Job opening: AIRFIELD SPECIALIST
Salary: $57 118 - 74 250 per year
Published at: Sep 22 2023
Employment Type: Full-time
You will serve as a AIRFIELD SPECIALIST in the AIR OPERATIONS DEPARTMENT of NAVAL AIR STATION.
You will perform daily airfield inspections, coordinate correction of discrepancies with NAVFAC, and advise the AFM when to open or close airfields based on the status of the facilities.
You will work with USDA wildlife biologists and participate in the Bird/Animal Aircraft Strike Hazard (BASH) program.
You will coordinate and relay information regarding VIP/DV aircraft movements, weather and airfield conditions.
You will take action on messages pertaining to flight advisories, VIP/DV itineraries, NOTAMS, and issues Prior Permission Required (PPR) numbers to transient aircrews.
You will execute the duties and requirements of the Air Operations Duty Desk to include dispatch functions, schedule coordination, and operational communications.
You will ensure daily airfield inspections are conducted by all divisions and logged prior to the start of aircraft operations.
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Must be determined suitable for federal employment.
- Must participate in the direct deposit pay program.
- New employees to the Department of the Navy will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit e-verify.gov
- Generally, current federal employees applying for GS jobs must serve at least one year at the next lower grade level. This requirement is called time-in-grade. Time-in-grade requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
- Within the Department of Defense (DoD), the appointment of retired military members within 180 days immediately following retirement date to a civilian position is subject to the provisions of 5 United States Code 3326.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service.
- This is a bargaining unit position.
- You will be required to successfully complete a pre-appointment physical examination.
- You will be required to obtain and maintain an interim and/or final security clearance prior to entrance on duty. Failure to obtain and maintain the required level of clearance may result in the withdrawal of a job offer or removal.
- This position may require travel from normal duty station to CONUS and OCONUS and may include remote or isolated sites. You must be able to travel on military and commercial aircraft for extended periods of time.
- This position is considered Key/Emergency-Essential. You will be required to provide immediate and continuing support to ensure the success of combat operations or the availability of combat-essential systems.
Your resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-08 grade level or pay band in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private or public sector. Specialized experience must demonstrate the following: 1) Performing daily airfield checks to include safety, Foreign Object Damage and equipment conditions on the airfield runways, taxiways, parking aprons, ramps, facilities and airfield lighting systems; 2) coordinating corrective actions during unsafe conditions and makes recommendations to close the airfield until the safety risk is mitigated; and 3) coordinating daily airfield construction and maintenance projects.
Additional qualification information can be found from the following Office of Personnel Management web site: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/#url=List-by-Occupational-Series
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment.
The following shows the amounts of education and/or experience required to qualify for positions covered by this standard. Equivalent combinations of education and experience are qualifying for all grade levels for which both education and experience are acceptable.
Master's or equivalent graduate degree
2 full years of progressively higher-level graduate education leading to such a degree
LL.B. or J.D., if related
Undergraduate and Graduate Education: Major study - accounting, business administration, business or commercial law, commerce, economics, engineering, finance, industrial management, statistics, traffic management, transportation, motor mechanics, nautical science, marine affairs, marine engineering, marine transportation, or other fields related to the position.
A transcript must be submitted with your application if qualifying using education. See Required Documents for additional information.
- Address NAVAL AIR STATION
NAS Whiting Field
Milton, FL 32501
- Name: Department of Navy EIC
- Email: [email protected]