Job opening: FREIGHT RATE SPECIALIST
Salary: $52 379 - 68 097 per year
Published at: Sep 01 2023
Employment Type: Full-time
Click on "Learn more about this agency" button below to view Eligibilities being considered and other IMPORTANT information.
The primary purpose of this position is to perform a variety of transportation classification, routing, administration, and procurement tasks pertaining to the OCONUS/CONUS shipments of hazardous materials, general supplies, tools and equipment by rail, motor, air, water, and other means.
Plans and carries out shipping arrangements for movements that are worldwide with responsibility for rates and routes to final destination. Receives and processes shipping requests or other authority for shipment.
Performs difficult and complex classification, routing, and rating of shipments. Submits requests to Surface Deployment and Distribution Command (SDDC) via Cargo Movement Operations System (CMOS) for routing of all shipments administered by the section.
Conducts pre- and post-audits and maintains shipping documentation, and performs carrier evaluations. Conducts pre-audits prior to the payment of freight bill processed in Cargo Operation Movement System (CMOS) and billed to the appropriate banking system.
Provides technical guidance and advice on problems in all phases of outbound/inbound shipping. Assists other personnel in assigning proper classification to items received as new stock.
- U.S. Citizenship Required
- Males must be registered for Selective Service, see www.sss.gov
- If authorized, PCS will be paid IAW JTR and AF Regulations. If receiving an authorized PCS, you may be subject to completing/signing a CONUS agreement. More information on PCS requirements, may be found at: https://afciviliancareers.com/regulatory/
- Disclosure of Political Appointments
- Must be able to obtain and maintain appropriate HAZMAT training and/or certification IAW governing agencies requirements.
- The employee may be required to work other than normal duty hours, which may include evenings, weekends,
- Work may occasionally require travel away from the normal duty station on military or commercial aircraft.
- Utilizes required security and safety practices and procedures. The employee will wear protective safety equipment and clothing when appropriate.
- Will be required to receive training on and be proficient in applicable data management systems to include
military and commercial off the shelf products which are used in the management of cargo entry, data collection and technical orders.
- This is a Mission-Essential position performing a Mission-Critical-Function which must continue uninterrupted
after the occurrence of an emergency and continued through full resumption of all functions.
- Employee must be able to obtain and maintain a SECRET security clearance.
- This position has been designated by the Air Force as a Testing Designated Position (TDP) under the Air Force Civilian Drug Demand Reduction Program.
- Employee must pass initial and periodic short notice drug testing. Illegal drug use by employees in sensitive positions presents a clear threat to the mission of the Air Force, national security, and public safety.
- Position requires access to firearms. Persons convicted of a misdemeanor or felony crime of domestic violence may not occupy this position in accordance with the Gun Control Act of 1968, as amended 30 Sep 96.
- Employee must sign DD Form 2760, Qualification to Possess Firearms or Ammunition.
In order to qualify, you must meet the specialized experience requirements described in the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualification Standards for General Schedule Clerical and Administrative Support Positions.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Applicants must have at least one (1) year of specialized experience at the next lower grade GS-07, or equivalent in other pay systems. Examples of specialized experience includes knowledge of published classification guides, rate tariffs, agreements, contracts and related carrier and Federal publications. Knowledge of a wide range of commercial tariffs and tenders to properly rate and route freight/cargo shipments. Knowledge of transportation regulations, methods, and techniques relating to the movement of freight in order to affect shipment of commodities. Knowledge of safety and security practices and procedures.
FEDERAL TIME-IN-GRADE (TIG) REQUIREMENT FOR GENERAL SCHEDULE (GS) POSITIONS: Merit promotion applicants must meet applicable time-in-grade requirements to be considered eligible. One year at the GS-07 level is required to meet the time-in-grade requirements for the GS-08 level. TIG applies if you are in a current GS position or held a GS position within the previous 52 weeks. NOTE: Applicants applying as VEOA candidates who are current GS civil service employees or are prior GS civil service employees within the past 52 weeks must also meet time-in-grade requirements.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs): Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
1. Knowledge of published classification guides, rate tariffs, agreements, contracts and related carrier and Federal publications.
2. Knowledge of a wide range of commercial tariffs and tenders to properly rate and route freight/cargo shipments.
3. Knowledge of transportation regulations, methods, and techniques relating to the movement of freight in order to affect shipment of commodities.
4. Knowledge of safety and security practices and procedures.
5. Skill in communicating factual and procedural information clearly, orally and in writing.
6. Ability to apply procedures and directives by reading and interpreting transportation related instructions and guidelines.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
- Address JBSA Fort Sam Houston
2484 Stanley Rd, Bldg 2263, Ste 323
JBSA Fort Sam Houston, TX 78234
- Name: Total Force Service Center
- Phone: 1-800-525-0102
- Email: [email protected]