Job opening: Materials Handler
Salary: $21 - 25 per hour
Published at: Sep 22 2023
Employment Type: Full-time
You will serve as a Materials Handler of NAVSUP FLT LOGISTICS CNTR SAN DIEGO.
You will independently perform a wide range of warehousing activities including receiving, storing, selecting, shipping, pick-up and delivery of general or specialized bulk materials and equipment.
You will load and unload material, scan barcodes or key receipt information into automated record system.
You will operate Material Handling Equipment (MHE), including forklifts, up to 10,000 pounds capacity.
You will drive one or more types of trucks, such as pickup, panel and flatbed trucks, which typically have a gross vehicle weight of 10,00 pounds or less, on public roads at highway speeds.
You will maintain records and document actions.
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Must be determined suitable for federal employment.
- Must participate in the direct deposit pay program.
- New employees to the Department of the Navy will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit e-verify.gov
- Within the Department of Defense (DoD), the appointment of retired military members within 180 days immediately following retirement date to a civilian position is subject to the provisions of 5 United States Code 3326.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service.
- You will be required to obtain and maintain a current valid United States driver's license.
- You must be willing to obtain and maintain a government license for all assigned equipment, including forklifts.
- You will be required to successfully complete a pre-appointment physical examination.
- You will be required to wear personal protective equipment such as hard hats, steel toed shoes, rubber gloves, masks, and rubber aprons.
- You may be required to lift and carry weights up to 40 lbs.
- This is a Mission Essential position. You will be required to ensure organization or facility continuity of operations and/or completion of tasks that are considered essential to the mission designated by a local or command decision.
- You "may" be coded as "key" and as such may be required to be removed from your military recall status. A signed statement of understanding is required.
- You will be required to obtain and maintain an interim and/or final security clearance prior to entrance on duty. Failure to obtain and maintain the required level of clearance may result in the withdrawal of a job offer or removal
Although a specific length of time and experience is not required for most trade and labor occupations, you must show through experience and training that you possess the quality level of knowledge and skill necessary to perform the duties of the position at the level for which you are applying. Qualification requirements emphasis is on quality of experience, not necessarily the length of time.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the job elements and screen out listed below.
This job has a screen-out element which will be used to determine minimum eligibility for this job. Applicants who do not receive a minimum of two points on the screen-out element(s) will be found ineligible. The Screen-out Element for this position is: The ability to perform the work of a Materials Handler as demonstrated by experience, working under close supervision receiving, issuing, handling, segregating, storing, stowing, inventorying, selecting and preparing for shipment, and documenting the movement and storage of supplies, equipment, or materials in accordance with prescribed regulations; performing inspections of incoming shipments to check for damage and correct quantities; documenting discrepancies and damage; reading shipping documents; using computer applications to document/maintain required data; complying with proper handling and storage procedures; operating material handling equipment (MHE) such as pallet jacks and dollies (hand trucks).
Applicants must meet the requirements of the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Job Qualification Handbook for Trades and Labor Occupations. Additional qualification information can be found at: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/federal-wage-system-qualifications/#url=List-of-Approved-Job-Elements
There is no education requirement or substitution for this position.
- Address NAVSUP FLT LOGISTICS CNTR SAN DIEGO
3985 Cummings Road
San Diego, CA 92136
- Name: Department of Navy EIC
- Email: [email protected]