Job opening: Heating and Air Conditioning Equipment Mechanic
Salary: $31 - 36 per hour
Published at: Sep 22 2023
Employment Type: Full-time
This is a Direct Hire Authority (DHA) solicitation utilizing the DHA for Certain Personnel of the DoD workforce to recruit and appoint qualified candidates to positions in the competitive service.
About the Position: The position is with the US Army Garrison, Directorate of Public Works, located at Aberdeen Proving Ground (APG), MD. APG is located in Harford County, MD. The area offers housing, public, private school systems, recreation, sports, golf, pools, and child/day care facilities.
Perform the full range of work involved in the repair, overhaul, maintenance and servicing of heating, ventilation and air conditioning units and systems.
Troubleshoot and repair equipment which specifications and technical manuals do not exist or have large gaps.
Train inexperienced personnel by giving on-the-job instructions and assistance.
Prepare instructional material and conduct instruction of operators.
Serve as emergency (no heat) mechanic. Installs and repairs underground high- and low-pressure gas distribution lines.
Operate a government vehicle that does not exceed the 1-ton weight range; operates a forklift.
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- This position requires a pre-employment Physical Examination and an annual examination thereafter to ensure the continued, required level of physical health and ability or fitness to perform the duties of the position.
- The duties of this position require the incumbent to possess or obtain and maintain a valid state Driver's License in one of the 50 U.S. states or possessions to operate vehicles.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a valid Army Motor Vehicle operator's permit.
- The duties of this position require the incumbent to obtain and maintain a certification to operate a Forklift up to 15000 lbs. and motorized lifts.
- This position requires shift work to provide coverage on evenings, weekends, holidays, or special situations.
- This position has a requirement to lift up to 50lbs. in the regular performance of duties.
- Appointment to this position is subject to a one-year probationary period unless the appointee has previously met the requirements as described in 5 CFR Part 315.
Who May Apply:
Priority Placement Program, DoD Military Spouse Preference (MSP) Eligible (PPP DoD MSP)
In order to qualify, you must meet the experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
There is no specific length of training or experience required. However, you must be able to demonstrate, through experience shown in your written application materials that you possess the sufficient knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the work of this position without more than normal supervision.
Minimum Qualifications (Screen Out Element): Ability to do the work of Heating and Air Conditioning Equipment Mechanic without more than normal supervision. I have the ability to perform the full range of maintenance and repair duties as a Heating and Air Conditioning Equipment Mechanic. I am skilled in troubleshooting, installing, repairing and modifying heating and air conditioning and refrigeration systems. I work on my own initiative under general supervision subject to occasional inspection.
Failure to meet this Screen Out Element will result in an ineligible rating.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:
Ability To Do The Work Of The Position Without More Than Normal Supervision (Screen-out Element)Ability to Interpret Instructions, Specification, etc. (includes blueprint reading)Ability To Use and Maintain Tools and EquipmentKnowledge of Equipment Assembly, Installation, Repair, etc.Knowledge of MaterialsTechnical Practices (theoretical, precise, artistic)Trouble Shooting
Work requires walking, standing, stooping, bending, kneeling, climbing and working in tiring and uncomfortable positions. Frequently lifts and carries parts and equipment weighing up to 40 pounds; occasionally handles items weighing up to 100 pounds with assistance.
Works inside and outside, exposed to dirt, sewage, dust, grease, fumes, and refrigerant gases. Is subject to injury from use of hand and power tools, and to burns, cuts, bruises and electrical shock. May be required to wear and/or use protective clothing and equipment in accordance with established health and safety regulations and SOPs. Works outside and is occasionally exposed to bad weather while loading and unloading vehicle. Is subject to cuts, bruises, and broken bones as a result of accidents while driving or when loading and unloading vehicles. Is exposed to the possibility of serious accidents while driving in all types of traffic and weather. Some assignments require wearing protective equipment such as breathing protection; rubberized suits, goggles, or rubber gloves for extended periods.
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this position, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone--no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
- Address AG-APF-W4QVAA US ARMY GARRISON ABERDEEN PRV GRND
DO NOT MAIL
Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD 21005
- Name: Army Applicant Help Desk
- Email: [email protected]