Job opening: Maintenance Worker
Salary: $23 - 27 per hour
Published at: Jan 23 2024
Employment Type: Full-time
These positions are located in various locations within the Montana/Dakotas BLM. Information about each location and the surrounding area can be found by checking the chamber of commerce web site for each city.
We expect to fill one or more vacancies in each location at this time; however, if needed, other locations within the Montana/Dakotas State, District or Field offices may be considered based on need and management discretion.
Conducts routine annual maintenance of recreation and administrative sites including cleaning of recreation facilities, making routine ongoing repairs to recreation facilities, and performing routine site landscaping work.
Performs corrective maintenance for buildings and facilities (HVAC, carpentry, painting),reporting additional needed actions to supervisors.
Assists with construction and installation of facilities at recreation sites (e.g., construction of group shelters and toilet structures, picnic and camping facilities, and trailheads and parking areas).
Operates various types of equipment in performing on-site construction and maintenance(e.g., 4x4 pickups, medium-sized forklift s, skid-steers, and tractors with attachments).
May provide assistance to higher grade staff for the maintenance and operation of public drinking water systems and solar systems at administrative and recreation sites.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Be sure to read the How to Apply and Required Documents Sections.
- You cannot hold an active real estate license: nor can you have an interest or hold stocks in firms with interest in Federal Lands.
- Direct Deposit Required.
- Appointment will be subject to a favorably adjudicated background/suitability investigation/determination.
- Your resume must contain enough information to show that you meet the qualification requirements as defined in the announcement. In addition, your responses to the questions must adequately reflect in your resume.
- An applicant appointed to this position must possess and maintain a valid state driver's license while employed in this position.
- You must be 18 years of age prior to entrance on duty in order to be authorized to operate a government vehicle as required for field work.
- NO GOVERNMENT HOUSING IS AVAILABLE. Securing housing will be the responsibility of the selected employee.
Selective Placement Factors: This position requires a special qualification that has been determined to be essential to perform the duties and will be used as a screen out element. Those who do not provide evidence they possess the following selective factor(s) will be rated not qualified:
Screen-out Element: Ability to do the work of the position without more than normal supervision.
OPM Job Qualifications System for Trades and Labor Occupations will be used in determining your qualifications. There is no specific length of training or experience required; however, you must be able to demonstrate through experience shown in the resume materials, that you possess the skill level that has equipped you with the particular job elements to successfully perform the duties of Maintenance Worker without more than normal supervision.
Qualifications will be determined based on your ability, experience and/or training inthefollowing job elements:
1. Knowledge of Equipment Assembly, Installation, Repair, etc.
2. Technical Practices (theoretical, precise, artistic)
3. Use of Measuring Instruments
4. Ability to Interpret Instructions, Specifications, etc. (includes blueprinting reading)
5. Ability to Use and Maintain Tools and Equipment
6. Knowledge of Materials
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
You must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of the announcement.
Physical Demands: The incumbent must have good vision, reaction reflexes and depth perception. Physical demands require coordination for hand, eye and body. Physical effort must be exerted in actions such as lifting (10-100 pounds), pushing, pulling, carrying objects or various weights, sizes and shapes, walking, climbing, crawling and bending.
Work Environment: The nature of the incumbents work could expose the incumbent to conditions that range from comfortable to hazardous.
Temperature: Outdoor work will range from 100 degrees in summer to -30 degrees in winter months.
Noxious Fumes: Interior and exterior painting and related work could result in exposure to fumes and gases for prolonged periods. Persons working as noxious weed sprayers will be exposed to and handling chemical compounds which could be hazardous if appropriate precautions are not used.
Dust, Grease and Mud: Vehicle, equipment operation, maintenance and project construction could expose incumbent to excessively muddy, greasy and dusty conditions at times.
Power Tools: Maintenance work could necessitate the use of power tools which could expose the incumbent to related hazards.
This position does not have an education qualification requirement.
- Address BLM Montana State Office
BLM Montana State Office, MT-933
Branch of Human Resources
5001 Southgate Drive
Billings, MT 59101
- Name: Linda Roberts
- Phone: (406) 896-5251
- Email: [email protected]