Job opening: Student Trainee (Information Technology)
Salary: $16 - 21 per hour
Published at: Sep 01 2023
Employment Type: Part-time
This position will be part of the Pathways Program, and if selected, you will serve as a Student Intern for a comprehensive development program intended to prepare the employee for a career in the Information Technology field. The developmental program will involve various components, including formal training, as well as on-the-job experience, and mentorship. This position is part of a team providing on-site IT support at the National Centers for Animal Health in Ames, IA.
The duties may include, but are not limited to:
Assists senior IT Specialists in resolving a wide variety of small-scale problems with computer systems, equipment, and software.
Supports audio-visual equipment in conference rooms and auditoriums as needed.
Carries out strategies to resolve problems and recover normal system operations.
Assists senior IT Specialists in implementing procedures to ensure information systems? reliability and accessibility.
Assists with the rigorous application of information cybersecurity policies, principles, and other rules and procedures as appropriate in the delivery of all IT services.
- You must be a US Citizen or US National.
- Individuals who were born male after 12/31/1959 must be Selective Service registered or exempt.
- Must be in good academic standing as defined by their academic institution.
- Complete at least 640 hrs of work experience prior to completion of degree.
- Enrolled at least half-time at a qualifying educational institution.
- A signed participant agreement is required for employment under Pathways.
- Satisfactory Background investigation and/or fingerprint check.
- Successful completion of two-year trial period.
- Direct Deposit: Per Public Law 104-134 all Federal employees are required to have federal payments made by direct deposit to their financial institution.
- Successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit https://www.e-verify.gov/
Applicants must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of the announcement, including specialized experience and/or education, as defined below.
ELIGIBILITY: Students who are currently enrolled or accepted for enrollment on at least a half-time basis at a qualifying educational institution in a certificate, degree, or diploma program.
Applicants can qualify by meeting the EDUCATION requirements specified below.
GS-3: Completion of 1 full academic year of post-high school study.
An academic year of undergraduate education is defined as a minimum of 30 semester or 45 quarter hours at an accredited college or university; OR
A minimum of 36 weeks at an accredited business, technical, vocational, or qualifying educational institution for at least 20 classroom hours per week.
GS-4: Completion of 2 full academic years (60 semester or 90 quarter hours) of post-high school study or an associate's degree.
This position requires certain educational requirements for conversion to a term or permanent position after graduation. Upon graduation, you must meet the following education requirement to be eligible for conversion to a position in the GS-2210, Information Technology Job series: Degree in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management or degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks.
- Address Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
USDA APHIS MRPBS
250 Marquette Avenue, Suite 410
Minneapolis, MN 55401
- Name: APHIS Human Resources
- Phone: 612-336-3227
- Email: [email protected]