Job opening: Library Technician (Technical Services)
Salary: $18 per hour
Published at: Dec 07 2023
Employment Type: Full-time
This position will be assigned to the base Library at JBSA-Lackland AFB, TX.
This is a regular full-time category position with guaranteed 35 hours per week. Employees appointed to regular category positions are eligible for benefits.
Must be physically able to frequently lift boxes of up to 40 pounds.
Assists librarian and programming department with the planning and implementation of programs, and events. Assists in the training of new library aides and technicians on technical service tasks. - Responsible for circulation service operations. Performs circulation and registration duties by implementing established procedures for circulation functions. Monitors and maintains inventory of library materials, office and specialized library supplies. Using established procedures, prepares materials for disposal via excess lists or DRMO and prepares appropriate paperwork. Maintains and compiles library statistics on circulation, attendance, reference questions, and other required and requested data. Explains the library classification scheme, general management of library resources to customers, and assists customers with library equipment. Explains library rules, regulations, circulation procedures, and entitlements to library users.
If interested in applying for this position you may preview the online application: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/12236440
- This position requires the incumbent to complete a background investigation with favorable results.
- This position requires the incumbent to satisfactorily complete a pre-employment physical. Must be able to lift up to 40 lbs.
- This position requires shift work, working a schedule that changes from week to week dependent on facility needs, with staff scheduled to work varied hours.
Who May Apply: Open to everyone. Applicants will be categorized by preference(s) and/or priority consideration eligibilities. An applicant's eligibility will be determined based on eligibility claimed in the questionnaire and proof of eligibility MUST be provided with application by the closing date, 12/14/2023
Business Based Action, Military Spouse Preference, Outside Applicant Veteran, Spouse/Widow/Parent of Veteran, and Transition Hiring Preference
In order to qualify, you must meet the experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if the position allows for qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application.
Must have specialized experience in a Library that provided specific knowledge of library rules, policies and procedures for circulation and technical service. Must have experience or training that demonstrates the ability to perform computer processing. Must have typing experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA's):
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:
1. Knowledge of a body of standardized library rules, procedures, and operations related to one or more library functions such as those used to maintain the collection, locate information, order and process library materials, or assist clientele with inquiries; and library operating policies, circulation procedures, ready reference sources, issuance and cancellation of borrower cards, and resolving recurring problems such as lost or damaged books.
2. Knowledge of programs in a general library to conduct special events, locate materials for exhibits on a given theme, and prepare announcements of events and programs for bulletin boards and employee newsletters.
3. Knowledge of general clerical office procedures. Knowledge of one or more word processing automation software functions to support office operations and produce a variety of textual documents, such as letters, reports, memos, and form letters. Skill in typing, a qualified typist is required.
4. Knowledge of one or more automated databases associated with a specific library function to support office and library operations and produce a variety of documents and reports.
5. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with a diverse group of individuals, using a high degree of tack and diplomacy.
**NOTE: Those qualified applicants who meet both the minimum qualification requirement(s) and highly preferred criteria(s) will be considered best qualified for this position and will be referred to the selecting official(s) first for consideration. All other applicants will be referred as needed and requested by the selecting official(s).
**Reminder to Applicants: Your experience has to be clearly identified in your resume in order to receive consideration. If your resume does not provide enough information regarding your work history for us to make a creditable qualification determination, your application package may be rendered disqualified and you will no longer be considered for this position.(Format example: Employer name, position title, beginning and ending dates of employment, with summary of duties, etc.)
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. This position does not allow for education substitution.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying.
- Address JBSA Lackland NAF HR
802 FSS/FSCN, 415 B Street East, Bldg 598
Randolph AFB, TX 78150-4424
- Name: JBSA Lackland NAF HR Office
- Email: [email protected]