Job opening: FIRE PROTECTION INSPECTOR
Salary: $60 608 - 78 789 per year
Published at: Jan 24 2024
Employment Type: Full-time
You will serve as a Fire Protection Inspector in the Fire and Emergency Services of in the Fire & Emergency Services division of NAVSTA GREAT LAKES IL.
You will analyze the structural condition of a building to determine firefighting equipment and apparatus required to fight fire.
You will inspect new construction for inclusion of fire prevention materials or equipment.
You will explain work requirements to fire inspectors and other employees related to new or changed procedures.
You will prepare inspection reports to document findings of fire safety deficiencies.
You will implement a risk management plan in accordance with fire and emergency regulations.
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Must be determined suitable for federal employment.
- Must participate in the direct deposit pay program.
- New employees to the Department of the Navy will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit e-verify.gov
- Generally, current federal employees applying for GS jobs must serve at least one year at the next lower grade level. This requirement is called time-in-grade. Time-in-grade requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
- Applicants must meet the Department of Defense (DoD) certification requirements: www.esd.whs.mil/Portals/54/Documents/DD/issuances/dodm/605506m.pdf
- Candidates for firefighter positions must not have reached their 37th birthday by date of appointment. Information on exceptions and waivers: http://www.esd.whs.mil/Portals/54/Documents/DD/issuances/140025/140025_vol336.pdf?ver=2017-12-01-105458-707
- You will be required to successfully complete a pre-appointment physical examination.
- Within the Department of Defense (DoD), the appointment of retired military members within 180 days immediately following retirement date to a civilian position is subject to the provisions of 5 United States Code 3326.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service.
- This is a bargaining unit position.
- You will be required to obtain and maintain a current valid United States driver's license.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment drug test (including marijuana) is required. A tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if you fail to report to the drug test appointment or fail the test. You will be subject to random testing.
- You will be required to obtain and maintain an interim and/or final security clearance prior to entrance on duty. Failure to obtain and maintain the required level of clearance may result in the withdrawal of a job offer or removal.
- This position may require travel from normal duty station to CONUS and OCONUS and may include remote or isolated sites. You must be able to travel on military and commercial aircraft for extended periods of time.
- This is a Mission Essential position. You will be required to ensure organization or facility continuity of operations and/or completion of tasks that are considered essential to the mission designated by a local or command decision.
Your resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-07 grade level or pay band in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private or public sector. Specialized experience must demonstrate the following: 1) Interpreting and applying national, and local fire codes, standards, regulations, and instructions when detecting and eliminating fire and life safety hazards; 2) Analyzing and selecting applicable code(s) or standard(s) relevant to particular types of facilities, construction, and hazards when determining compliance; 3) Communicating fire and life safety information at training and public events; 4) Writing reports, case notes, briefings, instructions and regulations, and correspondence; and 5) Conducting post fire investigation determining cause and origination.
***CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS*** This position requires the incumbent to possess the following certifications: HAZMAT Awareness, Fire Inspector I, Fire Inspector II, Fire Instructor I, CPR American Heart Association Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers, and First Aid. If you do not possess all of the above certifications, and provide verification with your application, you will be rated ineligible.
Additional qualification information can be found from the following Office of Personnel Management website:
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
- Address NAVSTA GREAT LAKES IL
2601 Paul Jones Street
Bldg 1 Rm B36
Great Lakes, IL 60088-2845
- Name: Department of Navy EIC
- Email: [email protected]