Job opening: STAFF ACCOUNTANT
Salary: $84 928 - 110 406 per year
Published at: Sep 21 2023
Employment Type: Full-time
THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 5 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION.
This National Guard position is for a STAFF ACCOUNTANT, Position Description Number T5827P01 and is part of the UNITED STATES PROPERTY AND FISCAL OFFICE, National Guard.
This vacancy does not meet the criteria for appointment of annuitants.
As a Staff Accountant, GS-0510-12, you will serve as the Army National Guard level organization responsible for strategic oversight of finance and accounting operations within the Army National Guard and works with other federal agencies. The primary conduit for communication with the Department of Army, Office of Secretary of Defense, Defense Finance and Accounting Service, Treasury, Commercial Auditing firms, Office of Management and Budget, Government Accountability Office, Pentagon's HQDA-ASA-FM, Department of Army Division Inspector General's office, and NGB Financial Improvement Audit Readiness (FIAR) Team on matters pertaining to Audits, inspections (IG & ORP) and the Financial Management (FM) Certification program.
- Federal employment suitability as determined by a background investigation.
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
- Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate security clearance of the position within one year of appointment.
- Ability to establish effective professional working relationships with coworkers and customers, contributing to a cooperative working environment and successful accomplishment of the mission.
- This position is covered by the Domestic Violence Misdemeanor Amendment (30 Sep 96) of the Gun Control Act (Lautenberg Amendment) of 1968. An individual convicted of a qualifying crime of domestic violence may not perform the duties of this position.
- The incumbent fosters an environment conducive to teamwork among resource managers and decision-makers in meeting FM FIAR objectives and goals.
- Irregular and/or overtime (compensatory) hours may be required to support operational requirements or contingencies or may be required to work hours outside of the normal duty day.
- May require travel in military and/or commercial aircraft to perform temporary duty assignments.
GENERAL EXPERIENCE: All on-board Title 5 Excepted Service employees assigned to Series GS-0510 positions, are considered eligible for merit promotions if they have the competencies and a minimum of one year experience in the grade immediately below the next higher level. However, management directed reassignments or new hire candidates must have competent experiences that are commensurate/equivalent to the accounting program business with demonstrated understandings of the program's principles and concepts defined by the applicable NG Title 5 Excepted Service, Series GS-0510, position description.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Is experience that prepares the candidate to perform the prescribed duties of the position. A candidate must demonstrate the following specialized experience competencies to qualify for a position identified by its applicable position description GS-Grade, financial management certification career level.
To qualify for the GS-0510-12 Non-Supervisory Position, the candidate must be eligible for entry into the position's financial management certification career program based on the position's GS-Grade before the appointment is processed. The candidate must have at least 36 months of financial accounting and/or performance accounting experiences that led to objective and systemic examinations and resulted in assessments of the finance program's performance, efficiency, organization, program, activity or function. The candidate's experiences and competencies provided an in-depth knowledge of accounting principles and procedures. The candidate must have experiences in accounting preparation and planning with a full range of competencies in the accounting business that successfully accomplished intended purposes; met or exceeded operational efficiency; provided accurate, reliable, timely, and useful financial audit data; or, demonstrated experiences in conducting financial reviews that involved evaluating programs in terms of economical use of property and personnel. Other accounting experiences may have included adherence to prescribed policies; effective control over expenditures, liabilities, revenues, and assets; proper accounting for resources and financial transactions; compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and precedent decisions; and compliance of agency accounting systems with generally accepted accounting principles and standards. A candidate's specialized accounting or audit program experiences must include report preparations and oral presentations that involved financial findings or discovered conditions with cause-and-effect factors. The candidate must have demonstrated experiences that involved presenting researched recommendations for remedial actions such as, methods for improving the use of funds and the identification of questionable costs. A candidate must have a comprehensive understanding of the principles and concepts of the accounting business program requirements. A candidate must have accounting or audit experiences and training that demonstrates his or her abilities to lead, train subordinates, follow directions, read, retain, and comply with instructions, regulations, policies and procedures. As a condition of continued employment in the GS-0510-12 non-supervisory position, dependent on the position's certification level, the employee must complete the financial management requirements for certification within 24 months of appointment to the position.
SUMMARY OF TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES FOR THE GS-0510-12 POSITION - Is able to apply, perform, mentor, and train the following audit program discipline procedures: Accounting Operations; Compliance; Control of Funds; Financial Systems; Internal Controls; Principles of Accounting; and, Principles of Finance.
1. Degree: Accounting; or a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included - or - was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 hours may include up to six hours of credit in business law.
2. Combination of Education and Experience: At least four years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge. The candidate's background must also include ONE of the following:
1. Twenty-four semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to six hours of business law.
2. A certificate as Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination.
3. Completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial course work in accounting or auditing. For example, completed 15 semester hours however, the school course work does not fully satisfy the 24-semester-hour degree requirement as defined above in paragraph one (subject: Degree), provided that:
(a) The candidate successfully worked at the full-performance level in accounting, auditing, or a related field for example, valuation engineering or financial institution examining.
(b) A panel of at least two higher level professional accountants or auditors determined that the candidate demonstrated a good knowledge of accounting and of related and underlying fields that equals in breadth, depth, currency, and advancement levels that are normally associated with successful completion of the four-year course of study degree, as described above in Paragraph One; and,
(c) Except for literal nonconformance to the requirement of 24 semester hours in accounting, the candidate's education, training, and experience fully meet the specified requirements.
You must provide Official transcripts as documentation to support your educational claims. To receive credit for Education, you must provide documentation of proof that you meet the Education requirements for this position.
- Address UNITED STATES PROPERTY AND FISCAL OFFICE
330 OLD NISKAYUNA ROAD
LATHAM, NY 12110
- Name: New York HRO
- Email: [email protected]