Over 1 Million Paying Vacancies Available. Discover Your Dream Vacancy with Us!

Are you looking for a ECOLOGIST? We suggest you consider a direct vacancy at U.S. Marine Corps in Camp Pendleton. The page displays the terms, salary level, and employer contacts U.S. Marine Corps person

Job opening: ECOLOGIST

Salary: $82 633 - 107 421 per year
Published at: Feb 12 2024
Employment Type: Full-time
This is a public notice flyer to notify interested applicants of anticipated vacancies. Applications will not be accepted through this flyer. Interested applicants must follow the directions in the "How to Apply" section of this flyer to be considered. There may or may not be actual vacancies filled from this flyer. Notice of Result letters will not be sent to applicants who respond to this flyer.


Conduct biological research and interpret and analyze scientific data. Maintain hardcopy and electronic files for ecological projects and contracts in accordance with applicable rules and regulations. Manage contracts and oversee projects related to habitat sustainability, habitat restoration, fire prevention and rare and/or endangered species monitoring and management to ensure proper implementation. Establish scope, budget, and execution schedule for ecological contracts to ensure work is completed within established cost and timeframe. Prepare and deliver program-level briefings for review by upper management. Participates in the development of Fire Management Plans and Fire Prevention Plans. Develops, reviews, and monitors plans for fuels and vegetation management. Act as Resource Advisor for prescription burns and wildfire suppression, as directed with training.


  • Must be a US Citizen.
  • Must be determined suitable for federal employment.
  • Must participate in the direct deposit pay program.
  • New employees to the Department of the Navy will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit e-verify.gov
  • Within the Department of Defense (DoD), the appointment of retired military members within 180 days immediately following retirement date to a civilian position is subject to the provisions of 5 United States Code 3326.
  • Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service.
  • This is a barging unit position.
  • Must possess and maintain a current valid United States drivers license.
  • Must obtain and maintain Resource Advisor National Wildfire Coordinating Group (NWCG) certification within 1 year of employment.
  • Must obtain and maintain NWCG Red Card certification within 1 year of employment.
  • Must obtain and maintain an annual medical clearance required for Resource Advisor National Wildfire Coordinating Group (NWCG) certification including basic physical fitness test from the Base Occupational Health.
  • Must obtain and maintain an Association for Fire Ecology Wildland Fire Professional Certification.
  • Selectee is required to pass and maintain physical fitness in order to perform the essential functions. Must have full use of eyes, arms, hands, legs, and feet.


Your resume must also demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-09 grade level or pay band in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private or public sector. Specialized experience must demonstrate the following: implementing and monitoring contracts for ecological projects, interpreting ecologically based conditions, and tracking and implementing project and programmatic regulatory requirements. Additional qualification information can be found from the following Office of Personnel Management website:https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/#url=GS-PROF. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment.


Applicants must meet the following positive education qualifications requirements of the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualifications Standards Manual:

0408 Series: Successfully completed a bachelor's degree or higher in biology, or a related field of science underlying ecological research that included at least 30 semester hours in basic and applied biological sciences. These hours must have included at least 9 semester hours in ecology, and 12 semester hours in physical and mathematical sciences.


A combination of education and experience equivalent to a major in biological science (i.e., at least 30 semester hours), with at least 9 semester hours in wildlife subjects, 12 semester hours in zoology, and 9 semester hours in botany or related plant science, as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.

In lieu of specialized experience listed in the Qualifications section, applicants may qualify based on education OR equivalent combination of experience and education as follows:

Successfully completed a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree.
Successfully completed three full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. or equivalent degree.
A combination of experience and education as described above that equates to one year of experience. My percentage of the required education plus my percentage of the required experience equal one hundred percent.

Are you using your education to qualify? For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you must submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned). See OPM's General Policies for information on crediting education.

Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the qualification requirements if the applicant can provide documentation indicating that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. It is the responsibility of the applicant to provide such evidence when applying for further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html


  • Name: Alisa Zych
  • Phone: (760) 725-9759
  • Email: [email protected]


Similar vacancies

$78 307 - 101 796

You will prepare and review technical sufficiency and completeness of natural resources. You will perform field work as necessary to gather or validate res...