Job opening: Medical Technician
Salary: $44 777 - 58 207 per year
Published at: Aug 09 2023
Employment Type: Full-time
This is a Direct Hire Authority (DHA) solicitation utilizing the DHA for Certain Personnel of the DoD Workforce to recruit and appoint qualified candidates to positions in the competitive service.
About the Position: Serve as a Medical Technician in the Military Entrance Processing Station at Miami FL. Provide assistance to the examining Medical Officer with applicant examination and determination of applicant's fitness for military duty.
Maintain applicant's medical record during the examination process.
Prepare Drug and Alcohol Test (DAT) control logs, labels specimens, obtains control log signatures and specimen label initials, quality checks chain of custody document ensuring no information is missing or in error.
Ensure proper format, coding, and completion of a multitude of Department of Defense and USMEPCOM-unique medical forms.
Performs phlebotomy procedures to obtain blood samples for HIV and other laboratory tests, using USMEPCOM-standard safety precautions.
Conduct standardized medical orientation briefing to applicants.
Set up and performs operator-level maintenance (including daily preventative maintenance and services) on testing equipment.
Perform computer data entry utilizing applicable computer programs.
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- One year trial/probationary period may be required.
- This position has a Temporary Duty (TDY) or business travel requirement of 5% of the time.
- This position requires shift work to provide coverage on evenings, weekends, holidays, or special situations.
- This position requires the employee to wear a uniform, scrubs, or other appropriate medical professional attire while on duty.
- This position has a mandatory seasonal influenza vaccination requirement and is subject to annual vaccination.
- This position requires to perform (demonstrate) and evaluate military physical aptitude (maneuvers) tests.
- Required to submit to a blood test when hired and on a yearly basis.
- Must complete applicable Military Health System (MHS) GENESIS Training within 30 days of on-boarding and/or as required.
- Must use restrictive and protective clothing such as surgical gloves; cannot wear exposing footwear.
Who May Apply: US Citizens
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
One year of specialized experience which includes assisting with physical examinations (such as optical or audiometric tests, Electrocardiogram, urine collection/processing analysis) performing phlebotomy, operating medical equipment (such as audiometers, stereoscopic vision tests, and/or centrifuges), and documenting patients medical information; OR technical support work in a closely related field such as: biological laboratory technician work, that required application of the methods and techniques for the position to be filled. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-05).
Education: A half year (i.e., 9 semester hours) of graduate level education in a field directly related to the work of the position, such as chemical, microbiologic, hematologic and blood banking.
Combination of Education and Experience: A combination of education and experience may be used to qualify for this position as long as the computed percentage of the requirements is at least 100%. To compute the percentage of the requirements, divide your total months of experience by 12. Then divide the total number of completed graduate semester hours (or equivalent) by 9. Add the two percentages.
If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
- Address GV-APF-W18SAA MEPS MIAMI
DO NOT MAIL
Jacksonville, FL 32232
- Name: Army Applicant Help Desk