Over 1 Million Paying Vacancies Available. Discover Your Dream Vacancy with Us!

Are you looking for a Wildlife Biologist? We suggest you consider a direct vacancy at U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in Milbridge. The page displays the terms, salary level, and employer contacts U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service person

Job opening: Wildlife Biologist

Salary: $86 962 - 113 047 per year
Relocation: YES
City: Milbridge
Published at: May 16 2024
Employment Type: Full-time
This position is a Wildlife Biologist, GS-0486-12 working in Rockland, ME or Milbridge, ME for the R5-Maine Coastal Islands NWR Complex. NOTE: You must have a Public Land Corps (PLC) certificate of eligibility for noncompetitive hiring based on PLC service, or be a VEOA eligible veteran or have a CTAP/ICTAP eligibility in order to apply to this position.


As a Wildlife Biologist your duties may include, but are not limited to, the following: Designs, analyzes, plans, manages and implements the biological programs, or a major segment of the programs, involving natural resources of significant national or international importance. Develops and recommends comprehensive management plans covering the biological programs. Provides biological advice and guidance to senior-level management in the development of comprehensive management plans and coordinates activities with involved agencies, researchers, and other stakeholders, including State and County officials, Native American Tribes and special interest groups and or/ private organizations to identify and resolve biological and management issues of local and national significance. Prepares issue papers, briefing documents, reports, and portions of management plans, and provides verbal briefings to Supervisor, Regional Directorate, and others regarding issues that could affect the ecological integrity of resources within Service jurisdiction. Ability to use computer equipment and a variety of software (such as word processing, spreadsheets, database management, graphics, statistical analysis, and geographic information systems) to prepare statistical reports, biological surveys and other related briefing material. Prepares scientifically defensible reports and articles for publication in peer-reviewed scientific literature and for presentation at professional meetings. Designs and conducts studies identifying important habitats and recommends strategies to conserve and protect habitats and populations. Analyzes the potential impacts of proposed development affecting populations and recommends appropriate mitigation when requested. Develops biological study proposals, survey designs, and scopes-of-work and conducts Complex biological field investigations involving wildlife species and habitats, including population and harvest surveys, biological sampling, population health studies, animal collecting, food habit studies, population modeling, and other wildlife monitoring activities.


  • Must be a U.S. Citizen or National.
  • Resume (See "Required Documents"). Failure to provide ALL required information on your resume will result in loss of consideration due to an incomplete application package. It is your responsibility to ensure all information is provided on resume.
  • Eligibility and Supporting documents - You will ONLY be considered for the eligibilities that you select "yes" to AND submit the required supporting documentation, as listed in the Required Documents section.
  • Suitability for employment, as determined by background investigation.
  • Driver’s License: Selectees may be required to possess and maintain a valid State driver's license at all times during their tenure.
  • Uniform: Official U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service uniform may be required.
  • Probationary Period: Selectees may be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
  • Individuals assigned male at birth after 12-31-59 must be registered for the Selective Service. To verify registration visit SSS.gov.
  • Selectee must have completed the Motorboat Operator Certification Course (MOCC) in order to operate boats.
  • Selectee must have experience operating a boat in an offshore ocean environment.
  • Selectee must have the ability to obtain and maintain a Pesticide Applicator License in the State of Maine.


Only experience and education obtained by 05/22/2024 will be considered. In order to qualify for this position you must possess both the Basic Requirement and Minimum Qualification. Basic Requirement: I have a degree in biological science that included: At least 9 semester hours in wildlife subjects as mammalogy, ornithology, animal ecology, wildlife management, or research courses in the field of wildlife biology; AND At least 12 semester hours in zoology in such subjects as general zoology, invertebrate zoology, vertebrate zoology, comparative anatomy, physiology, genetics, ecology, cellular biology, parasitology, entomology, or research courses in such subjects (Excess courses in wildlife biology may be used to meet the zoology requirements where appropriate); AND At least 9 semester hours in botany or related plant sciences. NOTE: Transcripts required. OR I have a combination of education and experience, equivalent to a major in biological science (i.e. at least 30 semester hours), with at least 9 semester hours in wildlife subjects, 12 semester hours in Zoology, and 9 semester hours in botany or related plant science, as shown in A above, PLUS appropriate experience or additional education. NOTE: Transcripts required, and Your resume must contain sufficient detail of this level of work, i.e., complete begin/end dates, hours worked per week, duties performed, etc. for each timeframe for consideration. Minimum Qualification GS-12 I have one year of full-time specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-11 grade level that equipped me with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities to perform successfully the duties of this position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. Examples of specialized experience may include: 1) Using GIS technology and statistical analyses to identify landscape level resource relationships; 2) Using software, such as ArcGIS Pro, R statistical and graphics program, or similar programs, to manage, analyze, and create graphics from spatial data; 3) Working with natural resource agencies or partner organizations to address research or monitoring needs; 4) Conducting migratory bird surveys and related habitat assessments. NOTE: Your resume must contain sufficient detail of this level of work, i.e., complete begin/end dates, hours worked per week, duties performed, etc. for each timeframe for consideration. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.


PROOF OF EDUCATION: All applicants who are using education or a combination of education and experience to qualify must submit copies of official or unofficial transcripts which include grades, credit hours earned, major(s), grade point average or class ranking, institution name, and student name. If any required coursework is not easily recognizable on transcripts, or if you believe a portion of a particular course can be credited toward meeting an educational requirement, you must also provide a memorandum on letterhead from the institution's registrar, dean, or other appropriate official stating the percentage of the course that should be considered to meet the requirement and the equivalent number of units. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable; however, if you are selected for the position, you will be required to produce the original official transcripts.

PASS/FAIL COURSES: If more than 10 percent of your undergraduate course work (credit hours) were taken on a pass/fail basis, your claim of superior academic achievement must be based upon class standing or membership in an honor society.

GRADUATE EDUCATION: One academic year of graduate education is considered to be the number of credits hours your graduate school has determined to represent one academic year of full-time study. Such study may have been performed on a full-time or part-time basis. If you cannot obtain your graduate school's definition of one year of graduate study, 18 semester hours (or 27 quarter hours) should be considered as satisfying the requirement for one year of full-time graduate study.

FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education. For further information, visit: Recognition of Foreign Qualifications | International Affairs Office (ed.gov)