Job opening: EXERCISE PROGRAM SPECIALIST
Salary: $69 107 - 89 835 per year
Published at: Sep 22 2023
Employment Type: Full-time
Click on "Learn more about this agency" button below to view Eligibilities being considered and other IMPORTANT information.
The primary purpose of this position is to serve as the focal point for the Inspector General (IG) to implement local readiness policy via review of fiscal and physical resources, manpower, and scheduling constraints which impact wing/center readiness requirements.
Programs for a range of complex constraints involved in the development of a viable wing/center IG Exercise Program.
Participates in the evaluation and critique of peacetime emergency/contingency and wartime exercises.
Manages the integration of multi-disciplinary unit resources necessary to support exercise tasks and projects.
Represents the IG with a variety of installation, functional area, local community, state and federal organizations.
- Must complete initial online questionnaire and additional assessment(s)
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Males must be registered for Selective Service, see www.sss.gov
- Disclosure of Political Appointments
- If authorized, PCS will be paid IAW JTR and AF Regulations. If receiving an authorized PCS, you may be subject to completing/signing a CONUS agreement. More information on PCS requirements, may be found at: https://afciviliancareers.com/regulatory/
- This position is subject to provisions of the DoD Priority Placement Program
- Employee must maintain current certifications
- May be required to travel by military or commercial air to conferences, meetings, or other functions away from the normal duty station.
- All federal employees are required to have direct deposit.
- Work may require access to classified information.
- This position requires a high degree of discretion in relation to sensitive information of which the incumbent is aware.
- The employee may be required to work other than normal duty hours, which may include evenings, weekends, and/or holidays.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain secret security clearance.
- IAW AF guidance, incumbent must attend the USAF Basic Inspectors Course for UEI or CCIP (as appropriate) within 90 days (180 days for ARC) of assignment to an IG position; and Wing IG inspectors of nuclear-capable (con't)
- units will complete the USAF Nuclear Inspectors Course within 180 days of assignment to an IG team. Successful completion of other courses will be accomplished IAW applicable DoD and AF regulations.
In order to qualify, you must meet the specialized experience requirements described in the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualification Standards for General Schedule Positions, Administrative and Management Positions, Miscellaneous Administration and Program Series, 0301
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Applicants must have at least one (1) year of specialized experience at the next lower grade GS-09, or equivalent in other pay systems. Examples of specialized experience includes knowledge of the mission, functions, programs, policies, structure, and operational capabilities of the wing/center in order to program resources for the exercise and evaluation program. Knowledge of existing DoD, agency, MAJCOM, federal, state, and local guidance, and procedures related to programming wing/center exercises to evaluate the mission readiness and sustainability of units assigned. Knowledge of a range of complex contingency and exercise principles in order to apply AF emergency and readiness concepts, principles, procedures, and practices to wing/center operations. Knowledge of a range of analytical and evaluative methods and techniques to assess the efficiency and effectiveness of operations and recognize and resolve discrepancies. Knowledge of military command structure, missions, programs, and organizational relationships and program goals and objectives. Knowledge of Federal, DoD, AF, state, and local emergency management agencies, laws, directives, policies, plans, and procedures for implementing the emergency management program.
Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 full years of progressively higher-level graduate education leading to such a degree. NOTE: You must submit a copy of your transcripts.
LL.M., related degree from an accredited college or university. NOTE: You must submit a copy of your transcripts.
COMBINATION OF EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION: A combination of education and experience may be used to qualify for this position as long as the computed percentage of the requirements is at least 100%. NOTE: You must submit a copy of transcripts.
FEDERAL TIME-IN-GRADE (TIG) REQUIREMENT FOR GENERAL SCHEDULE (GS) POSITIONS: Merit promotion applicants must meet applicable time-in-grade requirements to be considered eligible. One year at the GS-09 level is required to meet the time-in-grade requirements for the GS-11 level. TIG applies if you are in a current GS position or held a GS position within the previous 52 weeks. NOTE: Applicants applying as VEOA candidates who are current GS civil service employees or are prior GS civil service employees within the past 52 weeks must also meet time-in-grade requirements.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs): Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
Knowledge of existing DoD, agency, MAJCOM, federal, state, and local guidance and procedures related to programming and planning wing/center exercises to evaluate the mission assurance, mission readiness and sustainability of units assigned.
Knowledge of Air Force, MAJCOM, and wing/center mission goals and objectives; the fiscal and physical resources, manpower, and scheduling constraints which impact wing/center readiness requirements; and the relationship of the various units and agencies involved in the execution of wartime, emergency, and actual deployment plans.
Knowledge of a range of analytical, qualitative, and/or quantitative methods to evaluate and measure the effectiveness and productivity of programs, and to participate in the planning and assessment of wing/center emergency/contingency and wartime exercises.
Skill in analyzing reports to identify relevant issues, potential trends, and draw conclusions in order to make appropriate recommendations to improve future resource programming for exercises.
Ability to plan, organize, and negotiate effectively with senior specialists and management to accept and implement recommendations, where proposals involve substantial resources.
Ability to communicate clearly, concisely, and with technical accuracy, both orally and in writing; and work in a professional manner with installation leadership, as well as with local community, state, and/or Government agencies necessary to implement exercise, mobility, and contingency response actions.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
IF USING EDUCATION TO QUALIFY:
If position has a positive degree requirement or education forms the basis for qualifications, you MUST
submit transcriptswith the application. Official transcripts are not required at the time of application; however, if position has a positive degree requirement, qualifying based on education alone or in combination with experience, transcripts must be verified prior to appointment. An accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education must accredit education. Click here
to check accreditation.
Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying.
********************ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR ACTIVE DUTY SERVICES MEMBERS********************
ACTIVE DUTY SERVICE MEMBERS:
The VOW Act requires federal agencies to treat an eligible active duty service member as a veteran, disabled veteran, and preference eligible (as applicable) when applying for civil service positions before the effective release or discharge date. Appointment of military members before the release or discharge date is permissible if the member is on terminal leave. At the time the active duty member applies for a civil position, he or she must submit a "certification" memo in lieu of a DD-Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty
. Active duty members applying for a civil service position without submitting a valid certification memo or DD-Form 214 with their application will render the member ineligible for the position. The certification memo must originate from the member's military service branch on official letterhead and contain the following:
- Name/Rank/Grade of Service Member
- Branch of Armed Forces
- Dates of Active Service (Start and End Date(s)
- Expected Date of Discharge/Release from Active Duty
- Terminal leave start date (if applicable)
- Expected character of service (honorable or general) and type of separation (i.e. separation or retirement)
- Must be certified within 120 days of anticipated discharge
- Signature by, or by direction of the adjutant, personnel office, unit commander, or higher headquarters commander.
Note: The VOW Act provides tentative preference. If appointed, a DD Form-214 must be submitted upon receipt
- Address Sheppard AFB
426 5th Avenue
Sheppard AFB, TX 76311
- Name: Total Force Service Center
- Phone: 1-800-525-0102
- Email: [email protected]