Job opening: Transportation Assistant (Deployable)
Salary: $57 778 - 75 111 per year
Published at: Aug 11 2023
Employment Type: Full-time
See below for important information regarding this job.
Plans, coordinates and controls shipment of material and equipment
Prepares shipment documentation for material and equipment shipped to include hazardous materials
Provides advice and assistance to customers concerning all aspects and phases of the DLA Distribution Depot transportation and distribution functions
Provides status, resolves problems, prepares reports, and traces shipments upon requests.
Provides traffic management support through selection, approval, procurement, and use of safe and effective services carriers at the least cost to the government.
Determines the most efficient economical rates and routes to destination involving domestic inbound and export shipments, originating at any point worldwide.
Is responsible for the classification, rating, routing, and movement of a wide range of commodities, which includes hazardous materials.
Plans shipping dates, material pick up and loading times of equipment and material to be shipped from DLA Distribution Depot to other government activities, both overseas and CONUS.
Performs the day-to-day functions of the verification and payment of invoices utilizing various automated systems.
Computes and verifies transportation costs and contacts carriers for rates when required.
Determines economical routing based on technical review of guides and tariffs.
Reviews automated documentation for all types of shipments taking appropriate action to correct any invalid, void,
or missing information.
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Tour of Duty: Set Schedule
- Security Requirements: Non-Critical Sensitive
- Appointment is subject to the completion of a favorable suitability or fitness determination, where reciprocity cannot be applied; unfavorably adjudicated background checks will be grounds for removal.
- Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA): Non-Exempt
- Selective Service Requirement: Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service.
- Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
- Bargaining Unit Status: Yes
- Pre-Employment Physical: Required
- Expeditionary Civilian (EC): Emergency Essential
- This position and any future selections from this announcement may be used to fill various shifts located anywhere within DLA Distribution San Joaquin, CA.
- Must be able to acquire and maintain a Government Credit Card, Government Passport and the DLA Distribution J9 published requirements for all personal health, license, and other qualifications.
- Licenses/Certifications: Must be able to obtain and maintain a valid Material Handling Equipment (MHE) license.
- Licenses/Certifications: Must be able to obtain and maintain a valid state driver?s license/certification to operate government vehicles.
- Licenses/Certifications: Must be able to obtain and maintain licenses and/or certifications required by the installation, federal, state, and local laws.
- Licenses/Certifications: Must be able to obtain and maintain required hazardous materials handling certifications.
To qualify for a Transportation Assistant, your qualifications must include:
A. Specialized Experience: One year of specialized experience that equipped you with the particular competencies to successfully perform the duties of the position, and is directly in or related to this position. To qualify at the GS-07 level, applicants must possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-06 level or equivalent under other pay systems in the Federal service, military or private sector. Applicants must meet eligibility requirements including time-in-grade (General Schedule (GS) positions only), time-after-competitive appointment, minimum qualifications, and any other regulatory requirements by the cut-off/closing date of the announcement. Creditable specialized experience includes: Determines the most efficient economical rates and routes to final destination involving domestic inbound and export shipments; Classifies, rates, routes, and moves a wide range of commodities including hazardous material.
B. Education Substitution: As a general rule, education is not creditable above GS-5 for most positions covered by this standard; however, graduate education may be credited in those few instances where the graduate education is directly related to the work of the position.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Substitution of education may not be used in lieu of specialized experience for this grade level.
- Address DLA Distribution San Joaquin
PO Box 960001
Stockton, CA 95296
- Name: Casandra Williams
- Phone: 717-770-2824
- Email: [email protected]