Job opening: Pipefitter
Salary: $29 - 34 per hour
Published at: Feb 12 2024
Employment Type: Full-time
The incumbent is a highly qualified journeyman pipe fitter responsible for the installation, modification, testing, maintaining, repairing, inspecting, analyzing for defects, troubleshooting and elimination of malfunction in all the piping systems in the facility. These systems include the high and low pressure steam and condensate return, natural gas, medical gas, domestic and chilled water, waste and drainage, water-based fire suppression, and all auxiliary equipment.
The incumbent is a highly qualified journeyman pipe fitter responsible for the installation, modification, testing, maintaining, repairing, inspecting, analyzing for defects, troubleshooting and elimination of malfunction in all the piping systems in the facility. These systems include the high and low pressure steam and condensate return systems, natural gas, medical gas systems, domestic and chilled water systems, waste and drainage systems and water-based fire suppression systems and all auxiliary equipment.
-Incumbent maintains, modifies and repairs medical gas piping, outlets, fittings, manifolds and systems. Incumbent is certified as a medical gas installer and maintains yearly recertification.
- Incumbent installs, maintains, repairs and troubleshoots all plumbing fixtures, commercial and residential, to include toilets, urinals, sinks, lavatories, bathtub and showers, physiotherapy equipment, safety showers and eyewashes, bedpan sanitizers and digesters.
- Incumbent also installs, maintains, repairs and troubleshoots all plumbing faucets and control valves.
- Incumbent maintains, repairs, replaces and installs sanitary and storm waste lines, vent lines and all drainage lines.
- Incumbent assist other crafts and trades in diagnosing and repairing piping problems in the hospitals systems, such as with the air conditioning shop on heating ventilating and air conditioning (HVAC) and equipment to maintain proper climate control, and with the Industrial Equipment Mechanics to make repairs to dietetic and laundry equipment. Incumbent repairs, replaces and installs piping, fittings, components and auxiliary equipment on these systems.
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday, 800AM-430PM
Position Description Title/PD#: Pipefitter/PD00083A
Physical Requirements: This position requires walking, standing, bending, lifting, carrying, pushing and pulling moderately heavy (up to 50 pounds), and occasionally heavier weights with assistance. - Incumbent works from ladders, scaffolding, platforms, motorized high-lift, etc. as well as other hard to reach places, and in tiring and uncomfortable positions. - Incumbent must be in good physical condition, have good eyesight with or without glasses and cannot be colorblind.
- You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this job
- Subject to a background/suitability investigation
- Designated and/or random drug testing may be required
- May serve a probationary period
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- A complete application package; Resume, Transcripts, etc.
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
EXPERIENCE: A specific length of training and experience is not required, but you must show evidence of training or experience of sufficient scope and quality of your ability to do the work of this position. Evidence which demonstrates you possess the knowledge, skills, and ability to perform the duties of this position must be supported by detailed descriptions of such on your resume. Applicants will be rated in accordance with the OPM Federal Wage System Qualification Standards.
SCREEN-OUT ELEMENT: Your qualifications will first be evaluated against the prescribed screen out element, which usually appears as question 1 in the on-line questionnaire. Those applicants who appear to possess at least the minimal acceptable qualification requirement are considered for further rating; those who do not are rated ineligible and are eliminated. The potential eligibles are then rated against the remainder of the Job Elements:
Ability to Do the Work of the Position without More Than Normal SupervisionEquipment Assembly, Installation, RepairInterpret Instructions, Specifications (includes blueprint reading)Measurement and LayoutTechnical PracticesTroubleshootingUse and Maintain Tools and Equipment
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note: A full year of work is considered to be 35-40 hours of work per week. Part-time experience will be credited on the basis of time actually spent in appropriate activities. Applicants wishing to receive credit for such experience must indicate clearly the nature of their duties and responsibilities in each position and the number of hours a week spent in such employment.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
- Address Audie L Murphy Memorial Veterans Hospital
7400 Merton Minter Boulevard
San Antonio, TX 78229
- Name: VISN 17 SSU USAS Group
- Email: [email protected]