Job opening: Meatcutting Worker
Salary: $21 - 25 per hour
Published at: Feb 12 2024
Employment Type: Part-time
The primary purpose of a Meatcutting Worker is to Assist full performance Meatcutters by performing the simpler tasks when processing beef, pork, veal, and lamb into retail and ready-to-eat cuts for sale to patrons in a Defense Commissary Agency (DeCA) facility.
Assist journeyman meatcutters by performing the simpler tasks when processing beef, pork, veal, and lamb into retail and ready to eat cuts for sale to patrons.
Tray, wrap, weigh, and price cuts using automatic or manual wrapping machines.
Ensure correct prices by referencing price lists.
Replenish stock in display cases and rotates product to ensure wholesomeness.
Use, clean, maintain, and sharpen a variety of hand tools and power equipment.
Clean and sanitize work area to maintain required standards of cleanliness and sanitation.
Read the entire announcement before starting the application process.
- Be a U.S. citizen or national. Applicants with a Permanent Resident Card are authorized to live and work in the U.S. but are not eligible for employment in positions requiring U.S. citizenship. If selected, proof of citizenship is required.
- Meet minimum age requirement. See the Additional Information section.
- Males born after 12-31-1959 must be registered with or exempt from Selective Service.
- Appointment is subject to successful verification of identity and employment eligibility through E-Verify. Learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, at https://www.e-verify.gov/.
- Appointment is subject to a favorable suitability or fitness outcome, as determined by a completed background investigation. New federal employees will be fingerprinted.
- Be able to obtain and maintain clearance eligibility based on the appropriate background investigation.
- May be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- Direct deposit of pay is required.
- Meet the physical requirements identified in the Qualifications section.
You must meet qualifications and requirements by the closing date. Per the OPM Qualification System for Trades and Labor Occupations, how you gained the skill and/or knowledge or the length of time you have spent in this line of work is not as important as what you can do and that you have the required ability or potential to successfully perform the duties of this position. Your resume should show your specific knowledge, skill, and abilities for this position in relation to each of the elements being measured.
Examples of qualifying experience:
Working in the retail meat department traying, wrapping, and weighing meat for sale to patrons.
Cutting, trimming, and boning meat.
Using hand tools and operating powered meat cutting equipment.
You will receive credit for all relevant qualifying experience (paid and unpaid), including volunteer work done through National Service program (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social).
Physical requirements: Work requires continuous walking and standing. Work requires frequent lifting, pushing, and pulling pieces and bulk boxes of meat weighing 50 to 100 pounds. You will attest to your ability to perform these physical requirements in the Questionnaire.
As part of the online application process, you will respond to a series of questions designed to evaluate what you can do against what the work requires (job element method). This job has one critical element, called the screen-out element (SOE). The SOE addresses the critical knowledge, skill, and abilities essential to satisfactory job performance. Applicants who clearly fail to meet the lowest acceptable requirement in the SOE are rated ineligible and receive no further consideration. The job elements for this job are:
Interpret Instructions, Specifications, etc.
Hand Tool Use and Maintenance
Power Tool Use and Maintenance
Dexterity and Safety
Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA): Non Exempt
Bargaining Unit Status: Covered
Obligated Position: No
Those retired under CSRS or FERS considered: No. DoD criteria not met.
Work environment: Work in areas where the temperature ranges from minus 10 degrees to 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Cold weather clothing, protective equipment, and special clothes are provided. Subject to cuts and injuries from knives and power equipment. Danger of falling on wet, slippery floors.
Recruitment/Relocation Incentives Offered: No
Telework eligible: No
Remote work eligible: No
You may not use education to qualify for this position.
- Address Defense Commissary Agency East
1300 E Avenue
Fort Gregg-Adams, VA 22380
- Name: DeCA DE West Servicing Team
- Phone: 614-692-3917
- Email: [email protected]