and financial management for databases and data management systems.
The specialized experience must include, or be supplemented by, information technology related experience (paid or unpaid experience and/or completion of specific, intensive training, as appropriate) which demonstrates each of the four competencies, as defined:
(1) Attention to Detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail. Examples of IT-related experience demonstrating this competency include: completing thorough and accurate work independently, even in the most difficult or stressful situations; occasionally reviewing work completed by others.
(2) Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services. Examples of IT-related experience demonstrating this competency include: resolving routine and non-routine problems, questions, or complaints; developing and maintaining strong, mutually supportive working relationships with customers; conducting evaluation of support to determine quality of services and customer satisfaction, and recommending procedural changes based on customer need or changes in policy and/or regulation.
(3) Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately. Examples of IT-related experience demonstrating this competency include: convincingly conveying complex information to customers; presenting thoughts that are well-organized and demonstrating confidence in the facts and ideas; adjusting style when working with individuals with different levels of understanding; using various methods to explain and convey information.
(4) Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations. Examples of IT-related experience demonstrating this competency include: solving complex or sensitive problems by developing and proposing strategic alternatives; identifying possible conflicts and shared benefits; helping team anticipate problems and identifying and evaluating potential sources of information; providing feedback and coaching to others to help solve problems; engaging appropriate stakeholders when developing solutions in order to understand and incorporate multiple perspectives and needs; evaluating the effectiveness of decisions and adjusting future decisions as appropriate.
- Address KB-W6S2AA USA SIG NTWK ENT CTR FT CARSON
DO NOT MAIL
Fort Carson, CO 80913
- Name: Army Applicant Help Desk