Job opening: MWR Supervisory Recreation Specialist - Fitness Coordinator
Salary: $50 088 - 58 436 per year
Published at: Jan 23 2024
Employment Type: Full-time
This position is located in Quality of Life Department, Fitness and Recreation Program at Naval Support Activity Monterey (NSAM). The purpose of this position is to plan and carry out a comprehensive fitness and sports program to include all fitness, sports, and wellness activities to meet the needs of the eligible patrons and s primarily responsible for providing administrative, technical, operational support and expertise on all matters pertaining to the Fitness and Sports programs at NSAM.
- Must meet Federal Employment suitability requirements and successful completion of background investigation. Background Investigations are conducted using fingerprint identification and completion of background inquiry forms.
- Must successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. Any discrepancies must be resolved as a condition of employment.
- The work requires standing, sitting, walking and lifting 50 pounds or more while performing duties.
- Irregular working hours may be required to include early shift, late shift, evenings, weekends and holidays when the need arises.
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and First Aid certification is required.
- Certification from a nationally recognized agency in the area of exercise science or be able to obtain certification within 90 days of employment.
Must have a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college/university in Exercise Physiology or Fitness and Nutritional Sciences. Coursework must include exercise physiology, exercise prescription for apparently healthy populations and for individuals with physical problems/conditions (hypertension, diabetes, obesity, heart disease, pulmonary restrictions, musculoskeletal problems, chronic back pain and pregnancy), exercise and medication interactions, electrocardiography, kinesiology, anatomy and nutrition. Must be able to identify disease-related risk factors and be capable of assisting individuals with risk factor modification through exercise, diet, stress management, and other lifestyle changes.*
Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation, First Aid and AED certification is required *
Certification from a nationally recognized agency such as the American College of Sports Medicine, American Council on Exercise, or Cooper Clinic for Aerobic Research in the area of exercise science or be able to obtain certification within 90 days of employment. *
One year supervisory experience in a fitness center.
Minimum of one year experience conducting graded exercise test on a stationary bike or treadmill with a heart monitor, performing body composition, flexibility and strength assessments.
One-year experience counseling otherwise healthy individuals on their results and recommending fitness and lifestyle changes to make healthful changes.
Knowledge of various strength training machines and cardiovascular fitness equipment. Ability and knowledge to perform minor repairs and maintenance of exercise equipment.
Knowledge of sports programs to include all related principles, concepts and rules and must have the ability to apply them to effectively oversee and administer a versatile athletic program to include self directed activities, intramural and varsity sports. Must be knowledgeable of NCAA, AAU, ASA rules and Navy and Armed Forces instruction on sports.
Knowledge of fitness and sports facilities and sports fields for the purpose of providing guidance and technical assistance to Public Works and/or Contractors to ensure the facilities are constructed in a safe and functional manner.
Able to assess and write individualized exercise prescriptions based on individual needs of each patient referred by their medical provider, including but not limited to, permanently wounded active duty military, orthopedically injured, cardiac rehab and chronic weight management patients.
Ability to evaluate the effectiveness of all programs and to make recommendations for improving or correcting them.
Ability to develop and customize presentations and address groups. Ability to speak to individuals/groups regarding fitness and lifestyle modification is required,.
Skill in writing and developing instructions, correspondence, training plans and various reports. All written material must be understandable to a wide section of the military community as well as the civilian section. Must have the ability to write at a level that will be accepted at the command and executive level.
Ability to maintain records and reports, follow verbal and written instructions, and communicate effectively with others.
Ability to supervise, direct and motivate employees to obtain maximum productivity and efficiency. Must be knowledgeable in both appropriated/non-appropriated personnel instructions and must be able to apply them while handling routine to complex personnel issues. Must have ability and knowledge to deal with personnel actions in a logical way that would be satisfying to both management and personnel involved.
* Required by Navy Personnel Command Navy Fitness Standards (Draft) and Department of Defense Fitness Program.
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college/university in Exercise Physiology or Fitness and Nutritional Sciences is required.
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation, First Aid and AED certification is required
- Certification from a nationally recognized agency such as the American College of Sports Medicine, American Council on Exercise, or Cooper Clinic for Aerobic Research in the area of exercise science or be able to obtain certification within 90 days of employment.
- Address NSA Monterey
1 University Circle-HE057
Monterey, CA 93943
- Name: Monterey NAF HRO
- Phone: 8316561873
- Email: [email protected]