Job opening: Store Associate
Salary: $34 584 - 43 801 per year
Published at: Aug 09 2023
Employment Type: Full-time
Store Associates work either independently or as part of a team in any assigned retail area of a commissary store within the Defense Commissary Agency (DeCA) system, performing a variety of duties including handling, preparing, and stocking grocery and produce items, and checking-out customer purchases. Specific assignments vary by individual store and store management requirements.
Assisting customers by answering questions such as item price or location, and handling bulky/heavy items.
Operating an electronic checkout system to record unit price, total customer purchase, and make change.
Performing a variety of duties in handling, preparing and maintaining stock levels of grocery and produce items.
Reviewing stock levels and gathering inventory data in order to maintain the Computer Assisted Ordering (CAO) system.
Preparing and maintaining a variety of documents to order commissary items, reconcile invoices and submit requisitions.
Maintaining security, safety, and sanitation practices and procedures.
Read the entire announcement before starting the application process.
- Be a U.S. citizen or national. Applicants with a Permanent Resident Card are authorized to live and work in the U.S. but are not eligible for employment in positions requiring U.S. citizenship. If selected, proof of citizenship is required.
- Meet the minimum age requirement. See the Additional Information section.
- Males born after 12-31-1959 must be registered with or exempt from Selective Service.
- Appointment is subject to successful verification of identity and employment eligibility through E-Verify. Learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, at https://www.e-verify.gov/.
- Appointment is subject to a favorable suitability or fitness outcome, as determined by a completed background investigation. New federal employees will be fingerprinted.
- Be able to obtain and maintain clearance eligibility based on the appropriate background investigation.
- May be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- Have salary paid through direct deposit.
- Meet the physical requirements identified in the Qualifications section.
You must meet the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) qualifications for series 1101 and additional requirements by the announcement closing date. Your resume (and/or transcript if necessary) must clearly show that you have the qualifications described below. You can use experience, education, or a combination of the two to qualify.
Experience: One (1) year of progressively responsible clerical, office, or other work that indicates the ability to acquire the knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties of this position (general experience).
Education: Two (2) full years of successfully completed education above high school at an accredited business, secretarial, technical school, junior college, college, or university. Transcripts are required if relying on education, in whole or in part, to qualify. See Required Documents for more information.
Combination of experience and education: To calculate the combination, divide your total months of experience by 12, then divide your semester hours by 60 and add the two percentages. If the total is 100%, you meet the minimum qualifications through a combination of experience and education.
You will receive credit for all relevant qualifying experience (paid and unpaid), including volunteer work done through National Service program (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social).
(1) Stand, stoop, kneel, bend and climb for prolonged periods. (2) Lift, push, pull, carry, and handle items weighing up to 40 pounds independently and occasionally over 40 pounds with assistance. You will attest to your ability to perform these physical requirements in the Questionnaire.
As part of the online application process, you will respond to a series of questions designed to evaluate your level of experience in the position's competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities, and other characteristics).
Minimum Qualifications GS-04
Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA): Nonexempt
Bargaining Unit Status: Covered
Obligated Position: No
Those retired under CSRS or FERS considered: No. DoD criteria not met.
Work environment: May work in hot or cold weather and/or in damp or drafty conditions, be exposed to differences in temperature in storing or obtaining items from refrigerated rooms or in the warehouse, and while working you may receive minor injuries such as cuts, scrapes, bruises, heat sealer burns, and may slip on wet floors.
Recruitment/Relocation Incentives Offered: Yes. 10% Recruitment Incentive with a signed 12-month service agreement authorized for qualified individuals.
Telework eligible: No
Remote work eligible: No
Required education or education that can be used to meet qualifications is identified in the Qualifications section. Refer to Required Documents for more information.
- Address Defense Commissary Agency West
1300 E Avenue
Fort Gregg-Adams, VA 23801-1800
- Name: DeCA DE West Servicing Team
- Phone: 614-692-3917
- Email: [email protected]