Job opening: MACHINIST
Salary: $35 - 41 per hour
Published at: Aug 11 2023
Employment Type: Full-time
THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 32 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION.
This position is located in the Joint Forces Headquarters-State, Logistics Directorate (J-4), Surface Maintenance Facility.
DEFINITION OF AREA(S) OF CONSIDERATION:
Area 1 = Warrant Officer (CW4 - Below) and Enlisted members of the Louisiana National Guard.
Duties & Responsibilities:
(1) Fabricates complex and non-routine items that require numerous intricate steps, precise measurements, unusual and compound angles, or nonstandard applications of standard equipment. Performs machining work to manufacture castings, forgings, weldments, and other fabrications. May develop and manufacture specialized tools to manufacture new parts, work rare metals or special alloys, or achieve special finishes.
(2) Plans and lays out work from blueprints, sketches, drawings, or specifications. Lays out work by measuring and marking straight lines, arcs, circles, angles, and location points for setting up work pieces for drilling, tapping, turning, milling, boring, reaming, shaping, grinding, honing, and lapping. Frequently interprets or completes dimensions, tolerances, or specifications that are incomplete or incorrect. This may involve partial changes or complete redesign of items to achieve desired results. Uses a variety of measuring and marking tools, including rules, vernier calipers, micrometers (inside, outside, and depth), dial indicators, surface gauges height gauges, squares, protractors, dividers, and scribes.
(3) Performs machine setups using advanced shop mathematics, and geometric and trigonometric formulas, to compute compound angles, angular indexing, hole patterns, pitch lead, and pitch diameters for various standard and non-standard threads. Determines procedures, tools, machines, equipment, and attachments to use. Occasionally performs machine work that requires new or untried procedures. Performs special setups and improvises conventional machines to perform special machining operations. This requires special knowledges of tooling, types of coolants, machine feeds, and speeds for special operations.
(4) Sets up and operates most types of conventional and/or Computer Numerical Control (CNC) machine tools such as lathes; vertical and horizontal boring mills; bench, plane, or universal milling machines; shapers and planers; internal and external grinders, thread grinders; and radial drills. Grinds and sharpens tools, selects tools, jigs, and fixtures required to achieve specific dimensions, tolerances, and surface finishes. Sets up work in vises and between centers, uses chucks, standard faceplates, angle plate mountings, and collets. Uses mandrel and various other machine tool attachments such as rotary vises, dividing heads, taper attachments, magnetic checks, vertical milling heads, tapping attachments, and rotary tables. Adjusts and sets speeds and feeds of machinery and determines coolants, lubricants, and abrasives to be used, taking into consideration the characteristics of both the machinery and the materials to be worked. Operates machine tools to cut, drill, bore, tap, ream, shape, turn, mill, grind, hone, and lap items. Maintains dimensional accuracy during machining processes frequently, machining to tolerances that are difficult to attain or hold.
(5) Performs precision handwork to finish, fit, and assemble machined parts. Uses various bench-mounted and hand-held powered and non-powered tools such as files, drills, reamers, and buffers. Performs heat-treating, welding, and soldering.
(6) Performs other duties as assigned.
GENERAL EXPERIENCE: Must possess experience or training that has provided the candidate with a basic knowledge of machining processes; have the ability to use drill presses, shapers, planers and other types of associated machine tools.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Must possess at least Twenty-four (24) months experience or training performing the full range of machining operations on most types of conventional or CNC machine tools and their various attachments; experience or training in planning and lay out work from blueprints, worksheets and other drawings that may have missing or incorrect information; skill in applying shop mathematics in establishing needed dimensions, such as those required for chasing threads or machining angular surfaces; locating and marking surfaces and angles to be machined; skill in programming machining operations, setting up and operating CNC machine tools; knowledge of and ability to apply advanced shop mathematics such as geometric and trigonometric formulas to make computation for laying out work, machining pieces at unusual or compound angles, determining gear ratios pitch, angles and other similar exact or precision dimension.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT & NOTES:
1. Must be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate security clearance of the position.
2. This position is covered by the Domestic Violence Misdemeanor Amendment (30 Sep 96) of the Gun Control Act (Lautenberg Amendment) of 1968. An individual convicted of a qualifying crime of domestic violence may not perform the duties of this position.
3. Ability to establish effective professional working relationships with coworkers and customers, contributing to a cooperative working environment and successful accomplishment of the mission.
*4. Irregular and/or overtime (compensatory) hours may be required to support operational requirements or contingencies or may be required to work hours outside of the normal duty day.
5. The duties and responsibilities of your job may significantly impact the environment. You are responsible to maintain awareness of your environmental responsibilities as dictated by legal and regulatory requirements, your organization, and its changing mission.
You must provide transcripts and/or other documentation as proof to support your Educational claims, and receive credit to meet the Education requirements for this position.
- Address LA ARNG CONSOLIDATED SERVICES AND MAINTENANCE SHOP
119 WEST RANGE ROAD
PINEVILLE, LA 71360
- Name: LANG HRO INBOX
- Phone: 504-278-8600
- Email: [email protected]