Job opening: POWERED SUPPORT SYSTEMS MECHANIC (RECRUITMENT INCENTIVE)
Salary: $27 - 32 per hour
Published at: Aug 11 2023
Employment Type: Full-time
THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 32 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION.
This National Guard position is for a Powered Support Systems Mechanic, Position Description Number D1067000, and is part of the Army Aviation Support Facility of the Vermont Army National Guard.
The primary purpose for the position is to perform duties involving the maintenance and repair of power ground and other support equipment used in aircraft servicing and repairs.
Responsible for the Ground Support Equipment maintenance program, inventory control, and the identification and scheduling of preventive maintenance requirements for ground support equipment. Troubleshoots deficiencies and repairs flight critical equipment including lifting devices, turbine powered generators, towing devices and auxiliary power units.
Trouble-shoots, repairs; services; performs modifications on, and operates powered ground support equipment such as AC and DC power generators, air compressors, blowers, heaters, portable lighting units, deicers and non-powered equipment to include work stands, jacks, ramps, tow-bars, etc. Trouble-shoots equipment and determines the extent of repairs as well as the parts required. The authorized level of maintenance includes troubleshooting, tune-ups and adjustments of internal combustion and turbine engines, fuel controls, carburetors, clutch linkage, brakes and other mechanical links that utilize common hand tools and a variety of test equipment.
Performs required preventive maintenance and servicing of equipment including repairing and replacing tires, lubrication, oil changes, replacing air, fuel and oil filters, checking fluid levels; and adjusting or replacing ignition parts, hoses, v-belts, and other items. Keeps equipment clean and free from dirt, oil, grease and corrosion. Periodically observes the operation of equipment to detect problems. Maintains records and equipment log books.
Performs major system component overhaul/rebuild, repair/replacement and troubleshooting as needed, to include but not limited to, power-plant systems, brake systems, steering systems, hydraulic systems, diesel and gas systems, air systems, starting systems, ignition systems and electrical systems in addition to the following components, power-plant, brake, fuel, steering, hydraulic, air, starting, ignition and electrical system.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED. If you are not sure you are eligible for military membership, please contact 1-800-GO-GUARD or visit NATIONALGUARD.COM/VT prior to applying for this position.
- Applicants who are not currently a member of the National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership and employment in the National Guard in the military grade listed in this announcement.
- This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the Vermont National Guard, required prior to the effective date of placement.
- Acceptance of an excepted service position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment.
- Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform.
- Federal employment suitability as determined by a background investigation.
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
- Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
- Recruitment Incentive may be authorized.
- Must successfully complete a pre-employment physical examination in accordance with 5 CFR, Part 339 and Technician Personnel Regulation 355
- Must be able to maintain the appropriate security clearance of the position.
- Males born after 31 December 1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
- Irregular and/or overtime (compensatory) hours may be required to support operational requirements or contingencies or may be required to work hours outside of the normal duty day.
- Ability to establish effective professional working relationships with coworkers and customers, contributing to a cooperative working environment and successful accomplishment of the mission.
NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED: This is a Title 32 excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the National Guard. Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform. Acceptance of an excepted service position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment. Applicants who are not currently a member of the Vermont Army National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership and employment in the National Guard in the military grade listed in this announcement. If you are not sure you are eligible for military membership, please contact 1-800-GO-GUARD or visit NATIONALGUARD.COM/VT prior to applying for this position.
OPEN AREAS OF CONSIDERATION: AREA 1, 2,3, 4
Area I: All current On-board Permanent and Indefinite Dual Status 32 and Title 5 (Competitive and Excepted) Technicians (Tenure: 1-Career, 2-Conditional, 3-Indefinite) - Only those Vermont National Guard members who are in permanent or indefinite technician status as a result of being competitively hired within that National Guard component applying for a position within the component which they are currently employed.
Area II: All Members of the Vermont Army National Guard.
Area III: Currently assigned service members in other branches of the military outside of the VTNG, to include those assigned to Active Duty, Reserve or other state's National Guard.
Area IV: All individuals able to and willing to become members of the Vermont Army National Guard including prior service not currently assigned to a military component and non-prior service US civilians.
Military Rank/Grade: Enlisted: PV1/ E1 - MSG/E-8.
GENERAL EXPERIENCE: Experience or training which demonstrates the knowledge of mechanical maintenance work; ability to read and use technical manuals, illustrations, diagrams and schematics, and skill in the use of equipment and hand tools used in troubleshooting, testing and repairing equipment.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE WG-5378-10: Must have at least 18 months experience or training removing, adjusting, replacing, cleaning, and installing parts, components, and accessories. Experience which provided working knowledge of mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic theory applying to powered support equipment and systems; and skill to replace, fit, install, and make adjustments. Experience which provided working knowledge of the makeup and operation of the various individual systems maintained and their interrelationships. Experience reading and interpreting parts lists, manufactures' repair manuals, diagrams, and electrical schematics.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
- This position is covered by the Domestic Violence Misdemeanor Amendment (30 Sep 96) of the Gun Control Act (Lautenberg Amendment) of 1968. An individual convicted of a qualifying crime of domestic violence may not perform the duties of this position.
- The duties and responsibilities of your job may significantly impact the environment. You are responsible to maintain awareness of your environmental responsibilities as dictated by legal and regulatory requirements, your organization, and its changing mission.
Please be advised:
1. Specialized experience will be used to determine qualifications for the announced position.
2. An applicant's RESUME must provide, in detail, how they meet the specialized experience listed.
3. It must be documented with "from (mm/yy)" and "to (mm/yy)" dates and description of the specialized experience.
4. If education or a degree is required as part of the "Specialized Experience", you must include transcripts.
Do not copy the specialized experience qualifications word for word and place into your resume; you must describe your personal experience as it pertains to each statement.
There are no specific educational requirements for this position.
- Address Vermont Army National Guard Army Aviation Support Facility
141 Shamrock Road
South Burlington, VT 05403
- Name: Louise Acker
- Phone: (802) 338-3145
- Email: [email protected]