Job opening: Firefighter (Paramedic)
Salary: $58 397 - 75 914 per year
Published at: Aug 12 2023
Employment Type: Full-time
About the Position: Perform operator maintenance on emergency vehicles, firefighting and medical equipment as required.
This position is included under the provisions of Special Retirement Coverage (SRC) and has both a maximum entry age and a mandatory retirement date. For more information follow this link:
Respond to fire alarms for all classes of fires, including those involving radioactive and/or hazardous materials, medical emergencies, rescue operations, wild land fires, hazardous material incidents, and aircraft emergencies.
Assess fire ground conditions. Upon arrival at emergency scene position apparatus, take into consideration pre-planned instructions and such factors as hydrant locations, exposure, wind direction, overhead power lines, terrain, and rescue equipment.
Provide medical care to on-site accidents and other emergencies involving injuries and illnesses. Conduct complete examination and determine the nature, extent, and seriousness of their condition and determine the appropriate treatment.
Perform operator maintenance on emergency vehicles, firefighting and medical equipment as required.
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- This position requires the completion of pre-employment and periodic subsequent medical examination in accordance with DoDM 6055.06 to ensure continued, required level of physical health and ability or fitness to perform the duties of the position.
- This position has a heavy physical exertion, heavy lifting, and climbing ladders for an extended period of time in the regular performance of duties.
- The duties of this position meet the criteria for compliance with Federal and Department of the Army Drug Free Workplace Programs. Detection of the presence of drugs is warranted.
- In accordance with AR 690-11, this position has been designated as "Key" and shall not be vacated during a national emergency or mobilization as doing so would seriously impair the capability of the organization to function effectively.
- This position requires the employee to use personal protective equipment provided by the employer.
- This position requires the incumbent to wear the prescribed uniform and/or personal protective equipment while on duty.
- The duties of this position require the incumbent to possess or obtain and maintain a valid state Driver's License in one of the 50 U.S. states or possessions to operate vehicles.
- This position requires successful completion of an annual Job Performance Test.
- This position requires the incumbent to conform to the requirements set-forth in the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1500, Fire Department Occupational Health and Safety Program.
- This position requires the incumbent participate in the department's wellness program to include a structured physical exercise program, annual physical examination, and annual physical agility test.
- Incumbent will be exposed to flames, extreme heat, cold, dust, smoke, water, and possible explosions.
- Incumbent must be able to maintain necessary alertness, self-control, and emotional stability under emergency conditions.
- Incumbent will work a 72-hour weekly tour and may be required to work weekends and holidays.
- Incumbent is subject to 24-hour recall by the Fire Chief, Deputy Chief, or Assistant Chiefs to provide services, repair, or advice.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain Airport Firefighter (IFSAC/Pro-Board) certification within 18 months of appointment.
- This position is subject to a pre-employment screening, and random testing thereafter, to include testing based on reasonable suspicion and testing due to direct involvement with an on-duty accident.
Who May Apply: US Citizens
In order to qualify, you must meet the experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Specialized Experience: One year of specialized experience which includes: 1) responding to fire alarms for all classes of fires, including those involving radioactive and/or hazardous materials, medical emergencies, rescue operations, wild land fires, hazardous material incidents, and aircraft emergencies; 2) responding to accidents and other emergencies involving injuries and illnesses AND 3) conducting complete examinations of patients to determine their conditions and the appropriate treatments. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-08).
In addition to meeting the specialized experience requirement above, applicants must also possess: Firefighter II, HAZMAT Operations, HAZMAT Technician, Driver/Operator Pumper, and National Wildfire Coordinating Group (NWCG)/National Incident Management System (NIMS) Incident Command System (ICS) qualification indicating Firefighter Type II certification (Red Card)certified through DoD Fire and Emergency Services Certification System, International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC), or the Fire Service Professional Qualifications System (PRO-Board) in accordance with DoD 6055.06-M; Basic and Advanced Cardiac Life Support Certification, and Emergency Medical Technician Paramedic (EMT-P), which must be issued by State or National Registry. (Applicants must provide copies of certifications with their applicant package).
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:
Emergency Medical CareFire SuppressionFirefighting EquipmentInspection, Testing, and Maintenance
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
- Address EI-APF-W0VNAA US ARMY GARRISON FT CARSON HQ
DO NOT MAIL
Fort Carson, CO 80913
- Name: Army Applicant Help Desk