Job opening: TITLE 32 HEAVY MOBILE EQUIPMENT MECHANIC WG-5803-10
Salary: $29 - 33 per hour
Published at: Dec 07 2023
Employment Type: Full-time
THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 32 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION.
The National Guard is the oldest component of the Armed Forces of the United States. Since the earliest American colonial days, citizens have joined together for collective defense. We have a proud tradition of coming to the aid of our friends and neighbors in times of serious emergencies. Join our National Guard team and serve your nation, your states and your community!
Position Description #D2431000
This position is located in the Air National Guard, Logistics Readiness Squadron, Vehicle Management Flight.Its purpose is to maintain, troubleshoot, overhaul, repair, modify, and inspect heavy mobile equipment, various support equipment, and special purpose vehicles such as; fuel dispensing trucks, refueling equipment, crash/structural firefighting equipment and pump trucks, forklifts, materiel handling, aircraft cargo loaders, aircraft and equipment tow tractors, large runway snow removal vehicles, aircraft de-icing equipment, sweepers, bulldozers, mobile cranes, road graders, heavy construction and earth moving vehicles, backhoes, front end loaders, excavators, trenchers, and tactical/armored protected vehicles. The equipment may be commercial or military designed with diesel, gasoline, electric, hybrid electric, or other alternative fuel power and may have multiple engines. The work requires knowledge of how heavy duty machinery, engines, parts, and systems work; ability to detect faulty items, determine causes of malfunction, and determine best repair methods; and skill to assemble, disassemble, repair, rebuild or modify components and a variety of interconnected systems. Repairs include; integrated electrical, electronics, air, fuel, and hydraulic systems; complex state-of-the-art electrical and electronic systems requiring specialized scan/diagnostic equipment to identify malfunctions or to determine replacement of standard and computer controlled components.
Description of Duties:
1. Repairs, adjust, overhauls, performs major repairs, and maintenance on military and commercial designed heavy mobile equipment and special purpose vehicles. Inspects repairs, overhauls and tests major systems including gasoline, diesel, electric powered hybrid, multi-fuel, turbine, and other types of internal combustion engines, which may be turbo-charged or blower assisted, automatic or manual transmissions, including those with power take offs, cross-drive transmissions, hydraulic, electric, pneumatic systems and controls, fluid pumping systems, turrets, winches and four wheel steering systems. Systematically analyzes malfunctions and the cause of mechanical failure by means of visual and auditory checks, uses computer-controlled test equipment, engine analyzers, compression testers, voltmeters, ohmmeters and pressure gauges in order to determine the exact nature of extent of repairs or adjustments necessary to complete work. Use specialized diagnostic equipment to troubleshoot problems in complex state-of-the-art electric and electronic systems to identify and replace defective components such as computer control modules, sensors, solenoids, digitized components, and circuits.(45%)
2. Performs body repair and corrosion control, refinishes and repaints surfaces as required. Repairs and/or replaces body parts, locks, glass, etc. and determines if additional repairs are required. Repairs may be accomplished by using welding equipment, power tools, hand tools and other specialized equipment. Cleans, tests, and repairs radiators/oil coolers and associated parts. Test, services, and repairs vehicle air conditioning systems following manufacturers and environmental guidelines. Replaces or repairs tires, tubes and balances wheel assemblies. (15%)
3. Prepares, maintains and submits applicable maintenance work orders for man-hour and data collection accounting, to include completing forms to reflect work performed or delayed and parts and maintenance required. Assists in establishing and maintaining adequate shop stock, special levels parts, and appropriate shop support equipment and tools. Inspect, maintains, and operates all appropriate shop equipment. Researches and assists in requisitioning materials, parts and equipment necessary to perform the vehicle maintenance/management mission. Assists in review and updating maintenance technical orders, shop operating instructions, commercial publications, MAJCOM and local publications, as well as other pertinent directives. Provides expert support to the Customer Service Center to various unit members. (20%)
4. Participates as OJT Instructor in the vehicle maintenance area. Conducts instructional classes on methods and procedures of operation and maintenance concerning all aspects of vehicle repairs and assigned shop maintenance support equipment. Evaluates effectiveness of instruction, documents and maintains individual /section training and qualification records. (15%)
5. Assists in conducting the local occupational safety and health training program, to include compliance with directives and procedures for proper disposal of hazardous waste products within the functional area. Fully comprehends and complies with federal, state and local environmental laws and the requirements in Air Force Occupational, Safety and Health Standard (AFOSHSTD). (5%)
Performs other duties as assigned.
- NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED. If you are not sure you are eligible for military membership, please contact a National Guard recruiter prior to applying for this position.
- This is an excepted service position that requires membership in military assignment in WV's National Guard, and is required prior to the effective date of placement.
- Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform.
- Acceptance of an excepted service position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment.
- Male applicants born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered, or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency.
- Federal employment suitability as determined by a background investigation.
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
- Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Required to obtain and maintain a satisfactory security clearance, AND, as a minimum, a completed National Agency
Check (NAC) prior to assignment.
- The agency will provide additional information regarding what information or documentation will be needed and how you can request of the agency a legally required exception from this requirement.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate security clearance of the position.
- This position is covered by the Domestic Violence Misdemeanor Amendment (30 Sep 96) of the Gun Control Act (Lautenberg Amendment) of 1968. An individual convicted of a qualifying crime of domestic violence may not perform the duties of this position.
- Ability to establish effective professional working relationships with coworkers and customers, contributing to a cooperative working environment and successful accomplishment of the mission.
- Irregular and/or overtime (compensatory) hours may be required to support operational requirements or contingencies or may be required to work hours outside of the normal duty day.
- The duties and responsibilities of your job may significantly impact the environment. You are responsible to maintain awareness of your environmental responsibilities as dictated by legal and regulatory requirements in your organization.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a state driver’s license.
MINIMUM MILITARY GRADE: E-3 MAXIMUM MILITARY GRADE: E-5
Your rank MUST be included somewhere within your resume.
You must fully substantiate in your own words that you meet the requirements listed below. When explaining minimum requirements and specialized experience you must give examples. Do not copy from the vacancy announcement or the position description. Explain it in your own words and give examples to be considered for this vacancy.
All personnel applying for this position who do not meet the minimum military grade requirement MUST provide the proper signed memorandum from your respective Military Personnel Office (MILPO for ARNG, FSS for ANG) to prove eligibility to obtain the required grade upon accepting the position. All personnel who exceed the maximum military rank must provide a memorandum explaining if selected for this position, you will accept an administrative reduction in rank. The memorandum must be submitted WITH your application to be considered for this position.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: Experience or training that has provided the candidate with the skill to make repairs or the ability to
assist with repairs that can be accomplished by removing, adjusting, or replacing defective or worn parts.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Must have 18 months experience or training diagnosing, repairing, overhauling, and modifying more complex vehicles, equipment, and more complicated systems. Experience which has provided a thorough knowledge of diagnostic equipment. Experience applying independent judgment in determining methods and techniques required to solve unusually complex maintenance and repair problems. Experience in testing, inspecting, and evaluating the work performed on heavy mobile vehicles, equipment and systems.
There are no educational requirements for this position.
- Address WV 130th AW
1679 Coonskin Drive
Charleston, WV 25311
- Name: Glen Darby
- Phone: (304) 341-6223
- Email: [email protected]