Job opening: BLOCKER AND BRACER
Salary: $26 - 30 per hour
Published at: Sep 01 2023
Employment Type: Full-time
This is a Direct Hire Authority (DHA) solicitation utilizing the DHA for Domestic Defense Industrial Base (DIB) & Major Range and Test Facilities Base (MRTFB) in DoD to recruit and appoint qualified candidates to positions in the competitive service
About the Position: This position is located in Letterkenny Munitions Center at Letterkenny Army Depot, Chambersburg, Pennsylvania.
Secure freight such as heavy, unbalanced machinery; vehicles and equipment; industrial plant equipment; artillery; odd-shaped containers; large explosive bombs, rockets and missiles; sensitive electronic equipment; vans, gondola cars, and boxcars.
Adjust blocking and bracing to achieve optimum center of balance.
Install blocking and bracing against irregular, slanted, sloped, non-rectangular or curved walls, floors, sides, or overhead areas.
Develop plans for the fabrication of first-time or unusual material items.
Make, fit, and install wooden bracing to secure odd-shaped boxes and crates, vehicles and craft, large bombs or missiles, or sensitive unsheathed equipment in a variety of containers and conveyances.
Build temporary trestles, false floors, decking, bulkheads, or cribbing in oddshaped cargo areas or around obstacles.
Mark containers with special markings in accordance with military standards
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation. Must be able to obtain and maintain a Secret clearance.
- Must obtain a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with Hazardous Materials (HAZMAT) endorsements within 120 days of appointment and maintain for the duration of employment.
- This position is covered by the 1996 Lautenberg Amendment to the Gun Control Act of 1968. Persons convicted of a misdemeanor or felony crime of domestic violence are not eligible for this position.
- Ammunition certification in accordance with AMC-R 350-4 is required within one year of appointment.
- The applicant must pass a pre-employment physical and subsequent periodic medical examinations in accordance with DoD 6055-5-M.
- Must be able to lift up to 45 pounds.
- This position is subject to pre-employment screening, and random testing thereafter in compliance with the Federal and Department of the Army Drug Free Workplace Program.
- Travel may be required up to 5% of the time.
- This is an obligated position. r. You will be asked to sign an agreement acknowledging that you are aware of the obligation and willing to be displaced under reduction in force procedures upon the return of the former incumbent.
Who May Apply: US Citizens
In order to qualify, you must meet the experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
There is no specific length of training or experience required. However, you must be able to demonstrate, through experience shown in your written application materials that you possess the sufficient knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the work of this position without more than normal supervision.
Minimum Qualifications (Screen Out Element): Ability to do the work of an BLOCKER AND BRACER without more than normal supervision. Must be able to secure freight such as heavy, unbalanced machinery, vehicles, and equipment; industrial plant equipment; artillery; odd-shaped containers; large explosive bombs, rockets, and missiles; sensitive electronic equipment; vans, gondola cars, boxcars, and barges, working under close supervision of a work leader or journey level employee who observes tasks in progress and upon completion to make sure they are properly performed.
- Failure to meet this Screen Out Element will result in an ineligible rating.
Physical Effort: Performs heavy, strenuous, tiring work for prolonged periods. Continuously lifts, carries, and positions tools and materials weighing up to 20 kilograms (approximately 45 pounds), and often moves or positions extremely heavy items using jacks, levers, or assistance from other workers. Work continuously involves standing, stooping, reaching or similar physical activity. Must sometimes work in cramped or awkward positions and may have to climb upon or crawl under vehicles or structures.
Working Conditions: Works both inside and outside, with frequent exposure to disagreeable heat, coldness, dampness, wind and rain. Frequently exposed to noise and possible cuts, abrasions, and splinters from power sawing, handling lumber, spiking, nailing, and other work. Exposed to nose and lung irritation from dust and sawdust, and possible injuries from falling objects, swinging crane loads, etc. To avoid injuries, may wear protective eyeglasses, a face shield, protective ear devices, gloves, hard hats, hard toe shoes, or other protective equipment.
- Address AB-APF-W39Z02 LETTERKENNY MUNITIONS CENTER
DO NOT MAIL
Chambersburg, PA 17201
- Name: Army Applicant Help Desk
- Email: [email protected]