Job opening: Supervisory Firefighter
Salary: $57 118 - 74 250 per year
Published at: Nov 20 2023
Employment Type: Full-time
About the Position: Red River Army Depot (RRAD) is located in northeast Texas, 19 miles west of Texarkana and approximately 170 miles northeast of Dallas. RRAD is near the corners of 4 states - Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma and Texas. The depot's enormous maintenance mission includes the repair, rebuild, overhaul and conversion of tactical wheeled vehicles. For more information on Red River Army Depot, go to the following web site: www.redriver.army.mil
Serve as a Captain responsible for oversight and direction of the day-to-day operations of a fire station for an assigned shift at an Army installation.
Respond to emergencies working from specific or general orders from higher level supervisors directing assigned personnel in firefighting activities, search and rescue, HAZMAT incidents, crash/rescue operations and medical emergencies.
Direct and participate in practices, training classes, and on-the-job training for assigned crew members, post personnel or others as directed.
Plan work schedules and sequence of operations to ensure the meeting of scheduled and priority assignments that the higher level supervisor establishes.
Provide employees direct administrative and technical guidance on work requirements and procedures.
Perform established personnel administration duties.
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- This position requires the completion of pre-employment and periodic subsequent medical examination in accordance with DoDM 6055.06 to ensure continued, required level of physical health and ability or fitness to perform the duties of the position.
- This position has a requirement to lift up to 45 lbs. in the regular performance of duties.
- The duties of this position meet the criteria for compliance with Federal and Department of the Army Drug Free Workplace Programs. Detection of the presence of drugs is warranted.
- This position is subject to a pre-employment screening, and random testing thereafter, to include testing based on reasonable suspicion and testing due to direct involvement with an on-duty accident.
- This position has been designated Mission Essential. In the event of severe weather conditions or other such emergency type situations the incumbent is required to report to work or remain at work as scheduled to support mission operations.
- This position requires the employee to use personal protective equipment provided by the employer.
- This position requires the incumbent to wear the prescribed uniform and/or personal protective equipment while on duty.
- This position requires shift work to provide coverage on evenings, weekends, holidays, or special situations. Employee shifts are rotated on a regularly scheduled basis. This position is subject to 24-hour recall back to duty.
- Due to the nature of this position, employees are required to work both planned and unscheduled overtime. This position performs, as required, mutual aid support to local fire departments.
- The duties of this position require the incumbent to possess or obtain and maintain a valid state Driver's License in one of the 50 U.S. states or possessions to operate vehicles. (Note: You must attach a copy of your DL for age verification.)
- Appointment to this position is subject to a one year probationary period unless the appointee has previously met the requirements as described in 5 CFR Part 315. While probationary the incumbent can be terminated with limited appeal rights.
- This position is supervisory as defined by the Office of Personnel Management's (OPM) General Schedule Supervisory Guide (GSSG). A one year probation to assess your ability to perform supervisory duties is required unless previously completed.
- This position is an Inclement Weather Essential position.
- The work situations is characterized by complex and highly hazardous firefighting and EMS Operations. Hazards of the of the job include (1) the possibility of burns and other effects of but, smoke inhalation, falling materials, explosion;
- (2) exposure to toxic materials, (3) dealing with victims of fire in varying stages of fright and panic; (4) operating or riding emergency fire vehicles under adverse conditions in congested areas.
- This position requires to work 72 hours per week (144 hours bi-weekly) tour of duty.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain appropriate security clearance for access to Depot Production Computer System.
- This position requires a successfully completion of the Civilian Education System Course and the Supervisory Development Course within 12 months in the position.
- The duties of this position require the incumbent to possess or obtain and maintain a valid US Government motor vehicle operator's license.
More Conditions of Employment:
This position has a Temporary Duty (TDY) or business travel requirement of 10% of the time.
Must participate in the Fire Division's Fitness and Wellness Program, IAW NFPA 1583 Standard on Health-Related Fitness Programs for Fire Fighters and DoDI 6055.6 Fitness and Wellness.
This position requires National Registry Emergency Medical Technician (NREMT) certification or a State Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certification in the U.S.(Note: You must attach a copy of your certification for verification.)
This position requires Fire Officer II, Fire Instructor II, Fire Inspector II, and Hazmat Incident Command (IC) certifications in accordance with DoD 6055.06-M. (Note: You must attach a copy of your certification for verification.)
This position requires American Heart Association or American Red Cross Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Certification (CPR) certification. (Note: You must attach a copy of your certification for verification.)
This position is included under the provisions of Special Retirement Coverage (SRC) and may have both a maximum entry age and a mandatory retirement date. For more information follow this link: https://acpol2.army.mil/chra_dodea/FF_2nd_SRC.pdf
Who May Apply: Only applicants who meet one of the employment authority categories below are eligible to apply for this job. You will be asked to identify which category or categories you meet, and to provide documents which prove you meet the category or categories you selected. See Proof of Eligibility for an extensive list of document requirements for all employment authorities.
Current Department of Army Civilian EmployeesCurrent Department of Defense (DOD) Civilian Employee (non-Army)Domestic Defense Industrial Base/Major Range and Test Facilities Base Civilian Personnel WorkforceInteragency Career Transition Assistance PlanLand Management Workforce Flexibility ActMilitary Spouses, under Executive Order (E.O.) 13473Non-Department of Defense (DoD) TransferPriority Placement Program, DoD Military Reserve (MR) and National Guard (NG) Technician EligiblePriority Placement Program, DoD Military Spouse Preference (MSP) EligiblePriority Placement Program, DoD MR and NG Preference Eligible Tech Receiving Disability RetirementPriority Placement Program, DoD Retained Grade Preference EligibleVeterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA) of 1998
In order to qualify, you must meet the experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience.
Specialized Experience: I am an INSERVICE applicant and I have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-07 grade level in the Federal service which includes 1) leading other firefighters during emergency and rescue operations; 2) rescue operations; and 3) developing, implementing, or providing training in fire protection and prevention; OR I am an OUSTIDE applicant and I have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-08 grade level in the Federal service which includes 1) leading other firefighters during emergency and rescue operations; 2) rescue operations; and 3) developing, implementing, or providing training in fire protection and prevention. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-07 or GS-08).
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone -- no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
Required Certifications: In addition to meeting the specialized experience requirement above, applicants must also possess American Heart Association and Red Cross First Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Certification (CPR), Fire Officer II, Fire Instructor II, Fire Inspector II, and HAZMAT Incident Commander certified through DoD Fire and Emergency Services Certification System, International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC), or the Fire Service Professional Qualifications System (PRO-Board) in accordance with DoD 6055.06-M AND a State or National Registry EMT Certification Card indicating a future expiration date when applicable.
DoD and State or National Registry EMT Certificates: You MUST submit a copy of the following: American Heart Association and Red Cross Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Certification (CPR) , Fire Officer II, Fire Instructor II, Fire Inspector II, and HAZMAT Incident Commander certified through DoD Fire and Emergency Services Certification System, International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC), or the Fire Service Professional Qualifications System (PRO-Board) AND a State or National Registry EMT Certification Card indicating a future expiration date when applicable. If your application package does not contain proof of having these certificates, your application will be marked as incomplete and you WILL NOT receive consideration for this position. NOTE: Rather than submitting individual DoD certificates, you may opt to use the DoD Lookup System website (http://www.dodffcert.com/), and then save and upload your one/two page individual report. Rather than submitting your EMT Certification Card, you may print proof of current registration with NREMT from their website (https://www.nremt.org/nremt/about/checkEmtStatus.asp).
Proof of Age: As this is a Special Retirement Code (SRC) position, your application package MUST include a government issued document (Driver License) indicating your date of birth. Failure to submit this document will result in your application being marked as incomplete and you WILL NOT receive further consideration for this position.
Selective Placement Factor: This position has selective placement factor which must be met prior to employment and for continued employment.
Maximum Entry Age (MEA): The MEA for Firefighters is 37. Applicants not appointed by the last day of the month in which that individual reaches their 37th birthday shall not be appointed or assigned to these positions.
Maximum Re-entry Age: An employee who previously served on a covered position may be rehired past the MEA as long as he/she is able to complete 20 years of covered service by his/her mandatory retirement age. The maximum re-entry age for the individual is calculated by determining the total amount of time he/she has served on a covered position and subtracting that from age 57, if a firefighter. The employee's current age is compared to the calculated maximum re-entry age to determine if he/she can be rehired into the covered position.
Waivers to Maximum Entry Age: MEA may be waived, but only under specific circumstances and only if approved by the authorized entity: Waivers to MEA for firefighters must be approved by local Command.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:
Emergency ResponseHazardous Materials ResponseManaging Human ResourcesPreventative Maintenance
Time in Grade Requirement: Applicants who have held a General Schedule (GS) position within the last 52 weeks must have 52 weeks of Federal service at the next lower grade or equivalent (GS-07 or GS-08).
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
- Address GM-W0MCAA US ARMY TACOM RED RIVER ARMY DEPOT
DO NOT MAIL
Texarkana, TX 75507
- Name: Army Applicant Help Desk