Job opening: Dental Assistant
Salary: $46 020 - 59 823 per year
Published at: Jan 24 2024
Employment Type: Full-time
About the Position: This position is located at Vandenberg Air Force Base, Santa Barbra, CA.
This is a Direct Hire Solicitation.
A recruitment or relocation incentive may be authorized.
Salary negotiation may be available for those candidates who are new to Federal service.
Student Loan repayment may be authorized.
Non-Federal work experience may be creditable for leave purposes.
Perform chairside assistance in the delivery of dental treatments to include assisting in general dentistry, oral and maxillofacial surgery, prosthodontics, endodontics, periodontics, orthodontics, and pediatric dentistry.
Operate dental X-ray equipment to take intra and extra-oral radiographs.
Take impressions and bite registrations, pour impressions to make stone and plaster models, and trim models as necessary.
Measure and record blood pressure, pulse, and other vital signs as required.
Assist the dentist in the delivery of dental care utilizing four-handed dentistry techniques.
Assemble, retrieve, maintain, and reviews dental health records.
Maintain dental equipment in a clean and operative condition.
Relay dentist's instructions to patient for post-treatment care.
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- A Personnel Security Investigation is required.
- A one-year probationary period is required if the selectee has not previously met this requirement.
- Selectees will be required to sign a statement (Condition of Employment) consenting to seasonal influenza vaccinations or must provide a recognized exemption.
- This position is a Testing Designated Position subject to pre-employment screening and random drug testing. Selectees will be required to consent to participation in random drug urinalysis testing.
- Immunization screening is required. Hepatitis B immunization is required for all positions with direct patient contact. Applicants may be required to show proof of other immunizations depending on the type of position.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification through the American Red Cross or American Heart Association. Advanced certification (e.g., ALS) does not supersede BLS.
Who May Apply: US Citizens
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Basic Requirement for Dental Assistant:
Radiology Certification: Public Law 97-35 requires that persons who administer radiologic procedures meet the credentialing standards in 42 CFR Part 75. Essentially, they must(1) have successfully completed an educational program that meets or exceeds the standards described in that regulation, and is accredited by an organization recognized by the Department of Education, and (2) be certified as radiographers in their field. The following meet these requirements:
(1) Persons employed by the Federal Government as radiologic personnel prior to the effective date of the regulation (January 13, 1986) who show evidence of current or fully satisfactory performance or certification of such from a licensed practitioner such as a doctor of medicine, osteopathy, dentistry, podiatry, or chiropractic who prescribes radiologic procedures to others.
(2) Persons first employed by the Federal Government as radiologic personnel after the effective date of the regulation who (a) received training from institutions in a State or foreign jurisdiction that did not accredit training in that particular field at the time of graduation, or (b) practiced in a State or foreign jurisdiction that did not license that particular field or did not allow special eligibility to take a licensure examination for those who did not graduate from an accredited educational program, provided such persons show evidence of training, experience, and competence, as determined by OPM or the employing agency.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualification requirements listed below:
Experience required: To qualify based on your experience, your resume must describe at least one year of experience which prepared you to do the work in this job. Specialized experience is defined as: providing chair side assistance supporting a dental specialist by performing intra-oral procedures, operating dental x-ray equipment and charting or taking preliminary impressions. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-04).
Education: Successful completion of a full four-year course of study in a dental assistant or dental hygiene program that included at least 24 semester hours of courses in radiation physics; radiation biology; radiation health, safety, and protection; X-ray films and radiographic film quality, radiographic techniques; darkroom and processing techniques; and film mounting.
Combination of Education and Experience: A combination of education and experience may be used to qualify for this position as long as the computed percentage of the requirements is at least 100%. To compute the percentage of the requirements, divide your total months of experience by 12. Then divide your semester hours of education beyond two years (total semester hours minus 60) by 60. Add the two percentages.
If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: https://sites.ed.gov/international/recognition-of-foreign-qualifications
- Address JT-DHA-DD83AP DHA STAND-ALONE MKT-VANDENBERG AFB
DO NOT MAIL
Vandenberg AFB, CA 93437
- Name: Army Applicant Help Desk