Job opening: Nurse (Clinical/Medical-Surgical)
Salary: $99 552 - 129 423 per year
Published at: Sep 01 2023
Employment Type: Multiple Schedules
About the Position: These positions are with the Defense Health Agency located at Madigan Army Medical Center, Tacoma, Washington.
This is a Direct Hire Solicitation
This is an open continuous announcement. Multiple vacancies exist and may be filled from this announcement. We accept applications on an ongoing basis; applicants will be reviewed and referred for selection at periodic cut-off dates, occurring twice a month.
Provide an advanced level of specialized nursing care to medical-surgical patients, ranging from neonates to the elderly.
Provide direct care and education to patients and families.
Provide input for decisions related to policy, procedures, and practices relevant to patient care. Utilize the nursing process to initiate
assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of care of patients.
Assist in the development of patient care plans.
Coordinate the care of complex medical-surgical patients.
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- A Personnel Security Investigation is required.
- Selectees may be required to sign a statement (Condition of Employment) consenting to seasonal influenza vaccinations or must provide a recognized exemption.
- This position is a Testing Designated Position subject to pre-employment screening and random drug testing. Selectees will be required to consent to participation in random drug urinalysis testing.
- A pre-placement medical examination may be required.
- Immunization screening may be required. Hepatitis B immunization is required for all positions with direct patient contact. Applicants may be required to show proof of other immunizations depending on the type of position.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification through the American Red Cross. Advanced certification (e.g., ALS) does not supersede BLS.
- Applicants must be able to fulfill non-privileged professional credential requirements.
- This position may include shift work (evenings, weekends, holidays).
- This position may require rotating shifts (i.e. work schedule that requires employees to continuously rotate from one shift to another at predetermined intervals).
- This position may require the incumbent to work during irregular work hours which may include evenings, weekends, holidays, and/or varying work schedules.
- This position may require the incumbent to work on call during irregular work hours which may include evenings, weekends, holidays, and/or varying work schedules.
- Moderate to heavy lifting may be required.
- This position may require the incumbent be able to obtain and maintain a determination of eligibility for a Tier 3 security investigation or access for the duration of employment. A background investigation and credit check may be required.
- Additional requirements may be determined as positions arise and will be communicated during the hiring process if you are selected.
Who May Apply: US Citizens
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Basic Requirement for Nurse (Clinical/Medical-Surgical):
Degree: A graduate or higher level degree, bachelor's degree, associate degree, or diploma from an accredited professional nursing educational program is required. This education must have been accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs, Accreditation Commission for Midwifery Education, or an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education at the time the degree was obtained. (Note: You must attach a copy of your transcripts.)
Licensure: A current, active, full, and unrestricted license or registration as a professional nurse from a State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States; and you must have passed the National Council Licensure Examination.
Foreign Degree: A degree from a Foreign Nursing School. Official certification from the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools is required for individuals who graduated from foreign nursing schools.
Exemption: You are exempt from the basic requirements above if you are a current federal employee occupying a position in the 0610 occupational series and have been continuously employed in this occupational series since September 27, 2017 or before. Applicants claiming this exemption must meet the requirement below. Note: You will be required to provide appropriate documentation to the respective Human Resources Office to validate your status.
Degree or diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed by the applicant.
Active, current registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualification requirements listed below:
Education/Experience: A diploma, associate degree, or bachelor's degree in Nursing from a professional nursing program and possession of at least one full year of professional nursing experience (equivalent to the GS-09 grade level or above) which includes providing nursing care to surgical patients, administering medications and assessing patients.
Education: A PhD or equivalent doctoral degree from a professional nursing educational program or related medical science field.
Exemption: You are exempt from the qualification requirements above if you are a current federal employee occupying a position in the 0610 occupational series and have been continuously employed in this occupational series since September 27, 2017 or before. Applicants claiming this exemption must meet one of the requirement below. Note: You will be required to provide appropriate documentation to the respective Human Resources Office to validate your status.
Completion of all requirements for a doctoral degree (Ph.D. or equivalent) from a professional nursing program.
3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education from a professional nursing program.
At the Defense Health Agency (DHA), our Mission is to support the National Defense Strategy and Service Military Departments by leading the Military Health System (MHS) as an integrated, highly reliable system of medical training, readiness, and health. As the health care delivery arm of the MHS, DHA is crucial to supporting the Department of Defense's integrated system of readiness and health. DHA manages a global health care network of military and civilian medical professionals and more than 400 military hospitals and clinics around the world.
DHA is a joint, integrated Combat Support Agency that enables the Army, Navy, and Air Force medical services to provide a medically ready force and ready medical force to Combatant Commands in both peacetime and wartime. The DHA supports the delivery of integrated, affordable, and high quality health services to the MHS beneficiaries and is responsible for driving greater integration of clinical and business processes across the MHS.
See Qualifications section for education requirements.
- Address JT-DHA-DD83DE DHA PUGET SOUND MKT-MADIGAN
DO NOT MAIL
Joint Base Lewis McChord, WA 98431
- Name: Army Applicant Help Desk