Job opening: Cook
Salary: $25 - 29 per hour
Published at: Aug 12 2023
Employment Type: Full-time
About the Position: This position is located at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center (WRNMMC). The applicant will be working 40 hour work weeks. Applicant will work in the kitchen doing meal production and service. Tour of duty 2:00 P.M.- 10:30P.M, includes some weekends and holidays. The worker is exposed to steam, fumes, and odors from cooking and to extreme temperature changes by nature of working in the kitchen.
Prepare high quality foods to order in a professional manner.
Respond to room service orders as they are received.
Prepare and plate items for delivery to rooms.
Perform the preparation of regular and modified diet foods.
Operate kitchen equipment such as mixers, grinders, steam kettles, electric urns, fryers, grills, and other powered and mechanical equipment.
Disassemble equipment for manual cleaning.
Clean and sanitize equipment and work areas.
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- This position requires the incumbent be able to obtain and maintain a determination of eligibility for a Tier 3 security investigation or access for the duration of employment. A background investigation and credit check are required.
- Appointment may require a suitability/fitness determination.
- This position has mandatory seasonal influenza vaccination requirements and is subject to annual seasonal influenza vaccinations unless otherwise exempted for medical or religious reasons (documentation of exemption must be provided upon hire).
- This position requires the completion of a pre-employment Physical Examination and an annual examination thereafter to ensure the continued, required level of physical health and ability or fitness to perform the duties of the position.
- This position may require the incumbent to work on any day or shift, including PMs, nights, weekends, holidays, or on an on call basis, necessary to meet mission requirements.
- This position has been designated Mission Essential. In the event of severe weather conditions or other such emergency type situations, the incumbent is required to report to work or remain at work as scheduled to support mission operations.
Who May Apply: US Citizens
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
There is no specific length of training or experience required. However, you must be able to demonstrate, through experience shown in your written application materials that you possess the sufficient knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the work of this position without more than normal supervision.
Minimum Qualifications (Screen Out Element): Ability to do the work of a(n) Cook ~ without more than normal supervision. I have the ability to perform common food preparation duties. I can perform simplified tasks for the preparation and cooking/reheating of fresh, frozen and canned fruits and vegetables, cereals, eggs, soups, meat and meat products, gravies, sauces, fish, poultry, potatoes or starch substitutes. I work under close supervision of a work leader or journey-level employee who observes tasks in progress and upon completion to make sure they are properly performed. - Failure to meet this Screen out Element will result in an ineligible rating.
Ability To Do The Work Of The Position Without More Than Normal SupervisionAbility to Interpret Instructions, Specification, etc.Ability To Use and Maintain Tools and EquipmentDexterity and SafetyKnowledge of MaterialsTechnical Practices (theoretical, precise, artistic)Work Practices
PHYSICAL EFFORTS: Requires continual standing and walking; frequent stooping, reaching, pushing, pulling, and bending. Frequently lifts or moves objects weighing up to 40 pounds unassisted and occasionally lifts or moves objects weighing over 40 pounds with the assistance of lifting devices or other workers.
WORKING CONDITIONS: The work is performed in kitchen areas where the steam and heat from cooking and dishwashing equipment often cause uncomfortably high temperatures and humidity. The work area is well lighted, but usually noisy from food service activities and there is a danger of slipping on floors where food or beverages have been dropped. There is regular exposure to hot liquids, sharp cutting blades, hot working surfaces, and extreme temperature changes when entering walk-in refrigerators or freezing units. Must abide by personal hygiene standards and safe work procedures such as wearing a hairnet or hat and a clean uniform daily.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
- Address JT-DHA-DDAAFF DHA NCR MKT-WR NATL MIL MED CTR
DO NOT MAIL
Bethesda, MD 20889
- Name: Army Applicant Help Desk