Job opening: Meatcutter
Salary: $21 - 25 per hour
Published at: Sep 01 2023
Employment Type: Part-time
You are responsible for the completeness and accuracy of your application package. We encourage you to read the entire announcement before starting the application process. Qualifications and requirements must be met by the announcement closing date.
This recruitment is subject to restrictions of the DoD referral system for displaced employees.
Additional positions may be filled from this announcement up to 90 days after it closes.
Serves as the Meatcutter in a Defense Commissary Agency (DeCA) location. The primary purpose of this position is to perform a full range of meatcutting tasks associated with processing beef, pork, veal, and lamb into retail ready-to-eat cuts for sale to patrons.
Position responsibilities include:
Performs a full range of meat cutting tasks associated with processing beef, pork, veal and lamb into retail and ready-to-eat cuts for sale to patrons.
Advises patrons of storage life, temperature requirements, thawing times and proper cooking procedures of meat and meat products.
Ensures all sanitation requirements for meat preparation areas are met.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or U.S. National.
- Must meet minimum age requirement. See the Additional Information section for more information.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must be registered with the Selective Service System by the announcement closing date or exempt from registration.
- May be subject to successful E-Verify check. See more information at https://www.e-verify.gov/.
- May be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, based on a completed background investigation.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain security clearance eligibility based on an appropriate background investigation.
- May be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- May be subject to one year supervisory probationary period.
- Direct Deposit of pay required.
- Physical Requirements: (1) Frequently lifts, pushes, or pulls pieces and bulk boxes of meat weighing 50-100lbs with the use of hand trucks and dollies. (2) Walks/stands continuously while working.
- Work Environment: Works in areas where temperature ranges from minus 10 degrees Fahrenheit and 50 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Tour of Duty: Irregular schedule hours, nights and/or weekends are required.
- If you are selected for this position you may be asked to submit the OF-306 , Declaration for Federal Employment.
By the announcement closing date, your resume and supporting documents must show that you meet the qualifications. Per the OPM Qualification System for Trades and Labor Occupations, how you gained the skill and/or knowledge or the length of time you have spent in this line of work is not as important as what you can do and that you have the required ability or potential to successfully perform the duties of this position. Your resume should show your specific knowledge, skill, and abilities for this position in relation to each of the elements being measured. See the How You Will Be Evaluated section of this announcement for the job elements and the Required Documents section for information regarding resume requirements.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service program (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Examples of qualifying experience:
Preparing qualifying ready-to-eat experience cuts and include: special orders such as crown roasts.
Using hand tools and operating powered meat cutting equipment.
Cleaning and sanitizing meatcutting tools, equipment and work areas to maintain required standards.
By the announcement closing date current civilian employees must have completed at least 90 days of federal civilian service since their latest nontemporary appointment from a competitive referral certificate, known as time after competitive appointment. For this requirement, a competitive appointment is one where you applied to and were appointed from an announcement open to "All US Citizens."
For qualifications determinations your resume must contain your name, a description of your duties, the number of hours worked per week and the beginning and ending dates (month/year) for each position. Resumes that do not contain this information will be marked as insufficient and applicants may not receive consideration for this position.
You may not use education to qualify.
- Address Defense Commissary Agency East
1300 E Avenue
Fort Gregg-Adams, VA 22380
- Name: DeCA East Servicing Team
- Phone: 614-692-7835
- Email: [email protected]