Job opening: FIRE PROTECTION INSPECTOR
Salary: $60 794 - 79 030 per year
Published at: Feb 12 2024
Employment Type: Full-time
Please limit your resume to 5 pages. If more than 5 pages are submitted, only the first 5 pages will be reviewed to determine your eligibility/qualifications.
About the Position: This position is located in the Directorate of Emergency Services, Fire Protection and Prevention Division, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Washington.
This Position is included under the provisions of Special Retirement Coverage (SRC) and may have both a maximum entry age and mandatory retirement date.
Review monthly fire inspection reports submitted by firefighters and fire marshals.
Conduct periodic and special inspections of principal high to low hazard buildings on post; such as airfield facilities, treatment plants, shop facilities, computer facilities, schools.
Make visual inspections and correct deficiencies in a variety of installed systems many of which are complex.
Develop material and provide situational and classroom training in installation fire prevention activities.
Conduct training of firefighters in basic fire inspection methods and fire regulations.
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- This is a drug testing designated position (TDP) under the Department of the Army Drug-Free Federal Workplace Program. Must sign DA Form 5019 acknowledging both pre-appointment and periodic random drug testing requirements.
- Position requires successful completion of an annual Job Performance test and participation in a Cardiovascular Physical Fitness Program.
- All applicants must be able to pass pre-appointment and subsequent periodic medical examinations IAW DoD 6055.05M to determine fitness for continued performance of the duties of the position.
- This position requires the incumbent to wear a uniform and appropriate safety apparel in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Must obtain and maintain a valid state and government driver's license.
- Position requires you to work 60 hours per week (120 hours per pay period) including 24-hour rotation shifts and working nights, weekends, and holidays.
- I accordance with AR 690-11, this position has been designated as "Emergency-Essential". In the event of a crisis situation or wartime, incumbent must continue to perform the duties of the position.
- This position has a requirement to lift up to 50 lbs. in the regular performance of duties.
- This position has a Temporary Duty (TDY) or business travel requirement of 5% of the time.
- Appointment to this position is subject to a background investigation to determine your suitability for Federal employment.
Who May Apply: Only applicants who meet one of the employment authority categories below are eligible to apply for this job. You will be asked to identify which category or categories you meet, and to provide documents which prove you meet the category or categories you selected. See Proof of Eligibility for an extensive list of document requirements for all employment authorities.
30 Percent or More Disabled VeteransCurrent Department of Army Civilian EmployeesCurrent Department of Defense (DOD) Civilian Employee (non-Army)Domestic Defense Industrial Base/Major Range and Test Facilities Base Civilian Personnel WorkforceInteragency Career Transition Assistance PlanLand Management Workforce Flexibility ActMilitary Spouses, under Executive Order (E.O.) 13473Non-Department of Defense (DoD) TransferPriority Placement Program, DoD Military Reserve (MR) and National Guard (NG) Technician EligiblePriority Placement Program, DoD Military Spouse Preference (MSP) EligiblePriority Placement Program, DoD MR and NG Preference Eligible Tech Receiving Disability RetirementPriority Placement Program, DoD Retained Grade Preference EligibleReinstatementVeterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA) of 1998
In order to qualify, you must meet the experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Specialized Experience: One year of specialized experience which includes Inspecting, implementing, and providing training in fire protection and prevention on day to day operations; Controlling hazardous materials incidents; Controlling and extinguishing fires; performing rescue operations and inspections to detect, reduce, and eliminate the potential of fire hazards; and operation of fire communications equipment. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-07).
DOD FIRE AND EMERGENCY SERVICES MINIMUM QUALIFICATION AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
- To occupy this position, the incumbent must possess and maintain the following DoD Firefighter certification levels:
Fire Inspector I and II
Fire Instructor I
Hazardous Materials Awareness
Public Fire and Life Safety Educator
- As a 60-hour position, the successful candidate will require the additional DoD certifications:
Firefighter I & II
Airport Firefighter (if assigned at an airfield).
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:
Fire SuppressionHazardous Materials ResponseOral CommunicationWritten Communication
Time in Grade Requirement: Applicants who have held a General Schedule (GS) position within the last 52 weeks must have 52 weeks of Federal service at the next lower grade or equivalent (GS-07).
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this grade, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone -- no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
- Address EU-APF-W12KAA JOINT BASE LEWIS-MCCHORD
DO NOT MAIL
Tacoma, WA 98433
- Name: Army Applicant Help Desk