Job opening: PUBLIC AFFAIRS SPECIALIST
Salary: $57 118 - 74 250 per year
Published at: Aug 09 2023
Employment Type: Full-time
This is a National Guard Title 32 Excepted position for a PUBLIC AFFAIRS SPECIALIST, Position Description Number PDD1167000, and is part of the SC CHIEF OF STAFF, South Carolina Army National Guard.
This position is located in the Joint Force Headquarters -State, Personal Staff, Public Affairs Office (PAO). The primary purpose of the position is to collect, assemble, prepare and disseminate information concerning the various activities of the state's NG.
Work involves administering, supervising, or performing work in establishing and maintaining mutual communication between National Guard, general public and various other pertinent audiences including internal or external, foreign or domestic. Advises management on policy formulation and the potential public reaction to proposed policy. Identifies and carries out the public communication requirements inherent in disseminating policy decisions. Identifies communication needs and develops informational materials to inform the public.
- NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED. This is a Title 32 Technician Vacancy that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the employing state's National Guard.
- Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform.
- Acceptance of an excepted service position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment.
- Males born after 31 December 1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
- For positions requiring the operation of motor vehicles, candidates must have a valid state driver's license for the state in which they live or are principally employed.
THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 32 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION OPEN TO THE FOLLOWING AREA OF CONSIDERATION (AOC):
Area of Consideration: This position is open to Area 1 and 2 Only.
Area 1: Current employees of the South Carolina Army National Guard (Tenure 1 and 2)
Area 2: Current members of the South Carolina Army National Guard
Area 3: Any individual eligible for membership in the South Carolina Army National Guard
*Temporary and Indefinite employees do not meet permanent tenure requirements and are not eligible for Area 1.
MILITARY REQUIREMENTS: This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the employing state's National Guard. Applicants who are not currently a member of the National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership. If you are not sure you are eligible for military membership, please contact a National Guard recruiter prior to applying for this position.
Military Grades: OFFICER/ ENLISTED ONLY
Military Requirements- Military skill set is determined by AFSC/MOS requirements. Upon selection, individuals must be assigned to a compatible military AFSC/MOS in accordance with statutes and National Guard Bureau regulations and must obtain/maintain all requirements of the AFSC/MOS. Specific requirements are found in: references listed below, NGB Compatibility tables and your local Personnel section.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: Experience, education, or training in administrative, professional, investigative and/or technical work. Experience evaluating information and/or utilizing analytical skills to disseminate effective communication. Experience using computers and automation systems.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: Must have at least 24 months experience, education, or training involving knowledge of writing, communication principles, methods and techniques that relate to the public affairs of an agency. Experience in applying and adapting knowledge of strictly controlled situations of an agency. Experience writing articles on routine events of noncontroversial subjects. Experience responding timely and appropriately to requests for information concerning agency programs and services. Experience participating in meetings with specialized groups to listen to and understand feedback on agency programs that are of particular interest to public.
*Other Requirements - For positions requiring the operation of motor vehicles, candidates must have a valid state driver's license for the state in which they live or are principally employed.
For positions requiring a security clearance (Secret or Top Secret) the applicant must possess or be able to obtain a clearance within one year of appointment.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT & NOTES:
1. Must be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate security clearance of the position.
2. This position is covered by the Domestic Violence Misdemeanor Amendment (30 Sep 96) of the Gun Control Act (Lautenberg Amendment) of 1968. An individual convicted of a qualifying crime of domestic violence may not perform the duties of this position.
3. Ability to establish effective professional working relationships with coworkers and customers, contributing to a cooperative working environment and successful accomplishment of the mission.
4. May occasionally be required to work other than normal duty hours; overtime may be required.
5. The duties and responsibilities of your job may significantly impact the environment. You are responsible to maintain awareness of your environmental responsibilities as dictated by legal and regulatory requirements, your organization, and its changing mission.
Substitution of Education for Specialized Experience - Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in any field leading to a bachelor's degree, in an accredited college or university, meets the GS-5 level requirements.
- Address SC CHIEF OF STAFF
1 National Guard Road
Columbia, SC 29201
- Name: Shanequa Pendergrass
- Email: [email protected]