Job opening: Histopathology Technician
Salary: $64 957 - 84 441 per year
Published at: Sep 22 2023
Employment Type: Full-time
About the Position: This position is in Anatomical Pathology, located at the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Bethesda, MD.
This is a Direct Hire Solicitation
Perform special processing procedures such as myocardial biopsy processing, special and immunoperoxidase stains, bone and teeth decalcification, frozen section tissue preparation and brain/nerve tissue processing.
Independently select stain based on an understanding of the underlying chemical reactions of the stains on certain tissues or cells and their value in the establishment of the correct results for the diagnostic, didactic, and research purposes.
Stain slides using variety of stains such as Periodic Acid Schiffs and Leder Stains requiring many complex and delicate procedures and careful control of the staining reaction to achieve precise staining results.
Select the proper controls to assure correct results of the stain or reaction, review staining quality for acceptability, and forward complete slide(s) to the pathologist.
Adapt technical procedures for a number of different variables in the process of fixing and staining tissue.
Conduct quality control procedures on equipment, reagents, and maintain proper records for quality control reports. Accept and reject slides on basis of proper staining by assessing the characteristics and quality of the stained material.
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- This position requires the incumbent be able to obtain and maintain a determination of eligibility for a Tier 3 security investigation or access for the duration of employment. A background investigation and credit check are required.
- This position requires the incumbent to have tuberculosis testing.
- This position may require the incumbent to work on any day or shift, including PMs, nights, weekends, holidays, or on an "on call" basis, necessary to meet mission requirements.
- This position requires the completion of a pre-employment Physical Examination and an annual examination thereafter to ensure the continued, required level of physical health and ability or fitness to perform the duties of the position.
- Moderate to heavy lifting up to 50 pounds is required.
- This position has been designated Mission Essential. In the event of severe weather conditions or other such emergency type situations the incumbent is required to report to work or remain at work as scheduled to support mission operations.
Who May Apply: US Citizens
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Specialized Experience: One year of specialized experience which includes embedding, cutting and staining paraffin embedded tissue; and operating tissue processors and automated stainers. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-08).
Education: Master's or equivalent graduate degree or 2 full years of progressively higher-level graduate education leading to such a degree in a field directly related to the work of the position, such as Histopathology.
Combination of Education and Experience: A combination of education and experience may be used to qualify for this position as long as the computed percentage of the requirements is at least 100%. To compute the percentage of the requirements, divide your total months of experience by 12. Then divide the total number of completed graduate semester hours (or equivalent) beyond the first year (total semester hours minus 18) by 18. Add the two percentages.
Although not required, ASCP Certification is preferred.
If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
- Address JT-DHA-DDAAFF DHA NCR MKT-WR NATL MIL MED CTR
DO NOT MAIL
Bethesda, MD 20889
- Name: Army Applicant Help Desk