Job opening: Practical Nurse
Salary: $52 898 - 63 716 per year
Published at: Sep 01 2023
Employment Type: Full-time
About the Position: This position is located at the Alexander T. Augusta Military Medical Center (ATAMMC), Fort Belvoir, VA, under the Director for Behavioral Health, Department of Adult Behavioral Health, Adult Outpatient Behavioral Health.
This is a Direct Hire Solicitation
Obtain information from patients and/or family to identify major complaints, symptoms, or reason for seeking health care.
Take vital signs (blood pressure, temperature, pulse, respiration, pain level, height, weight, and measurement of waist circumference).
Provide individualized nursing care to patients based upon the provider's treatment plan, the nursing assessment and the physical, mental and emotional needs of the patient.
Prepare and administer prescribed medications, both orally and by intramuscular.
Perform nursing duties, in accordance with the current Standards of Nursing Practice, in the delivery of individualized, goal-directed nursing care.
Monitor Behavioral Health patients requiring increased safety monitoring.
Coordinate and facilitate follow-up care, communicates relevant information according to the behavioral treatment plan and documents accordingly in the health record.
Schedule behavioral health follow-up appointments, referrals and groups appointments.
Provide general support to the Nurse Case Managers.
Observe and assess patients and takes appropriate emergency action, as warranted, under the direction of the provider's orders and established protocols.
Perform crisis stabilization for behavioral health patients.
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- Selectees will be required to sign a statement (Condition of Employment) consenting to seasonal influenza vaccinations or must provide a recognized exemption.
- This position is a Testing Designated Position subject to pre-employment screening and random drug testing. Selectees will be required to consent to participation in random drug urinalysis testing.
- Immunization screening is required. Hepatitis B immunization is required for all positions with direct patient contact. Applicants may be required to show proof of other immunizations depending on the type of position.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification through the American Red Cross. Advanced certification (e.g., ALS) does not supersede BLS.
- Applicants must be able to fulfill non-privileged professional credential requirements.
- This position may require rotating shifts (i.e. work schedule that requires employees to continuously rotate from one shift to another at predetermined intervals).
- This position may require the incumbent to work during irregular work hours and/or on call which may include evenings, weekends, holidays, and/or varying work schedules
- This position requires the incumbent to maintain a current practical nursing license in a state, territory or District of Columbia.
Who May Apply: US Citizens
In order to qualify, you must meet the experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Basic Requirement for Practical Nurse:
Licensure: A current license to practice as a practical or vocational nurse in a State, territory of the United States, or the District of Columbia; OR must have applied for a license to practice. Applications of candidates possessing a license must be accompanied by a certified or photostatic copy of the license, a notarized statement attesting to the fact, or a citation of the license number and State issuing it. Non-licensed candidates who have completed their training may be appointed subject to obtaining the required license during the probationary period. Those not licensed must furnish the date on which they applied for a license and the jurisdiction involved. No person appointed pending licensure may be retained beyond the probationary period if licensure has not been attained.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement above, you must also meet the qualification requirement listed below:
Specialized Experience required for the GS-06: One year of nursing experience in a hospital, outpatient clinic, nursing home, or other supervised medical, nursing, or patient care facility that provided a practical knowledge of human body structure and sterile techniques and procedures, performing such duties as measuring patient's vital signs, utilizing a health care information system to input patient data/update records, and performing routine procedures and/or patient assessments, such as electrocardiograms (EKGs), pulmonary function tests, wound care, audiograms and vision screenings. This definition of experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade level in the federal service (GS-05).
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone--no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
- Address JT-DHA-DDAAFG DHA NCR MKT-FT BELVOIR COMM HOS
DO NOT MAIL
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060
- Name: Army Applicant Help Desk