Job opening: TRAINING AND CURRICULUM SPECIALIST
Salary: $57 118 - 74 250 per year
Published at: Dec 07 2023
Employment Type: Full-time
Click on "Learn more about this agency" button below to view Eligibilities being considered and other IMPORTANT information.
The primary purpose of this position is to serve as the early childhood education specialist for all child care programs including child development centers, preschools, family child care, school-age, special needs programs, volunteer, hourly care programs, food service, and custodial.
Oversees development of appropriate curricula for child development centers, preschools, family child care programs, school age, and other unique children's programs.
Initiates, designs, develops, arranges for, conducts, and oversees training in early childhood development and related activities for all child development center staff, family child care program staff and providers, preschool and school-age program staff, volunteers, hourly care staff, management, administrative staff, custodial employees, food service staff, and staff working in any unique settings for children.
Identifies children who may have special needs.
Develops plans to improve overall operations, corrects identified deficiencies, and enhances developmental programs and services.
- U.S. Citizenship Required.
- Males must be registered for Selective Service, see www.sss.gov
- If authorized, PCS will be paid IAW JTR and AF Regulations. If receiving an authorized PCS, you may be subject to completing/signing a CONUS agreement. More information on PCS requirements, may be found at: https://afciviliancareers.com/regulatory/
- Full/part-time employees occupying direct childcare positions are eligible for discounts IAW DAF AFSVC/CC Memo, 30 Sep 22; first child 100% / each additional child 25%. Other assigned CYP and FCC personnel are eligible for 25% discount.
- Advance in hire may be authorized if there is demonstrable proof provided on your resume.
- This posn is subject to provisions of the DoD Priority Placement Program.
- Disclosure of Political Appointments.
- Each Training and Curriculum Specialist may be required to achieve accreditation through the National Academy of Early Childhood Programs.
- Must complete additional training requirements including Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and First Aid and remain current during time of employment.
- May occasionally be required to work other than normal duty hours.
- The work may require the employee to drive a motor vehicle to visit Family Child Care homes. An appropriate, valid driver's license may be required for the position.
- This position has the ultimate responsibility for programs meeting the National Academy of Early Childhood Programs (NAECP) accreditation criteria and DoD Child Development Program Certificate standards.
- This is a Mission-Essential position performing a Mission-Critical-Function which must continue uninterrupted after the occurrence of an emergency and continued through full resumption of all functions.
- This position has been identified as having "regular contact with children." In accordance with (IAW) Public Law 101-647 Section 231, and Public Law 102-190, Section 1094. (Cont'd)
- (Cont'd) A FBI fingerprint and State Criminal History Repository (SCHR) Check will be completed on any person selected for this position.
In order to qualify, you must meet the specialized experience requirements described in the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualification Standards for General Schedule Positions, Professional and Scientific Positions to include the Individual Occupational Requirements (IOR) for the GS-1701, General Education and Training Series.
BASIC REQUIREMENT OR INDIVIDUAL OCCUPATIONAL REQUIREMENT: Applicants must have a Degree: that included or was supplemented by major study in Child Development or Early Childhood Education. NOTE: You MUST submit a copy of your transcripts.
COMBINATION OF EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: -- Courses equivalent to a major in Child Development or Early Childhood education, plus appropriate experience or additional course work that provided knowledge comparable to that normally acquired through the successful completion of the 4-year course of study described above. NOTE: You MUST submit a copy of your transcripts.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualification requirements listed below:
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Applicants must have at least one (1) year of specialized experience at the next lower grade GS-07, or equivalent in other pay systems. Examples of specialized experience includes, (1) Knowledge of professional principles, theories, concepts, and practices of early childhood development encompassing infant through school-age youth to provide training to the child development center staff members; (2) Knowledge of professional childhood development principles, concepts, methods, and techniques to select, develop, and implement curriculum; (3) Skill in developing curricula covering physical, emotional, social, and cognitive development to identify children with special needs and to ensure those needs are accommodated; (4) Ability to perform inspections to enforce policies and regulations to ensure the adequacy of child care.
EDUCATION: Applicants must have successfully completed two (2) years of progressively higher-level graduate education leading to a master's degree or master's or equivalent graduate degree in Child Development or Early Childhood Education. NOTE: You MUST submit a copy of your transcripts.
COMBINATION OF EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION: A combination of education and experience may be used to qualify for this position as long as the computed percentage of the requirements is at least 100%. NOTE: You MUST submit a copy of your transcripts.
FEDERAL TIME-IN-GRADE (TIG) REQUIREMENT FOR GENERAL SCHEDULE (GS) POSITIONS: Merit promotion applicants must meet applicable time-in-grade requirements to be considered eligible. One year at the GS-07 level is required to meet the time-in-grade requirements for the GS-09 level. TIG applies if you are in a current GS position or held a GS position within the previous 52 weeks. NOTE: Applicants applying as VEOA candidates who are current GS civil service employees or are prior GS civil service employees within the past 52 weeks must also meet time-in-grade requirements.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs): Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
1. Knowledge of the principles, theories, concepts, and practices of early childhood development encompassing infant through school age youth and child development theory, methodology, and practices.
2. Knowledge of child care regulation requirements and policies.
3. Skill in developing curricula which supports physical, emotional, social, cognitive development, and identifying children with special needs.
4. Skill in developing, adapting, and providing training to staff members, family child care providers, and parents as well as food service and custodial staff.
5. Skill in the administration and interpretation of the environmental, program, and child abuse probability assessments.
6. Ability to communicate, both orally and in writing.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
IF USING EDUCATION TO QUALIFY:
If position has a positive degree requirement or education forms the basis for qualifications, you MUST
submit transcripts with the application. Official transcripts are not required at the time of application; however, if position has a positive degree requirement, qualifying based on education alone or in combination with experience, transcripts must be verified prior to appointment. An accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education must accredit education. Click here
to check accreditation.
Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying.
- Address Hurlburt Field
212 Lukasik Avenue
Hurlburt Field, FL 32544
- Name: Total Force Service Center
- Phone: 1-800-525-0102
- Email: [email protected]