Job opening: WASTEWATER TREATMENT PLANT OPERATOR
Salary: $28 - 33 per hour
Published at: Jul 11 2023
Employment Type: Full-time
You will serve as a WASTEWATER TREATMENT PLANT OPERATOR in the Facilities Maintenance Department of MCAS Cherry Point, NC.
You will perform regular scheduled equipment checks and operate the industrial wastewater collection pumping stations.
You will routinely remove settable solids, floating debris, and oil.
You will receive, handle, and store chemicals utilized in the various treatment processes.
You will perform preventative maintenance on the industrial drives, pumps, motors, control, and instrumentation that is associated with the individual treatment process.
You will perform batch treatments on various industrial waste solutions, such as acids, bases, solutions with high concentrations of cyanide, chromium, and phenols.
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Must be determined suitable for federal employment.
- Must participate in the direct deposit pay program.
- New employees to the Department of the Navy will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit e-verify.gov
- Within the Department of Defense (DoD), the appointment of retired military members within 180 days immediately following retirement date to a civilian position is subject to the provisions of 5 United States Code 3326.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service.
- This is a Mission Essential position. You will be required to ensure organization or facility continuity of operations and/or completion of tasks that are considered essential to the mission designated by a local or command decision.
- This position may require travel from normal duty station to CONUS and OCONUS and may include remote or isolated sites. You must be able to travel on military and commercial aircraft for extended periods of time.
- You will be required to complete training, obtain, and maintain a government credit card for travel and travel-related purchases.
- You will be required to wear personal protective equipment such as helmets, gloves, coveralls, glasses, goggles, respirators and safety shoes continuously for the duration of the work shift.
- Work is performed in areas where potentially harmful physical and chemical agents are present (e.g. fumes, dust, heat, ionizing and non-ionizing radiation and chemicals). You will be required to participate in medical surveillance programs.
- You will be required to successfully complete a pre-appointment physical examination.
- You will be required to obtain and maintain a current valid United States drivers license.
- You will be required to hold and maintain a current North Carolina Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator Grade 2 certification.
Although a specific length of time and experience is not required for most trade and labor occupations, you must show through experience and training that you possess the quality level of knowledge and skill necessary to perform the duties of the position at the level for which you are applying. Qualification requirements emphasis is on quality of experience, not necessarily the length of time.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the job elements and screen out listed below.This job has a screen-out element which will be used to determine minimum eligibility for this job. Applicants who do not receive a minimum of two points on the screen-out element(s) will be found ineligible.
The Screen-out Element for this position is: Ability to perform common tasks including collecting samples and adjusting chemical additions according to specified requirements. Work under close supervision of a work leader or journey-level employee who observes tasks in progress and upon completion to make sure they are properly performed.
Applicants must meet the requirements of the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Job Qualification Handbook for Trades and Labor Occupations. Additional qualification information can be found at: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/federal-wage-system-qualifications/#url=List-of-Approved-Job-Elements
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
- Address MCAS CHERRY POINT
PSC Box 8009
Cherry Point, NC 28533
- Name: Alvin Fonville
- Phone: (252)466-5334
- Email: [email protected]