Job opening: Supervisory Physician (Public Health)-DHA
Salary: $145 000 - 320 000 per year
Published at: Feb 12 2024
Employment Type: Full-time
The position is located in the Chinle Service Unit, Division of Public Health. The incumbent serves as the Director, Division of Public Health with full responsibility for supervision, planning, development, organization, integration, and evaluation of public health services for the service unit. The Director is a member of the medical staff and may provide diagnostic and therapeutic services in a primary care specialty.
This position is being re-announced to solicit additional applicants.
Management Support: Incumbent works with Chief Executive Officer, members of the executive committee and other key members of administration.
Supervisory Responsibility: Exercises overall supervisory responsibility for the management and direction of all public health services provided by Chinle Comprehensive Health Care Facility (CCHCF).
Public Health Duties: Incumbent is responsible for maintaining a high quality public health practice through the planning, development, implementation, and evaluation of the public health services provided in the service unit.
Clinical Duties: Responsible for the diagnosis, care and treatment of inpatients, ambulatory care patients, and emergency cases in the capacity of a staff physician.
This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service/Merit Promotion Examining procedures.
Please review vacancy announcement number IHS-24-CH-12311200-ESEP/MP for eligibility requirements.
NOTE: Applicants must apply separately to each announcement in order to be considered.
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
In addition, to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Your resume must demonstrate at least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following type of work and/or tasks:
1) Degree: Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy from a school in the United States or Canada approved by a recognized accredit body in the year of the applicant's graduation. A Doctor of Medicine or equivalent degree from a foreign medical school that provided education and medical knowledge substantially equivalent to accredited schools in the United States may be demonstrated by permanent certification by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) or a fifth pathway certificate for Americans who completed pre medical education in the United States and graduate education in a foreign country.
2) Graduate Training: Subsequent to obtaining a Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy degree, a candidate must have had at least 1 year of supervised experience providing direct service in a clinical setting, i.e., a 1-year internship or the first year of a residency program in an institution accredited for such training. (This 1 year of supervised experience may be waived for research or administrative positions not requiring direct patient care.) For purposes of this standard, graduate training programs include only those internship, residency, and fellowship programs that are approved by accrediting bodies recognized within the United States or Canada. Listings of accredited programs are published yearly in the Directory of Residency Training Programs and the Yearbook and Directory of Osteopathic Physicians.
An internship program involves broadly based clinical practice in which physicians acquire experience in treating a variety of medical problems under supervision (e.g., internal medicine, surgery, general practice, obstetrics-gynecology, and pediatrics). Such programs are in hospitals or other institutions accredited for internship training by a recognized body of the American Osteopathic Association (AOA).
A residency program involves training in a specialized field of medicine in an institution accredited for training in the specialty by a recognized body of the American Medical Association (AMA) or AOA.
A fellowship program involves advanced training (beyond residency training) in a given medical specialty in either a clinical or research setting in a hospital or other institution accredited in the United States for such training.
3) Licensure: For positions involved with direct patient care, candidates must have a permanent, full, and unrestricted license to practice medicine in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States. Applications will be accepted from physicians who are not currently licensed; however, if selected for a Federal appointment, they must (a) obtain a license before entering on duty, or (b) meet the following provisions: Appointments Pending Meeting Licensure Requirement: Individual circumstances may warrant appointments pending meeting the licensure requirement (e.g., when a candidate has a temporary license to practice until the next regular session of the licensing board). Persons appointed pending licensure may not be retained beyond 1 year of appointment if they do not obtain the license.
4) Selective Placement Factor: In addition to the basic and minimum requirements, applicants must be board certified in the specialty of Primary Care or an active registrant of the Board in Primary Care. A copy of certification/active registrant document must be attached.
In addition to the BASIC REQUIREMENTS listed above, you must also meet the ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS for positions at the GS-15:
For GS-15 -- 5 years of graduate training in the specialty of the position to be filled or equivalent experience and training.
Substitution of Experience for Residency Training: Experience MAY NOT BE SUBSTITUTED: for residency training that is essential for the performance of specialized duties. For example, specialists such as psychiatrists and surgeons must complete the number of years of accredited residency training required in their respective specialties. An exception may be made when a peer panel of physicians (subject-matter experts) determines and documents that the knowledge, skills, and abilities acquired in professional medical practice are equivalent to those acquired during the same period of time in a graduate training program.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGERIAL ABILITIES: Candidates must have demonstrated in their work experience or training that they possess, or have the potential to develop, the qualities of successful supervision, as listed under the appropriate categories below
Accountability - Holds self and others accountable for measurable high-quality, timely, and cost-effective results. Determines objectives, sets priorities, and delegates work. Accepts responsibility for mistakes. Complies with established control systems and rules.
Customer Service - Anticipates and meets the needs of both internal and external customers. Delivers high-quality products and services; is committed to continuous improvement.
Decisiveness - Makes well-informed, effective, and timely decisions, even when data are limited or solutions produce unpleasant consequences; perceives the impact and implications of decisions.
Flexibility - Is open to change and new information; rapidly adapts to new information, changing conditions, or unexpected obstacles.
Integrity/Honesty - Behaves in an honest, fair, and ethical manner. Shows consistency in words and actions. Models high standards of ethics.
Interpersonal Skills - Treats others with courtesy, sensitivity, and respect. Considers and responds appropriately to the needs and feelings of different people in different situations.
Oral Communication - Makes clear and convincing oral presentations. Listens effectively; clarifies information as needed.
Problem Solving - Identifies and analyzes problems; weighs relevance and accuracy of information; generates and evaluates alternative solutions; makes recommendations.
Resilience - Deals effectively with pressure; remains optimistic and persistent, even under adversity. Recovers quickly from setbacks.
Written Communication - Writes in a clear, concise, organized, and convincing manner for the intended audience.
Time In Grade Federal employees in the competitive service are also subject to the Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
You must meet all qualification requirements within 30 days of the closing date of the announcement.
This position has an education requirement. You are strongly encouraged to submit a copy of your transcripts or a list of your courses including titles, credit hours completed, and grades. Unofficial transcripts will be accepted in the application package. Official transcripts will be required from all selectees prior to receiving an official offer.
Only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education may be credited. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: https://www.ed.gov/accreditation
If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit https://sites.ed.gov/international/recognition-of-foreign-qualifications/
- Address Chinle Service Unit
PO Drawer PH
Chinle, AZ 86503
- Name: Navajo Area IHS Human Resources
- Email: [email protected]