Job opening: Maintenance Mechanic Helper
Salary: $19 - 22 per hour
Published at: Sep 19 2023
Employment Type: Full-time
The primary purpose of this position is to carry out Maintenance Mechanic Helper work as part of a general maintenance crew, accomplishing trade and labor work in the maintenance and repair of facilities.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Performs minor plumbing repairs, and replacements. Repairs or replaces leaky faucets, unstops drains and replaces shower fixtures.
- Performs minor electrical work. Replaces light bulbs from stock.
- Performs miscellaneous labor and building maintenance including replacing ceiling tiles, cleaning ventilation registers, cleaning light fixtures, cleaning fire sprinkler heads, and minor patch and paint. Inspects buildings for cleanliness. Polices grounds around buildings.
- Makes minor repairs to buildings using carpentry skills including but not limited to caulking and sealing, inspect/caulk fire walls, minor carpentry, floor tile, and minor wall and door repairs.
- Reports all work beyond his capabilities to the Work Order Clerk.
- Operates a pick-up truck/sedan/station wagon to pick up supplies.
- Performs House Keeping duties to maintain the cleanliness of Electrical Rooms, Mechanical Rooms, and Roofs.
- Performs duties of Wiping, Cleaning, Vacuuming Exterior of Air Conditioning Equipment, Electrical panels and Equipment Cabinets.
- Performs duties of Installing Labels and Identification tags for valves, panels, equipment and cabinets.
- Performs duties of searching and documenting equipment locations for NX Inventories.
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday; 8:00am - 4:30pm
Position Description Title/PD#: Maintenance Mechanic Helper/PD08665A
Physical Requirements: May work from ladders and where areas are hard-to-reach. Requires incumbent to stand, stoop, bend, kneel, climb and work in tiring or uncomfortable positions. Arm movements may be considered when using hand tools. May occasionally lift and carry materials and equipment weighing 50 pounds or over.
- You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this job
- Subject to a background/suitability investigation
- May serve a probationary period
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- A complete application package; Resume, Transcripts, etc.
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Pre-employment physical
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
EXPERIENCE: A specific length of training and experience is not required, but you must show evidence of training or experience of sufficient scope and quality of your ability to do the work of this position. Evidence which demonstrates you possess the knowledge, skills, and ability to perform the duties of this position must be supported by detailed descriptions of such on your resume. Applicants will be rated in accordance with the OPM Federal Wage System Qualification Standards.
SCREEN-OUT ELEMENT: Your qualifications will first be evaluated against the prescribed screen out element, which usually appears as question 1 in the on-line questionnaire. Those applicants who appear to possess at least the minimal acceptable qualification requirement are considered for further rating; those who do not are rated ineligible and are eliminated. The potential eligibles are then rated against the remainder of the Job Elements:
Equipment Assembly, Installation, RepairInterpret Instructions, Specifications (includes blueprint reading)MaterialsMeasuring InstrumentsTechnical PracticesUse and Maintain Tools and EquipmentWithout more than normal supervision
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note: A full year of work is considered to be 35-40 hours of work per week. Part-time experience will be credited on the basis of time actually spent in appropriate activities. Applicants wishing to receive credit for such experience must indicate clearly the nature of their duties and responsibilities in each position and the number of hours a week spent in such employment.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
- Address VA Central Texas Health Care System
1901 Veterans Memorial Drive
Temple, TX 76504
- Name: VISN 17 SSU USAS Group
- Email: [email protected]