Job opening: Dental Assistant
Salary: $37 696 - 49 009 per year
Published at: Sep 01 2023
Employment Type: Multiple Schedules
About the Position: This is an open continuous announcement. Multiple vacancies exist and may be filled from this announcement. We accept applications on an ongoing basis; qualified applicants will be considered as vacancies become available.
This is a Direct Hire Solicitation.
A recruitment or relocation incentive may be authorized.
Salary negotiation may be available for those candidates who are new to Federal service.
Perform inter-oral procedures as directed by the Dentist.
Take preliminary impressions for study models, remove sutures, place and remove rubber dams, perio-packs, matrix bands, and wedges.
Operate dental X-ray equipment to take intra and extra-oral radiographs.
Chart examination and treatment information as relayed by dentist to patient records.
Relay dentist's instructions to patient for post-treatment care.
Prepare and arrange all instruments and materials needed for each treatment.
Maintain dental equipment in a clean and operative condition.
Obtain and record related medical history of patient, and route patient for medical tests and services when required.
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- A Personnel Security Investigation is required.
- Selectees will be required to sign a statement (Condition of Employment) consenting to seasonal influenza vaccinations or must provide a recognized exemption.
- This position is a Testing Designated Position subject to pre-employment screening and random drug testing. Selectees will be required to consent to participation in random drug urinalysis testing.
- A pre-placement medical examination is required.
- Immunization screening is required. Hepatitis B immunization is required for all positions with direct patient contact. Applicants may be required to show proof of other immunizations depending on the type of position.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification through the American Red Cross. Advanced certification (e.g., ALS) does not supersede BLS.
- Moderate to heavy lifting may be required.
- This position may require the incumbent to work during irregular work hours which may include evenings, weekends, holidays, and/or varying work schedules.
- This position may require the incumbent to work weekends and/or holidays.
- This position may require the incumbent to work on call during irregular work hours which may include evenings, weekends, holidays, and/or varying work schedules.
- This position may require rotating shifts (i.e. work schedule that requires employees to continuously rotate from one shift to another at
- This position may include shift work (evenings, weekends, holidays).
- Additional requirements may be determined as positions arise and will be communicated during the hiring process if you are selected.
Who May Apply: US Citizens
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Radiology Certification: Public Law 97-35 requires that persons who administer radiologic procedures meet the credentialing standards in 42 CFR Part 75. Essentially, they must (1) have successfully completed an educational program that meets or exceeds the standards described in that regulation, and is accredited by an organization recognized by the Department of Education, and (2) be certified as radiographers in their field. The following meet these requirements:
(1) Persons employed by the Federal Government as radiologic personnel prior to the effective date of the regulation (January 13, 1986) who show evidence of current or fully satisfactory performance or certification of such from a licensed practitioner such as a doctor of medicine, osteopathy, dentistry, podiatry, or chiropractic who prescribes radiologic procedures to others.
(2) Persons first employed by the Federal Government as radiologic personnel after the effective date of the regulation who (a) received training from institutions in a State or foreign jurisdiction that did not accredit training in that particular field at the time of graduation, or (b) practiced in a State or foreign jurisdiction that did not license that particular field or did not allow special eligibility to take a licensure examination for those who did not graduate from an accredited educational program, provided such persons show evidence of training, experience, and competence, as determined by OPM or the employing agency.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualification requirements listed below:
Specialized Experience: One year of specialized experience which includes providing chair side assistance supporting a dental specialist by performing intra-oral procedures, charting or taking preliminary impressions, and operating dental x-ray equipment and. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service GS-04.
Education: Successful completion of at least a full four-year course of study in a dental assistant or dental hygiene program that included at least 24 semester hours of courses in radiation physics; radiation biology; radiation health, safety and protection; X-ray films and radiographic film quality, radiographic techniques; darkroom and processing techniques; and film mounting.
Combination of Experience and Education: A combination of education and experience may be used to qualify for this position as long as the computed percentage of the requirements is at least 100%. To compute the percentage of the requirements, divide your total months of experience by 12. Then divide your semester hours of education beyond two years (total semester hours minus 60) by 60. Add the two percentages.
If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
- Address DHA COE Healthcare Recruitment
DO NOT MAIL
Rock Island, IL 61299
- Name: Army Applicant Help Desk