Job opening: Food Service Worker
Salary: $22 - 26 per hour
Published at: Sep 19 2023
Employment Type: Full-time
This Food Service Worker position is located within the Nutrition & Food Service at the VA Medical Center in Wichita Kansas
Salary: WG 4: $21.91- $25.55 per hour
Work Schedule: Full-time shifts will vary during the hours of 5:00 am - 7:30 pm Monday - Sunday including holidays.
Bargaining Unit Status: Covered
Critical Skill Incentive: Approved
DIRECT HIRE AUTHORITY: This position is being filled using Direct-Hire Authority (5 CFR 337.201) for this occupation.
Major duties and responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Sets up and breaks down assigned station with the correct supplies and food items;
- Portions food items into standard serving sizes using the proper utensils and specified dishware;
- Decides what food items to serve for the most common diets when the diet card or tray ticket identifies only the kind of diet called for;
- Provides patients with basic information about modified diets and the nutrition services that are available;
- Identifies obvious discrepancies between the prescribed diets and the food items designated by the menu;
- Follows directions in assembling, measuring, weighing, or mixing ingredients for basic formulas and supplemental feedings following standardized recipes and using sanitary techniques;
- Delivers meal trays to the patients' bedsides; reporting the patients' comments and complaints to the supervisor or dietitian;
- Provides assistance to cooks in the food preparation area including assembling, labeling and arranging completed recipe items in preparation for use by cooks;
- Prepares fresh fruit/cold salads/dressings/sandwich fillings and cold sandwiches and simple cold desserts along with individual and bulk nourishments and supplement foods and beverages for patients;
- Makes final check of diet trays assembled by lower grade workers for completeness, correct food temperatures;
- Works in one or more functional areas of the kitchen such as food preparation, dish and pot washing, dry and refrigerated storage and receiving, and the serving line;
- Performs heavy-duty cleaning tasks throughout the food service and related areas;
- Performing other duties as assigned.
Work Schedule: 5:00am-7:30pm (Various 8-hour shifts)
Position Description Title/PD#: Food Service Worker/PD99836S
Critical Skills Incentive: Approved
Physical Effort and Work Conditions: Work is performed in kitchen areas where the steam and heat from cooking and dishwashing equipment often cause uncomfortably high temperatures and humidity. Food service workers are regularly exposed to hot liquids, sharp cutting blades, hot working surfaces and extreme temperature changes when entering walk-in refrigeration units. Performs work requiring light to moderate physical effort. May be required to perform heavy work, such as scouring and scrubbing large size cooking utensils and pushing heavy carts and trucks in unloading, storing, and delivering supplies. Subject to continuous standing and walking, and frequent stooping, reaching, pushing, pulling, and bending. Frequently lifts or moves objects weighing up to 20 pounds unassisted and occasionally lift or move objects weighing more than 40 pounds with the assistance of others.
- You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this job
- Subject to a background/suitability investigation
- Designated and/or random drug testing may be required
- May serve a probationary period
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- A complete application package; Resume, Transcripts, etc.
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
EXPERIENCE: A specific length of training and experience is not required, but you must show evidence of training or experience of sufficient scope and quality of your ability to do the work of this position. Evidence which demonstrates you possess the knowledge, skills, and ability to perform the duties of this position must be supported by detailed descriptions of such on your resume. Applicants will be rated in accordance with the OPM Federal Wage System Qualification Standards.
SCREEN-OUT ELEMENT: Your qualifications will first be evaluated against the prescribed screen out element, which usually appears as question 1 in the on-line questionnaire. Those applicants who appear to possess at least the minimal acceptable qualification requirement are considered for further rating; those who do not are rated ineligible and are eliminated. The potential eligibles are then rated against the remainder of the Job Elements:
Dexterity and SafetyInterpret Instructions, Specifications (other than blueprint reading)MaterialsTechnical PracticesUse and Maintain Tools and EquipmentWithout more than normal supervisionWork Practices
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note: A full year of work is considered to be 35-40 hours of work per week. Part-time experience will be credited on the basis of time actually spent in appropriate activities. Applicants wishing to receive credit for such experience must indicate clearly the nature of their duties and responsibilities in each position and the number of hours a week spent in such employment.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
- Address Robert J Dole VA Medical and Regional Office Center
5500 East Kellogg Drive
Wichita, KS 67218
- Name: Samuel Morrow
- Phone: 316-685-2221 X58034
- Email: [email protected]