Job opening: FREIGHT RATE SPECIALIST
Salary: $65 269 - 84 848 per year
Published at: Jan 03 2024
Employment Type: Full-time
Click on "Learn more about this agency" button below to view Eligibilities being considered and other IMPORTANT information.
The primary purpose of this position is to serve as a fully knowledgeable highly efficient Transportation Booking/Rate expert performing assignments as directed by management and consistent with the polices of the wing Transportation Officer.
Perform a full range of shipment planning and coordination to meet the timely and efficient movement of freight entering the Defense Transportation System (DTS).
Determines freight classifications, responsible for organizing and coordinating outbound and periodical inbound shipments.
Conducts pre- and post-audits and maintains shipping documentation.
Completes, reviews, checks all shipping documentation for accuracy, and provides customer service.
Active participant in mobility exercises, real world deployments and air freight operations.
- U.S. Citizenship Required
- Males must be registered for Selective Service, see www.sss.gov
- If authorized, PCS will be paid IAW JTR and AF Regulations. If receiving an authorized PCS, you may be subject to completing/signing a CONUS agreement. More information on PCS requirements, may be found at: https://afciviliancareers.com/regulatory/
- This position is subject to provisions of the DoD Priority Placement Program
- Disclosure of Political Appointments
- Work may occasionally require travel away from the normal duty station on military or commercial aircraft.
- An appropriate valid driver’s license is required to operate forklifts and trucks up to a two in a half ton in size.
- Incumbent may occasionally be required to work other than normal duty hours during mobility exercises, actual contingency operations and under domestic emergencies. Perform other related duties as required.
- Required to be or become certified and to maintain certification on the shipment of hazardous cargo shipments.
- Employee must have or be capable of obtaining security clearances for handling up to Secret material/cargo.
- This is a drug testing designated position (TDP). The incumbent is subject to random testing for drug use.
- Must have or be able to obtain motor vehicle operator license for material handling equipment (forklift).
- May be required to participate in contingency situations, real world and exercise, as directed.
- Must obtain and maintain a Secret Security Clearance.
In order to qualify, you must meet the experience requirements described in the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualification Standards for General Schedule Clerical and Administrative Support Positions for Freight Rate Series, 2131.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Applicants must have at least one (1) year of specialized experience at the next lower grade GS-08, or equivalent in other pay systems. Examples of specialized experience includes comprehensive knowledge of traffic management policies, procedures, regulations, and precedents and other Air Force (AF) and installation guides, which apply to cargo movement programs. In depth knowledge of the rules, principles, concepts, and procedures affecting the documentation, clearance and movement of military cargo via all military and commercial air and surface transportation modes worldwide. Knowledge of the transportation interface with supply, maintenance, budgeting, and other organizational structure of the various Mission Support Group (MSG) activities involved in logistics system developments impacting transportation required.
FEDERAL TIME-IN-GRADE (TIG) REQUIREMENT FOR GENERAL SCHEDULE (GS) POSITIONS: Merit promotion applicants must meet applicable time-in-grade requirements to be considered eligible. One year at the GS-08 level is required to meet the time-in-grade requirements for the GS-09 level. TIG applies if you are in a current GS position or held a GS position within the previous 52 weeks. NOTE: Applicants applying as VEOA candidates who are current GS civil service employees or are prior GS civil service employees within the past 52 weeks must also meet time-in-grade requirements.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs): Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
Knowledge of safety and security standards, route orders, and classification rating guides.
Knowledge of a wide range of commercial tariffs and tenders to properly rate freight shipments.
Knowledge of transportation regulations, instructions, manuals, methods, and techniques relating to the movement of freight in order to affectively arrange shipment of various commodities.
Knowledge of computer functions and programs.
Ability to interpret and apply instructions.
Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing. Ability to operate power tools, machinery and material handling equipment.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
- Address Minneapolis-St Paul ARS
760 Military Highway
Minneapolis, MN 55450
- Name: Total Force Service Center
- Phone: 1-800-525-0102
- Email: [email protected]