Job opening: WOOD WORKER (T32)
Salary: $23 - 27 per hour
Published at: Aug 31 2023
Employment Type: Full-time
THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 32 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION.
This National Guard position is for a WOOD WORKER (T32), Position Description Number D1218000 and is part of the AL CSMS 1, National Guard.
ORGANIZATION: CSMS #1, MONTGOMERY, AL
SELECTING OFFICIAL: MAJ R. JONES
(1) Plans, constructs, and repairs a wide range of custom wood containers, parts, and items, of irregular shapes and sizes, in support of maintenance activities. These items include shipping crates, storage boxes, toolboxes, parts bins, dividers, automotive equipment, truck beds, special equipment cases, etc. May revise standard items to fabricate products. In addition, plans and constructs furniture braces, Formica desktops, counter tops, credenzas, bookcases, etc., where concern for final appearance of work in required.
(2) Resolves complex construction problems and uses special bracing requirements for heavy items (automotive equipment, truck beds), sensitive equipment and items (hazardous materials), delicate and sensitive electronic equipment (calibration items), etc. Utilizes shop plans, blueprints, and item specifications to develop bracing points based on weight, gravity points, method of shipment, potential for shifting or damage, etc.
(3) Plans and lays out work and materials in accordance with blueprints, drawings, and specifications, and knowledge of custom wood and wood substitute items. Measures and selects proper materials and tools. Determines the type and extent of construction or repair necessary to modify and restore standard and nonstandard containers.
(4) Sets up and uses a variety of stationary power tools to make construction features such as joints and grooves, e.g., rabbetted edge lap joints; tongue and grove and doweled edge joints; end lap joints; dado and dado rabbet grooves and joints; and locked corners. Sets up, adjusts, and adapts hand and power tools and devices to measure, cut, fit, join, and install wooden parts.
(5) Maintains and performs operator preventive maintenance on tools and equipment, to include lubrication of power tools and sharpening of saw blades.
(6) Performs other duties as assigned.
- NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED. If you are not sure you are eligible for military membership, please contact a National Guard recruiter prior to applying for this position.
- This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the employing state's National Guard, required prior to the effective date of placement.
- Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform.
- Applicants who are not currently a member of the National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership and employment in the National Guard in the military grade listed in this announcement.
- COVID19: Please see, additional information.
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
- Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
MILITARY REQUIREMENTS: This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military grade in the Alabama Army National Guard. Applicants who are not currently a member of the Alabama Army National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership. If you are not sure you are eligible for military membership, please contact an Alabama Army National Guard recruiter at 800-464-8273 prior to applying for this position.
MAXIMUM MILITARY RANK: MSG
*Other Requirements: For positions requiring the operation of motor vehicles, candidates must have a valid state driver's license.
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: Each applicant must fully substantiate (in his/her own words) that he/she meets the requirements of the Specialized Experience listed below: Otherwise, the applicant will be considered unqualified for this position. DO NOT COPY THE VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT OR THE POSITION DESCRIPTION. DOING SO MAY RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION FOR THE POSITION.
GENERAL EXPERIENCE: Experience or training which demonstrates the ability to use hand and powered tools, machines, and measuring and squaring devices to cut, nail, staple, screw, bolt or fasten wood and wood-like boards, sheets, parts, or sections.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Must possess at least 12 months of experience or training in woodworking techniques to improvise or modify construction plans and patterns. Experience in making non-standard containers that incorporate several irregular shapes, sizes, and features. Experience in operating woodworking machines to make varied and complex construction features. Experience machining complex joints. Experience that provides a thorough knowledge of the characteristics of hard and soft woods and wood substitutes used in container construction and repair. Experience in determining the type and extent of construction or repair necessary to modify and restore standard and nonstandard containers.
SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION IS NOT CONSIDERED FOR WAGE GRADE POSITIONS.
- Address AL CSMS 1
1780 Congressman Dickinson Dr
Montgomery, AL 36109-0711
- Name: Roberto Jones
- Phone: 334-213-7678
- Email: [email protected]